Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/24/2013 7:14:10 PM   
hardcoregamer

Yes I know it will spoil some of the story or something I guess, but I don't care.

Can you tell me about all of the sectet super weapons and secet weapons in general that you can discover in the game? They aren't found in the galactic wiki and I want to know about them without having to find all of them first through trial and error.

I have already found something called "The Death Ray" which the game tells me is a super beam weapon, but I don't even know what that means. What is that? And what are the other secret weapons I can find?
Post #: 1
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/24/2013 9:31:39 PM   
Deathball

The Death Ray is just a really strong beam weapon. It has ridiculously high damage but correspondingly high size, energy consumption and a slow rate of fire. The others are the Devastator Pulse, which is the same but for area weapons and the Super Laser, which is the planet killer gun the Death Star uses.

(in reply to hardcoregamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/24/2013 9:45:39 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathball

The Death Ray is just a really strong beam weapon. It has ridiculously high damage but correspondingly high size, energy consumption and a slow rate of fire. The others are the Devastator Pulse, which is the same but for area weapons and the Super Laser, which is the planet killer gun the Death Star uses.

Can you use the super laser in your own designs to create your own death star style ships? Or can only world devastators which I hear you can find use them?

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/25/2013 4:18:48 AM   
Deathball

Any ship can use them, you can build planet-destroying freighters if you want to.

Post #: 4
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/25/2013 3:39:55 PM   
Plant

The death ray has high first strike damage, but does very little damage over time. Not that this matters much, as most AI ships don't have enough shields to withstand the first strike. Or you miss entirely.

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 5
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/25/2013 3:58:42 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: hardcoregamer

quote:

Can you use the super laser in your own designs to create your own death star style ships? Or can only world devastators which I hear you can find use them?

Yep, once you find or steal the super-weapons, you can use them in your own designs. However, remember that they are very large (space taken), have extremely high power draw (more reactors needed), have slow recharge times (fewer shots per minute), and tend to miss...a lot.

I've actually found it better to stuff my ships with large numbers of more standard weapons than to depend on a one shot wonder like the super-laser.

What is all comes down to really is the rate of fire. Its a 'more lead in the air = more damage over time' thing.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 6
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/25/2013 4:49:41 PM   
hardcoregamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

quote:

Yep, once you find or steal the super-weapons, you can use them in your own designs. However, remember that they are very large (space taken), have extremely high power draw (more reactors needed), have slow recharge times (fewer shots per minute), and tend to miss...a lot.

I've actually found it better to stuff my ships with large numbers of more standard weapons than to depend on a one shot wonder like the super-laser.

What is all comes down to really is the rate of fire. Its a 'more lead in the air = more damage over time' thing.

Doesn't this just apply to smaller ships?

Large ships like capitali ships move slower right? And what about space stations and bases? Also, can't you use the super laser to blow up planets as well?

And since you mentioned space/size. The larger you make your ship in the ship design screen, will the actual ship itself appear larger in-game? Or is the size number in the design screen only used for the sake of being able to guess costs and the number of components in the ship/station?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/26/2013 4:52:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

quote:

Doesn't this just apply to smaller ships?

Large ships like capitali ships move slower right? And what about space stations and bases? Also, can't you use the super laser to blow up planets as well?

And since you mentioned space/size. The larger you make your ship in the ship design screen, will the actual ship itself appear larger in-game? Or is the size number in the design screen only used for the sake of being able to guess costs and the number of components in the ship/station?

Yes, larger ships are slower, and they do appear larger (physical image) in game. However, the space/size I am referring to is how much stuff you can actually stuff into the hull before hitting your construction limit.

If you want to destroy planets, then you need the super-laser. I prefer not to use it, as I can't conquer and colonize the planet if I destroy it. I personally conquer, set to enslave for the population, then once I get some of my own species moved onto the planet, switch to exterminate policy. That way I rid myself of the unwanted species (I do this with the insects), and still get to keep a populated planet.

Bases, with their large size are good candidates for the super weapons. Since you don't have to spend space on engines with the defense bases, you can get more than 1 super weapon on them. Still their is the whole slow weapon recharge thing to consider. I have used the super area weapon in the past, but have switched to using more fighter bays recently. I just don't like using the super weapons that much.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 8
RE: Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? - 11/27/2013 7:08:53 PM   
Plant

AI designed larger ships are slower becuase the AI design them to be. You as the player is under no such compunction.
You can place the superlaser (I think that is the name of the death star gun) on bases as far as I can remember, but not on private sector ships, but you may not want to, as the superlaser does area damage if it hits. Once I obliterated most of my fleet when assaulting a station becuase of this. And the planet underneath it.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Can you tell me about all of the secret super weapons? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI