Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/1/2013 4:19:23 PM   
76mm

paulderynck posted some helpful info in the tech support forum about how to avoid problems when using two monitors, so I wanted to repost it in this thread about using two monitors (text below verbatim from paulderynck's post:
But if you start using them here are two things you should do to avoid potential problems that can give you a sense the game has crashed (when it hasn't) because the form you need to interact with is off-screen.

1. Your left hand monitor should have the 0,0 coordinate (i.e. it should be the "primary") - avoid negative number coordinates.

2. Keep the Main Form above the Detailed Map. People often try to totally max out the Detailed Map to a full monitor screen but in this case you are better to give up some space at the top, even if you have to resize the Detailed Map slightly so there's no overlap between it and the Main Form. I recommend no overlap because which one stays on top is usually the one you don't want to stay on top.

As paulderynck says, if you ignore these tips what happens is that forms open in portions of the screen which are not visible on either monitor, and you think that the game has frozen, but it has not, it is just waiting for input on an invisible form.

I guess this means to put your second monitor on the right, and keep the main form on the same monitor with the map.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/1/2013 5:20:53 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/1/2013 10:23:40 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Is it best to get the 2nd monitor the same size as your main? At work they are all the same size. I didn't know if it matters or not.

No they can be different sizes because most likely you'll not try to get the Detailed Map to span across more than one monitor - that's the only way you'll have trouble with different sizes and resolutions.

FREX I have the Detailed Map and Main Form on the larger screen and the Global Map, Set-up trays, SL, MV and some other forms on or opening on the smaller screen.

Paul

(in reply to Dorb)
Post #: 32
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/2/2013 2:24:39 AM   
76mm

after playing a bit more last night with the app that I described and paulderynck's tips, I have to say that I continued to have the "hidden form" problem on a pretty regular basis. Often I could see the bottom corner of the missing form but could not drag it onto either monitor. The funny thing is that even after I would turn off the app, forcing all of the forms back onto the main screen, the missing screens would not appear, and I would have to restart the game.

Not sure if this problem is limited to this app or it also happens alot with a real second monitor?

Also paulderynck, do you know why the main form should be on the same monitor as the map? And does it really have to be above it, rather than below it, for instance?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/2/2013 3:26:28 AM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 33
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/2/2013 7:55:57 AM   
paulderynck

It all relates to where all the other forms appear because they reference the location of the Main Form. You may find a post from Shannon somewhere here in the forums saying the same thing.

So if the Main Form is at the bottom, other forms may try to open below it, which in my case would make me try to look underneath my keyboard.

As for being on the same monitor, it's a related issue, but I'm unsure of the exact details. I did a lot of experimenting and can only relate what worked best for me.

Paul

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 34
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/2/2013 8:19:03 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck
So if the Main Form is at the bottom, other forms may try to open below it, which in my case would make me try to look underneath my keyboard.

OK, thanks, I will try it again, but this time at the top!

Post #: 35
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/3/2013 9:12:22 PM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

I already have two monitors, will use this as an excuse to add a third, wide-screen as the primary.

Cheers,

Me too. I'm thinking it is time to get monitor #3. I have the widescreen in the middle, and currently an older 4:3 flat screen to the side. Normally the side monitor has email and such open while I'm playing WitP on the big monitor. With all these forms, I might just want to a third monitor for more info goodness. We'll see though - the books might be fine for a lot of the quick reference stuff.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net and www.skybirdart.com, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Doggie3)
Post #: 36
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/3/2013 9:43:49 PM   
Dabrion

We have played for years with a beamer for the map view. Its nice, and hard to accept anything else once you are accustomed! It is also hard to imagine to work with just one monitor, or two.. when you don't have a pad for surfing.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 37
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/3/2013 9:49:22 PM   
warspite1

Three monitors! Wow - you could like a trader or something Buy, Buy - ah Porkbellies!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 38
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/3/2013 10:28:04 PM   
Dabrion

No trader and not three monitors ;) Just two monitors, more is hard to keep track of (for me). Banished all browsing and coms onto my pad, which runs a browser, mail client, skype, irc and currently needed pdfs. Can take it everywhere, kitchen to have a coffee, toilet.. you get the picture.. So Matrix Forum in Flames is happening on my pad, which usually resides next to the keyboard. Leads to a almost popup free screen estate, which is rather important for me.

On topic: In the lab we have one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2O5lvUDXA). The current generation is probably too expensive for home use, and has bad colours. But in a couple of year from now, they are probably fit for our gaming room instead of the beamer. You would not have you sit in front of a desktop/laptop to operate things. Could be the virtual variant of a wall-mounted physical wif-game with magnets and stuff. Just a dream though ;)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/4/2013 3:22:30 AM   
76mm

I wanted to report that after some initial success with the iPad app (Air Display), for the last two days I have not been able to get it to connect to my computer at all, which is not good.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion
We have played for years with a beamer for the map view.

OK, I'll bite...what's a beamer? A projector?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/4/2013 4:23:29 AM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 40
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/4/2013 4:58:59 AM   
paulderynck

I thought BMW... but no...

Paul

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 41
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/4/2013 7:05:15 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

On topic: In the lab we have one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t2O5lvUDXA). The current generation is probably too expensive for home use, and has bad colours. But in a couple of year from now, they are probably fit for our gaming room instead of the beamer. You would not have you sit in front of a desktop/laptop to operate things. Could be the virtual variant of a wall-mounted physical wif-game with magnets and stuff. Just a dream though ;)

it is called a digiboard at most of our primary and secondary schools nowadays. Hampered by teething problems like teachers who do not know how to operate them.

Microsoft is experimenting with a table version, although I would think it will never be big enough for WiF played by more than one at the same table.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 42
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 12/4/2013 1:59:04 PM   
Dabrion

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I wanted to report that after some initial success with the iPad app (Air Display), for the last two days I have not been able to get it to connect to my computer at all, which is not good.

quote:

We have played for years with a beamer for the map view.

OK, I'll bite...what's a beamer? A projector?

Yes. Just found this: http://painfulenglish.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/your-office-is-too-small-for-a-bmw/

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 43
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/15/2014 7:46:22 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Is it best to get the 2nd monitor the same size as your main? At work they are all the same size. I didn't know if it matters or not.

No they can be different sizes because most likely you'll not try to get the Detailed Map to span across more than one monitor - that's the only way you'll have trouble with different sizes and resolutions.

FREX I have the Detailed Map and Main Form on the larger screen and the Global Map, Set-up trays, SL, MV and some other forms on or opening on the smaller screen.

Pushing up an old thread...

Okay, the monitor size can be different - but do both need to run the same screen resolution?

I ask because I have this game installed on a 17" widescreen laptop (1920x1080) but so far couldn't find a 17" monitor supporting 1920x1080, the smallest one I've found yet is 21,5".

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Post #: 44
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/15/2014 7:52:25 PM   
Orm

I run MWIF on a laptop with a extra, primary, monitor. My resolution is 1366x768 and 1680x1050. For me this works splendid.

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 45
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/15/2014 8:07:03 PM   
Hotschi

If I understand right then, neither the resolution nor the size needs to be the same? Very good to know, thanks a lot, Orm!

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 46
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/15/2014 8:12:09 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

If I understand right then, neither the resolution nor the size needs to be the same? Very good to know, thanks a lot, Orm!

Indeed. I have both different size and resolution. My laptop monitor is to small to run MWIF effectively but it is perfect as a support monitor.

Intend attacking at dawn high water.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 47
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/16/2014 5:18:38 AM   
Empire101

Bought a second monitor 5 weeks ago ( curse you WiF!!) and it has made a hell of a difference.

To be honest, I would'nt want to use WiF without a second monitor now.

All that monitor real estate......marvellous!!

Postscript:-

Mrs. E:- What do you mean you want a second monitor?? ( arches eyebrow a la Roger Moore )....you have just bought that VERY expensive game!!

Mr. E:- Ahem...well dear I actually need it for work, what with emails.....tachographs....ahem...amongst other things...( starts looking at the clock )....Good Lord darling, its nearly 6pm...you'll miss your 'Escape to the Country!'

( Mrs E exuents stage right, and another disaster is narrowly avoided by Mr. E )

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 48
RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? - 2/16/2014 9:40:34 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:11:24 AM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI