Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What does "race intelligence" do exactly?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> What does "race intelligence" do exactly? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 3:35:33 PM   
hardcoregamer

Does it impact research or does it affect actual AI behavior?

I am not really sure what race intelligence is suppose to do in terms of game mechanics.
Post #: 1
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 3:44:20 PM   
Shark7

It has several impacts on the AI behavior...from ship design and fleet numbers to diplomacy and intel missions.

Intelligence is probably the most important of all the race factors.

If you'll notice, the higher intelligence races have better tech, more ships available, and tend to be better at diplomacy and less likely to go to war with multiple empires.

And of course, it does affect research speed.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to hardcoregamer)
Post #: 2
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 4:05:16 PM   
Plant

I am not sure they affect things like ship design and fleet numbers and diplomacy and intel missions. I think those are hard coded to the specific race in question.

Intelligence affects research speed and troop strength. There is a table somebody made somewhere for troop strength if I can find it.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 4:26:44 PM   
ASHBERY76

It influences tech speed and nothing else.The other stuff is based on the policy and race files and can be changed.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 4
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 5:23:13 PM   
Deathball

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

It influences tech speed and nothing else.The other stuff is based on the policy and race files and can be changed.

It also gives bonuses to troop strength.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 5:43:07 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathball

quote:

No that would be this.

'Troop strength: raw strength of new troops for this race. Minimum value = 50. Maximum value = 200
TroopStrength ;92

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 6
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 6:18:24 PM   
Deathball

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathball

quote:

No that would be this.

'Troop strength: raw strength of new troops for this race. Minimum value = 50. Maximum value = 200
TroopStrength ;92

Thats the base strength. Once you build a troop that base gets adjusted for aggression, intelligence, tech etc.

Edit: After testing it it seems thats no longer true, so yeah, its just the base strength now.

< Message edited by Deathball -- 11/25/2013 7:29:31 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/25/2013 7:14:36 PM   
ASHBERY76

It was all changed in the expansions.The old pedia descriptions are way out of date.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 8
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/26/2013 4:58:35 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Plant

I am not sure they affect things like ship design and fleet numbers and diplomacy and intel missions. I think those are hard coded to the specific race in question.

Intelligence affects research speed and troop strength. There is a table somebody made somewhere for troop strength if I can find it.

Shadows ship templates changed a lot. Intelligence used to have a big impact on ship design. The 'stupid' species would design ships without certain components prior to shadows, even if they had the tech available. Go back to the earlier versions of the game (pre-expansion) and you will definitely see the effect of a species being stupid.

Also, the latest versions of the game have a troop strength 'base' over-ride that can be set by modding it. So even troop strength isn't affected like it used to be.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 9
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/26/2013 5:42:28 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Shadows ship templates changed a lot. Intelligence used to have a big impact on ship design. The 'stupid' species would design ships without certain components prior to shadows, even if they had the tech available. Go back to the earlier versions of the game (pre-expansion) and you will definitely see the effect of a species being stupid.

Also, the latest versions of the game have a troop strength 'base' over-ride that can be set by modding it. So even troop strength isn't affected like it used to be.

Races actually designing their ships in a manner that doesn't make sense sounds like a very interesting feature. Why was this removed?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/26/2013 11:01:26 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Races actually designing their ships in a manner that doesn't make sense sounds like a very interesting feature. Why was this removed?

The race design templates simply over-ride it. You will notice in the designs that the official ship designs have the stupid aliens making bad decisions still.

The design templates were a big request item from the player base, mostly due to the fact that the player could design hugely over-powering ships. The templates allow players to keep their own designs, while bring AI designs up to the same level.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 11
RE: What does "race intelligence" do exactly? - 11/27/2013 7:13:41 PM   
Plant

quote:

ORIGINAL: hardcoregamer

They still don't design ships in a manner that makes sense.

Anyhow, Atuuks might look like Ewoks, but they are actually a space faring civilisation. It's a bit silly for their scientists to research technologies for use on their space ships, but purposely forgot to slap it onto their spaceship designs because they are "very stupid".

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> What does "race intelligence" do exactly? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI