Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Joe's Bridge - Advice...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Joe's Bridge - Advice... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/16/2013 2:27:50 PM   
Werewolf1326

I am having a great deal of difficulty beating Joe's Bridge scenario as the allies. The best I've done is a stalemate.

Ususally by the end of day two the victory needle is about 2/3 of the way past mid-point but then - invariably - the Germans counterattack and the Irish Brigade is so fatigued from pushing across the bridge that they can't hold and BAM! they get stomped or barely hold on.

I've tried sending the armor battalion up the highway and the inf battalion flanking from the zinc factory and vice versa. Tried sending the whole brigade up the highway. I can always get across the bridge but it takes a while and eats up the brigade.

Then those pesky Bosche sneak a battalion of airborne troops in from the south to attack me from the rear and swarm me from the north with what seems like troops from out of no where.

How does one beat this scenario?

Comments. Suggestions. Even a, what a maroon - anyone should be able to beat Joe's Bridge would be a welcome.

< Message edited by Werewolf1326 -- 11/16/2013 3:29:28 PM >

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
Post #: 1
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/16/2013 6:06:39 PM   
phoenix

Well, I posted this some time ago - hope it's helpful.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3053737&mpage=1&key=bridge�

(in reply to Werewolf1326)
Post #: 2
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/16/2013 6:19:05 PM   
Alchenar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326
I've tried sending the armor battalion up the highway and the inf battalion flanking from the zinc factory

This is the correct strategy. Start the scenario with a long bombardment of the infantry company on your side of the town so they start running the moment your infantry show up, use airstrikes to disrupt the enemy on the far bank. You don't actually want to follow through the attack with your armour though, they're just there to attract mortar fire and provide some fire support.

Use the infantry battalion to push over the bridge and secure the far side during the night - while that's happening have the Armour battalion rest on your side of the bank and be ready to start pushing through to the final objective at daybreak on day 2 (what'll actually happen is they'll collide head-first with the German counter-attack and spend most of the day smashing that up.

Crucially, you use this day to mostly rest the infantry battalion. Strip a couple of companies to defend the bridge objectives and on day 3 push through/link up with the armour to secure the final objective.

Use the Recon company to make sure the paratroopers don't get anything done (they're paratroopers, what are they going to do against armoured cars?). If you are feeling fancy, detaching a tank company or two to make their way around the forest behind the final objective cuts off the German supplies in a big obvious way and tends to throw them into a bit of a mess.

Post #: 3
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/16/2013 8:18:14 PM   
Werewolf1326

Thanks gentlemen. I'll give those suggestions a try.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 4
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/22/2013 3:08:54 PM   
altipueri

Best I can get is a draw, even trying Phoenix's suggestions.

German AI did an impressive night time counter attack.

Post #: 5
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/22/2013 3:22:35 PM   
altipueri

Ok. A couple of more goes and I got a marginal win.

It would be good if you could play on - just one more day.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 6
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/22/2013 4:39:42 PM   
Alchenar

What's going wrong? Are you getting bogged down at the bridge? Are you getting to the village but losing control of the bridge objective due to German stragglers?

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 7
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/22/2013 10:22:05 PM   
phoenix

Here you go, Alti - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3476534&mpage=1&key=�

1 day added. unzip it into your scenarios folder....

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 8
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/23/2013 3:17:15 PM   
altipueri

Thanks, will report back, but need 3.5.264 or something.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 9
RE: Joe's Bridge - Advice... - 11/23/2013 3:22:17 PM   
phoenix

It's the current beta. Get it from the member's page.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Joe's Bridge - Advice... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI