Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Google maps and bitmap underlays

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Google maps and bitmap underlays Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Google maps and bitmap underlays - 11/19/2013 9:17:15 PM   
skarp

hi

Are google maps suitable for a bitmap underlay? Right now I'd like to create a map that could join einhoven.cop with maas rijn so I need maps of the Uden Grave area in between. I'm creating a large composite map via google maps/printscreen and collaging them together to convert to bitmap. Before I go too far if anyone reading would like to take a look and let me know if they think it may be suitable and what difficulties I may encounter using it I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
skarp

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Google maps and bitmap underlays - 11/20/2013 7:17:54 AM   
zwobot

Google maps are lacking contour lines of any kind, I'm not sure if this will be a problem in this map as the terrain seems to be mostly featureless elevation wise.

For areas with more prominent elevation changes, OpenStreetMap has layers which display contour lines which can be very useful.

(in reply to skarp)
Post #: 2
RE: Google maps and bitmap underlays - 11/20/2013 8:58:29 AM   
tukker

The landscape has changed a lot since 1944, so I don't think Google Maps is that useful.

For maps covering the southern Netherlands in CO, I've used 1:25.000 maps from 1943/1944.

You can download them from Library of Congress, .&linkText=Back+to+bibliographic+information]here

Pieter

(in reply to zwobot)
Post #: 3
RE: Google maps and bitmap underlays - 11/20/2013 1:09:40 PM   
skarp

hi zwobot and tukker thanks for the responses. I hadn't even considered contour lines!

Also thanks for the link to the maps - I spent an hour or three searching for vintage maps of that detail but drew a complete blank. I could see on the google maps that I was going to have to work out which roads were post war etc.

fantastic.

(in reply to tukker)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Google maps and bitmap underlays Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI