Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Convoys setup

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> US Convoys setup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Convoys setup - 11/18/2013 6:42:21 PM   
jusi

Hello,

US is supposed to put 4 convoy points in each W Coast, Mendicino, Hawaiian and Central Pacific to fulfill the US-Japan trade agreement.

However I got 2 issues here when setup the global war:
- It seems not possible to put any convoys in Central Pacific (no issue with the 3 other areas)
- Even if it would be possible, US has only 4 convoys for a total with a capacity of 5, 3, 3 and 1. So I don't see any way to transport more than 1 ressource to Japan.

Is there any way for solving these issues?
Post #: 1
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/18/2013 6:45:08 PM   
Centuur

You have to use the 15 CP's in Honolulu to put them into the Central Pacific. You are probably trying to use the West Coast CP's for this, but they haven't got the necessary range for this...
And you need 5CP (not 4CP) in each sea area...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 11/18/2013 7:45:42 PM >

Peter

(in reply to jusi)
Post #: 2
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/18/2013 7:07:39 PM   
jusi

That's it! Don't see the Honolulu's CP. Thanks for the tip.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 3
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/18/2013 7:27:27 PM   
Rekm41

And I believe it is 5 CP's in each area.

Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!

(in reply to jusi)
Post #: 4
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/27/2013 12:22:08 PM   
Extraneous

Route 1: Japan and Venezuela (Standard). ~ peskpesk Post# 155
Route 2: Philippines. ~ peskpesk Post# 156

My variation on Route 2. ~ Extraneous Post# 181

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to Rekm41)
Post #: 5
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/27/2013 8:16:53 PM   
dhucul2011

This thread was great. Can we get someone to post a global screenshot of what the CW should do to maximize initial convoy routes?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 6
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/28/2013 12:19:37 AM   
Courtenay

Here goes. This is not quite optimal: There should be one more convoy in the South China Sea; this would allow the French to send the Hanoi build point to France, gaining the French a build point at the expense of a CW saved oil. In the game I had an extra convoy in the East Indian Ocean, but the computer insisted on routing the NEI oil to Bombay via the South China Sea, preventing the Hanoi point from getting to France. Instead an Indian one did, but because of rounding, this cost the Allies a build point. This screen shot is from after I had returned the extra East Indian Ocean convoy to port.

All the convoys in the Faroes gap could be in the Bay of Biscay; however, at some point the Allies have to evacuate the Bay of Biscay, so I find it best to start a fair number of convoys in the Faroes Gap at the start of the game. If the Allies can't defend their convoys before France falls, they certainly can't do so after. This diagram is good for convoy routing. It is wrong for convoy defense, because I made a mistake while playing it.

There are extra convoy points at sea in many of the Atlantic Sea areas and along the African coast; the set up has some redundancy against losses, and it planned for an early German attack on Belgium, giving the Allies the Belgian Congo resource, which did not happen in this game. It is best to set up that convoy chain in advance, because you might not have naval moves after the fact.

Note that to get the traded oil to be saved, one has to you override, not default.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Courtenay -- 11/28/2013 1:24:49 AM >

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to dhucul2011)
Post #: 7
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/28/2013 12:40:19 AM   
Courtenay

Figuring out where convoys should go is a complex problem at which humans are far better at than computers. Actually counting how many convoys go through a sea area, on the other hand, is something that computer are much better at than humans. (Or at any rate, this human.) Thus I have a computer do the counting for my Convoys.

This spreadsheet has variable convoy lengths depending on whether convoys from the south are going to France (can stop in Cape St Vincent and go through Spain, avoiding the Bay of Biscay, or avoiding going to England but avoiding the Bay of Biscay to go through the North Atlantic and the Faroes gap. (After France falls, the Bay of Biscay is not survivable for the British convoys.)

I know how to upload a picture of the spreadsheet, but don't know how to upload the .xls file. If people want it,
I can send it to them. Be aware that this is not anything like production quality code; it just has the advantage that I was able to write it very quickly, and that it works. It is not designed for easy maintenance; changes will be more prone to bugs than they should be.

Attachment (1)

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 8
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/28/2013 2:45:53 AM   
brian brian

On the first few turns I generally save the oil from the NEI in Singapore for the cost of one convoy point.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 9
RE: US Convoys setup - 11/28/2013 4:42:16 AM   
paulderynck

Singapore can get partisans. North Borneo - priceless!

Paul

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> US Convoys setup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI