Victory Conditions

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Flaviusx

Victory Conditions

Post by Flaviusx »

Loving this game so far and am deep into my second playthrough (the first being a rapidly abandoned expirement) and approaching the end of the game. However, I am not sure what the requirements for all the victory conditions are. Particularly need to know what these are for an economic victory; I'm playing the Solar Dynasty on a huge world and have 24 cities after knocking out Lilly Vermillion, but don't relish the prospect of taking out all the factions. (I could probably do this...but it would be very tedious.)

Or even a science victory, I'm well into the transcendent era.

The game is a nice combination of Civ5 and and SMAC, and is completely intuitive for anybody familiar with these titles, but for small things like this, I do miss having a manual.

It's a little less deep insofar as it lacks the very detailed civic and social policy options of SMAC (mostly you pick your faction and that's the end of it, despite a few techs that give you bonuses of various sorts, your government type is fixed.)

Also, once you knock out all the hives the planet doesn't seem to produce any more native threats, unlike SMAC where the game cranked up the effects of native life forms and fungus growth over time. In my present game the hives are long gone and the ecosystem has ceased to be a threat. I think SMAC got this better and presented a more tense endgame. Maybe this could be tweaked in patch later on.

Wish the game had world wonder equivalents, too. That's another thing you ought to consider patching in down the line. The in game economics feel a bit simplistic without them. Major projects would diversify the build options and make the faction competition more interesting.
WitE Alpha Tester
Flaviusx

RE: Victory Conditions

Post by Flaviusx »

Well, I won a scientific victory on turn 355, lol. Not sure what triggered that.
WitE Alpha Tester
budd

Post by budd »

how deep do you find the game? how's the end game, thats where these games lag and get tedious. Been playing Civ since #2 and have never finished a game, the end just gets tedious, i really enjoy the first 2/3 of games like this though.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Game plays remarkably smoothly, no lag even in the late game. Especially compared to Civ5, which really does bog down. This game is very well optimized.

It's not as deep as it could be, but I could easily see improvements coming down the line in either patches or DLC. It's a good game that could be outstanding given some TLC.
WitE Alpha Tester
Emx77

Post by Emx77 »

Victory Conditions:

- Economic Victory: Accumulate enough credit to purchase 75% of the other independent factions' economies.
- Military Victory: Control of 75% Pandora's population.
- Research victory: Research 75% of all technologies to win a scientific victory.

You can see this info when you start new game (New game -> Advanced options). You can disable all or some of above victory conditions.

Hope this helps.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Interesting
ORIGINAL: Emir Agic

Victory Conditions:

- Economic Victory: Accumulate enough credit to purchase 75% of the other independent factions' economies.
- Research victory: Research 75% of all technologies to win a scientific victory.

You can see this info when you start new game (New game -> Advanced options). You can disable all or some of above victory conditions.

Hope this helps.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

ORIGINAL: Emir Agic

Victory Conditions:

Hope this helps.

I was wondering about these too. Research victory seems a bit bland (and sudden). There should be some "Uber" tech. which u have to research and enough time (and warnings) for your enemies to overrun you before you do finish it. It's also the only one that does not scale to your enemies at all. I think I'm going to start a new game from start and disable research victory.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Yeah, thanks for the heads up and I too think the research victory is a bit too easy and may also disable it.
WitE Alpha Tester
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

There is a warning of sorts for the research victory. When a faction reaches 75% progress towards the goal, there is a message about the faction achieving lots of scientific breakthroughs.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I saw those warnings in my game, but multiple factions were getting them, including my own. In the end, my overpowered economy carried me to the top since it was 3x as large as the nearest competitor at the time. Indeed, nearly as large as all the other factions combined.

I didn't even get a chance to try out all the nifty end game units. (Which become absurdly powerful. Goliaths clocking in at over 300, aircraft over 100, even the grunts had strengths over 70.)

The end game needs some work imo, SMAC had more things going on to keep the race interesting, including a far more active ecology and the race to transcendence. Pandora is kind of a diamond in the rough, with some polish it could become a really outstanding game. I hope the developers support the game and give it a chance to reach its potential.
WitE Alpha Tester
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

Each faction will get one of those messages when they reach 75% progress, so whoever got the message first is in the lead. I made the mistake of thinking the progress indicator (displayed as a tooltip over the research tab) only had to get to 75% instead of 100%, but it does have to get to 100%.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games

Return to “Pandora Series”