Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Civ V

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Civ V Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Civ V - 11/22/2013 8:34:28 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Has Civ V shaped up these past few years to be any decent? I'm talking pre Brave New World.

I never played any of the series but I know fans of earlier versions thought it dumbed down for the masses. With all the expansions, especially the Gods and Kings, has it ended up being something you'd recommend?

Thanks
mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 8:47:09 AM   
Terminus

It's pretty good, I'd say. I come back to it every once in a while, with both main expansions installed, BTW.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 8:59:38 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thanks. I might look into it a little further.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 10:58:19 AM   
BASB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's pretty good, I'd say. I come back to it every once in a while, with both main expansions installed, BTW.

Hey just started playing it again today what are the two main expansions?

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:02:23 AM   
Terminus

The ones Mo_Reb mentioned, Brave New World and Gods and Kings.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 5
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:36:27 AM   
**budd**

I just starting playing this the past few days after picking up the scrambled continents map pack. Civ 2 was the one i probably played the most followed by 3....Civ 4 just a little. Can't say alot about being dumbed down yet but what i can say is it develops alot slower than the earlier ones[2,3] and it's easy to play, everything you need to know is a mouse click away or so it seems to me. I like the slower pace and the UI alot so far. I do have G&K and BNW installed. I read that the AI doesn't do war very well, so we'll see on that front. So far i like the pace,graphics, and UI. I'm not sure how i feel about not being able to stack units or pass through units yet.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:56:24 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I believe you can in fact pass through units, just not end your turn stacked. Of course that would probably not help if you have several units bunched up.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 7
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 12:18:44 PM   
**budd**

that was probably the case, i'll pay more attention.Thx

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 8
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 2:30:24 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I would agree, Brave New World really enhanced the game imo.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 4:04:56 PM   
Numdydar

I would never go back to earlier versions after playing Brave New World. Really did amazing things for the game imho

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 10
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 7:40:45 PM   
Max 86

Civ 5 Gold + Brave New World is available from Amazon for US$19.99, electronic download.

http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-Brave-World-Online-Game/dp/B00ELJROFA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385152699&sr=8-6&keywords=civ+5

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 11
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:12:13 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max 86

Civ 5 Gold + Brave New World is available from Amazon for US$19.99, electronic download.

http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-Brave-World-Online-Game/dp/B00ELJROFA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385152699&sr=8-6&keywords=civ+5

Never mind. Looks like it does include bnw. So is it digital dl? Played the demo last night which convinced me to purchase.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 11/23/2013 12:16:37 AM >

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 12
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:15:24 PM   
Twotribes

Never liked Civ, The best Governments can't effectively fight wars and I buy WAR games.

Post #: 13
RE: Civ V - 11/22/2013 11:17:33 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I remember playing the heck out of the primitive Imperialism II.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 14
RE: Civ V - 11/23/2013 4:46:56 PM   
DSWargamer

It all depends on why you actually play a game.

In Civ you CAN get a serious butt stomping if you are not trying.

Is it fair to say the AI is seriously any good? Well let's just ditch the whole argument and ask, do you like playing any game where the chance of winning only comes from needing to seriously think out how to win?

In multi player mode vs another human, I am lucky to win 1 game in 5, and that likely is do to how 1 game in 5 will put my human opponent in a crummy starting position :)

I liked IV just fine until I realized how much better V was. No masses of AI schlock from the dawn of time in massive stacks making the game a silly process. No more stacks of workers doing auto 1 turn completion of tasks.

It isn't easy learning to use position well, and picking the right mix of forces in V, but then, who said wargames were supposed to be easy eh. Anyone that likes Panzer Corps couldn't hate playing Civ V. One of the best parts of the game too, is how many methods of play are open. You can set the game up so they only way to win is through non violent means too. So it doesn't need to be always about the combat.

I find I can burn out my interest in the game easy enough. But you can also say it's one of the easiest games to constantly go back to as well.

I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.

Post #: 15
RE: Civ V - 11/24/2013 9:12:34 PM   
RedArgo

I like Civ 5, it is the game I've played the most in recent months. I do have both expansions.

My main problem with it is the AI doesn't fight too well, frequently moving units past one city to get at one behind it, but getting pummelled all the way, then turning around to retreat without accomplishing anything.

I played my last game on an island map on Prince level and although a couple of the other civs were equal to me in tech, their navies, although large, hadn't be upgraded and as soon as I wiped them out it was easy to storm their capitals. I won a conquest game in around the year 1970.

Most satisfying though was catching Steve Jobs in the open ocean and sinking his transport. Apple would never exist in my world!

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 16
RE: Civ V - 11/24/2013 9:32:59 PM   
Gary Childress

I played the heck out of Civ 1, 2 and 3. Civ 4 I played a little. Civ 5 I still haven't purchased. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I still play Civ 3, just got into a long game with my own modded version of the conquests file.

Favorite/Awesome games from Matrix

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War
Advanced Tactics Gold

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 17
RE: Civ V - 11/24/2013 10:10:49 PM   
Zorch

I really like Civ V after the BNW expansion. It begs the question of where Civ can go next...

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 18
RE: Civ V - 11/25/2013 6:33:21 AM   
jamesm

I really wish I could stop playing Civ V at present. I finish a scenario then I start thinking of the next one. Very addictive game!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 19
RE: Civ V - 11/25/2013 6:58:33 AM   
dougo33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I played the heck out of Civ 1, 2 and 3. Civ 4 I played a little. Civ 5 I still haven't purchased. Doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I still play Civ 3, just got into a long game with my own modded version of the conquests file.

I have also played the heck out of the CIV series through CIV4 (friends and I play this multiplayer every chance we get). CIV5 is a good game in it's own right - it is unfair to compare it to the previous versions since so much was changed (i.e. made easier, less depth in some ways). I play a CIV5 game about once a quarter. SInce it is often on sale I would suggest grabbing it as a fall back game on long winter weekends.

my 2 cents on the subject

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 20
RE: Civ V - 11/25/2013 9:51:09 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Civ II & IV are the best, Civ V is just a watered down remake of the rest. I didn't like it at all. It moved to far away from the others for my enjoyment and became a childs toy of a game......Too bad Sid Meier had kids......cause that's what his last few games have been for.....kids.

(in reply to dougo33)
Post #: 21
RE: Civ V - 11/25/2013 2:41:39 PM   
DSWargamer

I think it kinda amusing thinking of Civ V as watered down or 'easy'. Perhaps you might like to challenge a buddy of mine and he can fold spindle and in general trash your butt in a game that being so easy will of course make you look all the more incapable :)

Too many people think cluttered and sophisticated equals harder and superior.

That sort of belief just means you think Chess is a game for idiots who can't handle detail.

I liked the earlier versions of Civ, played all of them too much. My friend and I both agree though, we have no desire to go back.

Now if they can just put real Civ on a tablet, and not make it a silly version, I'd be very amused.

I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 22
RE: Civ V - 11/25/2013 3:58:49 PM   
Iain McNeil

I personally love CiV V. Having spent more hours in Civ (possibly with the exclusion of my own but probably not!) than any other game I absolutely live the series. I played Civ and Civ II both flavours to death. Civ III I played less and I barely looked at Civ IV (all due to life pressures) but love what they have done with hexes and combat. I know its less realistic but I only really play the early game. By the mid to late game I lose interest and start again. So for the early stages I can highly recommend it but I cant comment on any tech past artillery as I think this is the furthest I usually get :)

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 23
RE: Civ V - 11/26/2013 11:06:37 AM   
aaatoysandmore

You would have liked my mod I made for Civ IV Iain as I turned the early game into the main game adjusting the years and research times. The early years lasted a very long (the majority of the turns) time as I made the years equivalent to 4 seasons a year. So one didn't get these unrealistic 50 years a click or more in the vanilla game. It was kewl seeing spearmen and legions on the map for a very long time and there was no rush of research since I made that take a long time also.

Also a little remake of Civ called CEVO is a very good game, a lot better than Civ V or its expansions by a long shot.

And to DSW Civ 5's qualities have nothing to do with me playing your friend, it has everything to do with the Game itself as a whole. It's a "watered down version" of the others, it does not have the feel or the quality of the others before it. So you and your friend can go jump in a lake for all I care, as far as you "thinking" from the looks of your other posts you haven't done much of that in your lifetime anyways. lol

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 24
RE: Civ V - 11/26/2013 12:56:40 PM   
DSWargamer

So what you are basically saying, is your opinion of what qualifies as a challenging design can't stand up to a person with actual skill then.

You can call it watered down if it suits you. Maybe you simply can't hack Civ V and need something more your speed.

I'm not concerned about your views of my thinking process though. Half the planet likely thinks you are wrong.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 25
RE: Civ V - 11/26/2013 2:38:26 PM   
wodin

Les..your going the hard way here in trying to get along and fit in mate. I'd try and curtail it abit otherwise your going to get ganged up on again and end up on everyones ignore button. Hate to say it..been your friend for awhile now, but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all.

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 26
RE: Civ V - 11/26/2013 5:04:43 PM   
Max 86

I bought civ 5 after I posted that link. I like it quite a bit. Has enough of the old stuff to let you jump right in and the in-game help is great too. All civ games have a lot of polish and they always look great and are easy to use, Civ 5 is no different. Lots of fun.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: Civ V - 11/26/2013 5:11:45 PM   
nim8or

T-H-I-N-K before communicating.

T = True - Is it true?
H = Helpful - Is it helpful?
I = Improve - Does it improve upon the silence?
N = Necessary - Is it necessary?
K = Kind - Is it kind?

If you can't answer in the affirmative to all of the above, it may be better to remain silent.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 28
RE: Civ V - 11/27/2013 11:14:22 PM   
Hawawaa

Want some good mods with Civ5 BNW go here- http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429 and https://github.com/Thalassicus/cep-bnw/releases (4 mods- Communitas Map, Cat Communitas AI and Tools, Ceg Communitas Enhanced Gameplay, Cin Communitas Interface) More info here- http://communitas.wikia.com/wiki/Communitas_Wiki and http://civmodding.wordpress.com/ you might have to dig a little

Communitas expansion is amazing (policies, random events are just around the corner and last of UI is coming online and if you want to give feedback shoot)

Also

Infoaddict, (either Ethnic Units or R.E.D Modpack and fyi these are just skins)Calypso's colored Religious Icons (basics and extended). All these can be grabbed on Steamwork shop.

I can't play without Communitas its so good.

Klingon: "Hi... my name is Andy... and am a princess...."
Sulu: "Nice lecture..." XD

(in reply to nim8or)
Post #: 29
RE: Civ V - 11/28/2013 3:43:51 AM   
DSWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Les..your going the hard way here in trying to get along and fit in mate. I'd try and curtail it abit otherwise your going to get ganged up on again and end up on everyones ignore button. Hate to say it..been your friend for awhile now, but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all.

" but honestly sometimes if you have nothing plea sent to say then don't say anything at all."

That is actually rather impressively amusing for this forum community actually. Well for some of it that is.

But I think ole Winston said it fairly well.

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

That seems to sum up a lot of the chat here. People want to be able to have their say, but can't handle people not agreeing with it.

I'm fully aware that some have not been amused that I am largely unsympathetic about a negative reactions to how I think a normally 300 dollar board game is capable of being considered a great deal at approximately 150 bucks even with unfortunate shipping calculated in, in the form of Computer WiF. Considering that this half price offer which is what it feel like, comes with substantially superior literature and a convenience program that permits playing of the game without the massive table eating paper maps.

It is unfortunate that some here sound like they are **** whipped and unable to buy their own hobby interests freely for fear of their wives complaining, even when they are able to save up for it. It's sad some need to save a little longer than others. I mean sheesh, if I tried that on mine here, I'd hope to get laughed at.

It's not in my nature to pour maple syrup all over the truth though just to placate grumpy old men though. I'd rather just say it like I see it and those that don't agree, are free to do so. Just don't cry while doing it.

But, the important thing, which no one could know of course, is I am only here to help say nice things about WiF, and enjoy the launch. And then my account is basically past due date. I haven't championed the Nintendo DS for a couple of years now. Well not since the Android tablet made mincemeat out of my needs to have a convenient doodad for light gaming needs on the go. The games are both better, and on a much larger screen which my old eyes appreciate immensely.

And I was planning to put the account out to pasture in a couple of weeks.
I am not sure I will sign up a new account. I was surprised by the arrival of computer WiF (to be honest, I sure didn't see it coming). I should already be gone. I don't really NEED to be here that badly.

I rarely leave my Facebook page these days.

Remember boys, you don't have to be miserable all day long :)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Civ V Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI