Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Questions. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions. - 11/17/2013 10:18:04 PM   
stormbringer3

Here's the first of many questions I'll have and I'll keep adding them to this thread.
When you set up a random game is there any way to pick the faction you want to play?
If there are any suggestions about having enough RAW I'd welcome any ideas. So far, I'm running consistant negative numbers.
Thanks for any help.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 11/18/2013 4:21:05 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 12:59:11 PM   
Webizen

Re regimes: Only if you go into the editor. Not too hard but can be a little tedious.

Re Raw: sounds like you are over building stuff that requires raw. Upgrade your raw hexes. Have to carefully manage your production, especially early in the game.

Tac2i

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 4:56:42 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks for your help.
Perhaps it's a factor that I've been using a single city start. The production is mimimal but so are the resources. I went in this direction because I thought it would be good to learn the game without a lot of units etc. on the map. The one time I did a normal start, the RAW was not nearly as negative as in my single city starts. What is the best setup to learn the game?
Thanks for any opinions.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 6:18:13 PM   
Jeffrey H.

As for raw, you'll need to capture more mines or use your engineers to upgrade the ones you have or produce raw resources in your cities. Or any combination of all 3.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 4
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 8:33:21 PM   
stormbringer3

I've some HQ and Officer questions,
Is there an effect on a unit in this game depending on how far it is from its' HQ as in Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue? Also, if distance is is in effect, is there a way to show a HQs' command range?
I found a reference to a List of all Officers in a thread. I can't find a way to show that.
Thanks for any help.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 8:53:59 PM   
Webizen

Max command range from an HQ is 7 hexes. No way to show this range on the map. See this post: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3411141

To see all your officers/HQs/units go to the statistics screen (F3) and click on OOB.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/18/2013 10:06:34 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 6
RE: Questions. - 11/18/2013 9:22:17 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks for the quick answers. Another question. I there a limit on the number of units that a HQ can support? I would think so but I haven't found that anywhere.
Thanks again.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions. - 11/19/2013 12:21:41 AM   
Webizen

Don't think there are any hard limits but the effective use of your units, supply and the penalties for over stacking would tend to create some soft limits.

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Is there a limit on the number of units that a HQ can support?

Tac2i

Post #: 8
RE: Questions. - 11/19/2013 3:12:55 PM   
stormbringer3

Ia there a way to scroll through units as in DCCB? That way you won't miss moving a unit.
Thanks.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions. - 11/19/2013 10:37:24 PM   
Webizen

Go to the Stats screen [F3], select OOB and by clicking on your HQs you can see the units assigned. If a unit has used up its AP allowance it will be grayed out. If you see a unit that hasn't used up its AP allowance, click on it and press the "Go to unit" button.

quote:

Ia there a way to scroll through units as in DCCB? That way you won't miss moving a unit.
Thanks.

Tac2i

Post #: 10
RE: Questions. - 11/19/2013 10:56:34 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks.
When I click on the "Go to Unit button" the map doesn't center on the unit and I have to hunt for the units' hex. Is there any way to get the map to center on a unit?
Thanks again.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 11/20/2013 3:51:34 PM >

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 11
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 3:04:50 PM   
stormbringer3

Does attaching an air unit to an HQ help the air unit? When I attach an air unit to a HQ I don't see a change in the staff points like I see when I attach a ground unit.
Thanks.

Post #: 12
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 3:38:13 PM   
Webizen

Don't know about the centering but the unit will be highlighted.

quote:

Thanks.
When I click on the "Go to Unit button" the map doesn't center on the unit and I have to hunt for the units' hex. Is there any way to get the map to center on a unit?
Thanks again.

Tac2i

Post #: 13
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 3:40:32 PM   
Webizen

Not attaching means no supply and if you're playing with officers, no commander bonuses.

quote:

Does attaching an air unit to an HQ help the air unit? When I attach an air unit to a HQ I don't see a change in the staff points like I see when I attach a ground unit.
Thanks.

Tac2i

Post #: 14
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 4:13:17 PM   
stormbringer3

Thanks for the info. I'm playing with officers. The unit is highlighted but it doesn't center so I have to hunt on the map to find it. I know that Vic is working on his latest projects, but it would be nice if he added some of the DCCB hotkeys such as <> for unit scrolling and a unit centering feature.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 15
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 4:47:32 PM   
ernieschwitz

Unfortunately, DC:CB is a younger game than this old gal, ATG. You learn, gain experience, and fix the new to something better... I wish all games were retrofixed... I´d still be playing Warlords i think :)

Post #: 16
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 5:47:59 PM   
stormbringer3

You have a valid point, but Vic did retrofit a lot of DCCB improvements in the UI etc, to DCWtP. I don't have any idea though, how hard it is to add hotkeys to a game.
I'm very happy I bought this game, so I'm saying this about the hotkeys in the thought of making an excellent game even better.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 17
RE: Questions. - 11/20/2013 6:04:38 PM   
ernieschwitz

Yeah, I agree.. hotkeys for several things, including centering on a unit would be nice :)

Post #: 18
RE: Questions. - 11/21/2013 6:37:39 PM   
stormbringer3

The Supreme HQ has a DOAS yes/no toggle. I can't find out what anti supply point damage means. The search function here came up with nothing. I'd really appreciate some info about this.
Thanks.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 19
RE: Questions. - 11/21/2013 7:34:18 PM   
Webizen

If memory serves me correctly, DOAS is performed by aircraft against the invisible supply moving over the ocean. My guess is your HQ has bombers in it. Ships can also cause overseas supply/unit losses.

quote:

The Supreme HQ has a DOAS yes/no toggle. I can't find out what anti supply point damage means. The search function here came up with nothing. I'd really appreciate some info about this.
Thanks.

Tac2i

Post #: 20
RE: Questions. - 11/21/2013 7:56:58 PM   
stormbringer3

Thank you. I do have bombers there as I deploy them.
Here's another question. Does the Supreme Commander gain experience etc.? My current game has him close to the frontlines and there are combat units attached but I don't see any change in his stats like the other officers have received.
Thanks for any info.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 21
RE: Questions. - 11/22/2013 12:27:21 PM   
Webizen

Yes, if you are using 2.15i the Supreme Commander does gain experience but not as fast as frontline commanders with troops in ongoing combat operations. After a frontline commander gets promoted you'll have to decide if you want to make that commander your new Supreme Commander. Subordinate commanders do not like being commanded by officers junior to them and you'll suffer penalties having a junior officer in command of more senior officers.

Side note: If you haven't tried Lancer's Enhanced Mod Suite I highly recommend it.

quote:

Does the Supreme Commander gain experience etc.? My current game has him close to the frontlines and there are combat units attached but I don't see any change in his stats like the other officers have received.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/22/2013 1:30:17 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 22
RE: Questions. - 11/22/2013 3:32:09 PM   
stormbringer3

You recommend the Enhanced Mod Suite. I've only added one mod to a game in my life and that was over ten years ago. If I download this mod to my desktop and open it will it auto install to the game and I'm ready to go?
I started playing a game with water so that opens up naval units. I'm unsure what kind of HQ to use for them, and leader or no leader?
Thanks for any advive.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 23
RE: Questions. - 11/22/2013 4:32:45 PM   
Webizen

Re installing a mod see embedded screenshot. See this link for modifying main screen to provide a button for launching Lancer's mod, though it can be done manually: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3396271.

Any unit can benefit from a leader I believe. With Lancer's Mod there are, randomly chosen, naval and air force leaders.

Direct link to Lancer's mod: Enhanced Mod Suite. <-- right click and choose your browser's save as feature.

quote:

You recommend the Enhanced Mod Suite. I've only added one mod to a game in my life and that was over ten years ago. If I download this mod to my desktop and open it will it auto install to the game and I'm ready to go?

I started playing a game with water so that opens up naval units. I'm unsure what kind of HQ to use for them, and leader or no leader?

Thanks for any advive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/26/2013 1:06:49 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 24
RE: Questions. - 11/25/2013 7:49:30 PM   
stormbringer3

Webizen,
You have been a fountain of information and help to me, thank you so much! Now for my next question. The Enhanced Mod Suite shows v2.5e. I'm currently running v2.15i. Is there any downside to using a v2.15e mod in a v2.15i game?
Thanks for any info.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 25
RE: Questions. - 11/25/2013 10:18:00 PM   
Webizen

Enhanced Mod Suite v2.15e if fully compatible with ATG v2.15i.

quote:

Webizen,
You have been a fountain of information and help to me, thank you so much! Now for my next question. The Enhanced Mod Suite shows v2.5e. I'm currently running v2.15i. Is there any downside to using a v2.15e mod in a v2.15i game?
Thanks for any info.

Tac2i

Post #: 26
RE: Questions. - 11/30/2013 5:05:57 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

quote:

Here's the first of many questions I'll have and I'll keep adding them to this thread.
When you set up a random game is there any way to pick the faction you want to play?

Although each opponent will be assigned a regime, you can choose from among those assigned without using the editor by clicking on the regime. It's the same place where you choose if the regime will be AI, AI+, AI++, or human.

< Message edited by Jonathan Pollard -- 11/30/2013 6:09:00 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Questions. - 12/5/2013 4:34:38 PM   
stormbringer3

Does using a fighter on a ground attack effect its' intercept possibility on the AIs' turn? What's the best readiness setting to use? My fighters are really lackluster in intercepting enemy air attacks.
Thanks.

< Message edited by stormbringer3 -- 12/5/2013 5:37:38 PM >

(in reply to Jonathan Pollard)
Post #: 28
RE: Questions. - 12/6/2013 2:43:59 PM   
GrumpyMel

With Fighters, make sure they have sufficient fuel (oil) to fly on the defensive turn. Make sure they are sufficiently close to the units they are flying CAP for, the further away the less chance to intercept attacks and make sure they have high readiness. Even if thier readiness is above the limit you have set, reduced readiness still reduces thier intercept range so it may put them out of range for flying CAP for the units you want to protect.

Using a fighter for ground attacks won't effect intercept chances unless it's taking hits and losing readiness.

Hope that helps.

Post #: 29
RE: Questions. - 12/6/2013 5:27:24 PM   
Webizen

Also remember that intercept range is 1/2 of normal range which is 5 hexes, not 10. As explained by others, readiness and the availability of oil all can play into intercept chances not to mention that Vic programmed in a random factor that interception by a particular air unit will not occur.

quote:

Does using a fighter on a ground attack effect its' intercept possibility on the AIs' turn? What's the best readiness setting to use? My fighters are really lackluster in intercepting enemy air attacks.
Thanks.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 12/6/2013 6:32:02 PM >

Tac2i

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Questions. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI