So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dorb

So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor?

Post by Dorb »

Just curious, anyone considering adding a 2nd computer monitor due to this game? I must admit, I always thought 2 screens was stupid and not really needed until they gave us a 2nd one at work. Now I'm hooked. I have been wanting a 2nd for home, and this game may give me an excuse.[:)] (Usually I just have my iPad sitting on a stand to use when needed)
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
warspite1

RE: So anyone going to add a 2nd computer monitor?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Just curious, anyone considering adding a 2nd computer monitor due to this game? I must admit, I always thought 2 screens was stupid and not really needed until they gave us a 2nd one at work. Now I'm hooked. I have been wanting a 2nd for home, and this game may give me an excuse.[:)] (Usually I just have my iPad sitting on a stand to use when needed)
warspite1

I got a second one when I had to buy a new computer a couple of years ago. I thought it was a bit of an extravagance - but once you've used two, you realise they are actually really useful. For WIF they are more than useful - I would say they are essential.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

My son uses my monitor actually. I slaved the desktop to the TV so the TV is the monitor for that now. The son likes multi tasking and uses a pair of 23 wide screens thanks to my giving him mine to add to his.

I likely will be playing this on laptop, with an HDMI capable linked to the TV for essentially the dual monitor aspect. Not sure if I read manuals on laptop though or use the TV. All comes down to the resolution.

I might need to use the desktop for one and make the resolution fit the task. Nothing saying I can't be employing two computers for one function I suppose. Might even sit the 10 inch tablet beside me for custom tasks like oft used pages.

It's a seriously involved process playing a game normally a massive view and expecting it can be totally acceptable to perform on just a single screen if it's not necessary eh.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've seen an app that allows you to use your iPad as a second computer monitor; haven't tried it yet but it could be a good solution for this game.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

You might be thinking of Splashtop. It's part of the normal install on Asus Android using tablets at least.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I use my laptop to hold the info screens and my 52" TV for the map. [X(]

It works great!
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

I should not have read this thread, it endangers my bank account [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

I have two computers sitting side by side, so the game is on my main machine and manuals and anything else I want is on the second machine monitor. I also use the second machine for Skype, TeamSpeak or whatever other voice program there is.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

MWIF is nicely suited for two monitors, because there are so many MWIF windows. I like keeping the map views, screen layout, and global map windows on my second monitor.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I got a second one when I had to buy a new computer a couple of years ago. I thought it was a bit of an extravagance - but once you've used two, you realise they are actually really useful. For WIF they are more than useful - I would say they are essential.

I have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. There isn't any room for a second monitor. This isn't the only post where it appears that there is a need for a second monitor or a larger monitor to enjoy this game without having a problem coping with so many windows being open. I'm seriously thinking of a purchase and I think that you get a lot for your $. However, I want to enjoy this game, not struggle with the UI because there are too many screens to cope with without a lot of constant work.
Thanks for any opinions.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

It's not possible for me to play this game on one monitor, regardless of how big. I need the map unobstructed and the info windows at the ready.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

It works great!

Great idea! My son and wife hate it.

I have decided I'll have to try it with my 30" and the TV at the same time. I must be daft for missing the obvious. I can keep the rules and junk on the TV, and use all of my screen real-estate for the map! Guess who's missing Church this morning?

Oh Joy!
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. There isn't any room for a second monitor. This isn't the only post where it appears that there is a need for a second monitor or a larger monitor to enjoy this game without having a problem coping with so many windows being open. I'm seriously thinking of a purchase and I think that you get a lot for your $. However, I want to enjoy this game, not struggle with the UI because there are too many screens to cope with without a lot of constant work.
Thanks for any opinions.
You won't need to have as many forms visible once you learn the basics. New players often want to keep the terrain effects chart, status indicators help form, etc. visible at all times.

Once the printed manual arrive, players will be able to keep them open to the appendices where most of the help information is shown, instead of needing to use screen real estate for that purpose. This is one of the reasons that we believe the printed manuals are necessary.

Attachments
ReferencePages.jpg
ReferencePages.jpg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 423 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

Already done so. IF nothing else, MWIF inspired me to clean up my computer area and set up the second monitor that has been gathering dust. Thus, I have gained favor with the wife of 31 years for clearing her footpath and removing some eyesores. This might be needed in the future.
aaronden

Post by aaronden »

Funny - I stole my wife's for the weekend to provide a 2nd for the long weekend of learning MWiF(we're past 31 years also). Love it and already have a 2nd LED for me on the way, which I really needed for work anyway (lots of telecommuting).

It's awesome arranging the forms on one side and having the beautiful map on the other. Thanks again Steve and Matrix!
Eambar

Post by Eambar »

I already have two monitors, will use this as an excuse to add a third, wide-screen as the primary.

Cheers,
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

I have 2 monitors.
I must admit that's a must for this game...

Yves
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Glad Christmas is coming, may be able to talk ol Santa into one. [;)]
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Actually I think anyone moving to 2 Monitors will find they get a lot out of them no matter what they are playing.
My main is the Wargame on the left monitor and the manual/google on the other, both widescreen.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

It works great!

Yes sir!
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it

Return to “World in Flames”