So you want more sound effects...

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dimitris

So you want more sound effects...

Post by Dimitris »

But _what_ sound effects? For which events?
Marder

RE: So you want more sound effects...

Post by Marder »

I'd like sounds when selecting a unit.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Vampire!
Goblin!
Skunk!
Bogey!

Sometimes I have the sim running at 5sec having set my boys to a patrol mission while I get a cup of tea or something - if it would shout "new contact, goblin!" I know I should run back! :)
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

a sound for when planes and helicopters are taking off like in harpoon
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Sounds that I found great where the ones in sub command added to the experience.
AKA - Smudge
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Blighty56
Sounds that I found great where the ones in sub command added to the experience.

Not helping.
SSN754planker

Post by SSN754planker »

Sunburn, i think what would be most helpful right now for this would be some audio cues when the UI is being accessed. I would think maybe also cues for incoming missiles or torpedoes also. I am not sure i want a Vampire Vampire Vampire call out. For one, anything other than the Vampire call out we all grew up with (Harpoons) will simply not cut it for most people. And this is not Harpoon 2013.

UI/interface audio cues (clicks and thumps that sort of thing) and alarm sounds for game events such as incoming missiles.
MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754
CV60

Post by CV60 »

I think that sound effects have two purposes. For this game, the order of priority they should be:

1) Give information useful to the player/decision maker. IMHO, in a game like this, with a lot of events happening, these sound cues are very important.
2) Add atmosphere to the game

For the "Giving Information: category, I would suggest the sound effects be tied to the following events. The actual sound events to be used IMHO should be radio calls, as this is what the commander would be receiving (except for damage, which could be explosions, or similar effects). I also believe that this would add atmosphere, because this is what the commander/watch officer would be hearing.

Incoming Missiles
Attacks made/Units engaged
Units Damaged
Units Lost/Destroyed
Contact made
Contact Lost
EMCON changes
Aircraft RTB
Aircraft Landing
Aircraft Take off
Logistic operations completed (reloading/refueling aircraft, UNREPS)
Units WINCHESTER/BINGO
Communications lost (Can be delayed until the time the game implements comms/NTDS networks)
Major EW events (Major Surveillance Radars detected/lost, Fire Control Radars activated/lost)

For atmosphere, I just play a background of CIC chatter that someone posted a couple of months ago
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
Iwbtone

Post by Iwbtone »

I wanna call "SeaHag"[:D]
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Please please please don't make sounds over the top--seems folks want a lot of sounds that could get distracting/old over time. Personally, I like the sounds as they're currently implemented and wouldn't want much mroe

Agree with CV60 regarding the two functions of sound effects. Keeping these functions separate in the game would allow me turn off any "atmospheric" sounds that are annoying while keeping "information" sounds that I find very helpful.

Of the possible new sound suggestions, I could see as useful:
*a/c take off
*EMCON condition change
*audio feedback from U/I interaction (sometimes it's hard to tell when a selection actually "takes")
*different sound volume levels depending on whether or not event is on or off screen
coolts

Post by coolts »

Whatever you do,make it optional ;) One mans atmospheric sounds are anothers headache.

For me, seahags voice-over reading contact reports adds a lot of immersion. It misses loads though and seems to read old reports sometimes.

Rather then whooshes and clicks or canned repeating radio chatter, I'd rather have speech. Its more functional and fits the game IMO.
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
GBOATZ

Post by GBOATZ »

Regarding sounds, how about some of those that were on the original Command Trailer that introduced a particular scene, gave you an explanation for why combat was necessary and the like? It was one of the things that attracted me to the game originally and I was a bit disappointed when the actual game had very few sounds.

However, failing that, I would like to see the following sounds available for:

1. Confirmation when you give or execute a command
2. Indication when aircraft take off
3. Bingo fuel/Refueling indications so that so many of my planes don't go crashing out of the sky when they run out of fuel unexpectedly or I can have some advance warning of directing them to a tanker
4. And most of all, some kind of "Taa Dah" when the scenario is successfully completed so that my fragile ego can be stroked (sort of like playing the national anthems in Harpoon) knowing that I have saved King and country and am now free to move on to bigger and better things! [:D]
coolts

Post by coolts »

How about some of those that were on the original Command Trailer

That trailer was awesome. Let that guy loose on the game for a week! In fact, just use the sounds and GFX from that trailer. You've already paid for them. No reinventing of wheels necessary!

And make the start screen globe rotate like the video. There is an unwritten rule somewhere that all globes in video games have to rotate*,**.

*unlike real planetary globes, whose rotational rules are well documented [:D]

** and have live Teletype style text appearing with background radio commms chatter.
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

I'd prefer to have no sounds except a simple audio cue when a new item is added to the log. (or different cues for different types of event.)

Then I can watch the tv while I play in 1:1 time and wait for a contact. Casual mode. :)
GBS

Post by GBS »

Just don't overdo it. I liked SeaHag at first but it has really become a distraction trying to read the messages with a voice that I can barely understand. Just a signal like a single word ie. Skunk, Bogie, Goblin, Vampire that will make us look at the message list for the detail. I play now with no sound but the messages roll by so fast at times I miss some things. This is where an audible signal would help. Just my 2 cents.
I also like the sound of a plane taking off which tells me a mission has begun.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
El Savior

Post by El Savior »

My list for sounds:

Sound/radio for aircraft group forming ready!
Simply click, click sound when opening/clicking someting
Aircraft take-off/landing
Incoming missile/torpedo (not sure do I want vampire, vampire everytime... get's soon very annoying in larger scenarios)
Radio chatter / background battle sounds
Ship sunk - "Ship down! Mayday, mayday!"
Bingo fuel
"Mission completed, heading back to base" radio
Mission end fanfare if good points or funeral music for bad points

It's important that sounds don't get annoying. If I get "vampire, vampire!" scream EVERYTIME I see incoming missile I cant play with sounds on. Better is to simple warning beep/sound for new contacts, vampires, etc. This way sounds get useful. When I hear takeoff-sound, I know when aircraf has taken off. When I hear beep-beep sound I know I have spotted new contact. When I hear "BINGO, heading home" I know someone had bingo fuel
Different explosions depending what is exploding

Random radio chatter and atmospheric sound is also important.

If possible if would be great if I can modify sounds effects which are used. In larger scenarios I could disble missile/torpedo warnings and in smaller it could be enabled.
El Savior
blueduck

Post by blueduck »

When I voted for this I wasn't thinking so much of sound effects , but maybe a warning sound when an event such as incoming missiles, torpedos or bogeys was about to occur. Since many of us probably don't set and stare at the screen for the whole scenario, but only react when bad things are about to happen.
I usually go look when I hear missile launch sounds from the computer, only to see my planes in a big dogfight or ships sinking. The message options already have a check box to pause the game for events, maybe you could tag on another box to sound a siren or something.

Steve
Russian Heel

Post by Russian Heel »

Random radio chatter actually kills the atmosphere for me because my brain is programmed to listen to it and let it help paint the situation for me while i am doing other tasks. Ability to mute it, while keeping on other sounds would be important for me.
PaulWRoberts

Post by PaulWRoberts »

Oops--redundant post.
smudge56

Post by smudge56 »

Oh thanks I liked it all[;)]

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
ORIGINAL: Blighty56

Not helping.
AKA - Smudge

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”