So who is getting it?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dorb

So who is getting it?

Post by Dorb »

Thought would toss it out, who all is for sure going to purchase this mother of all games if I may ask?

I was on the fence as I already have many PC games sitting around that I had to have, but not enough time to really dig into. This one here may be the grand daddy of them all, but I must say I have to have it and talked it over with my financial adviser(wife)and was able to talk her into turning her key also.(I now cannot bitch about the coming holidays being spent with her side of the family, the price we pay - lol) So with both keys turned I will launch the funds come the 7th no matter what they will be.(including the maps, I have a game room, thinking about using as wallpaper on one wall...just maybe)

Cheers.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
WIF_Killzone

RE: So who is getting it?

Post by WIF_Killzone »

I am for sure, and I thought about the wall paper as well, but I will need to board up the windows and doors, hmmm, might be worth it.
Titan

Post by Titan »

Well I will be getting a copy sent here all the way to New Zealand for sure.
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

ME ME ME ME
Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
aaronden

Post by aaronden »

No brainer...been waiting to dive into this game for many years. Very excited.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Game definitely yes
Maps definitely no ... but my admiration goes out to those with extra rooms that need wallpapering [:)]
/Greyshaft
Redan

Post by Redan »

I think not. At least not at first. Have 2 or 3 games to do before this one...

"You can't stack units in this game. This is Tactics II, hexes haven't been invented yet..."
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I have to settle first in an stable place where I can have the box & manuals delivered. I wish I could get the digital download right now and buy the manuals later...

If I don't own the board WiF, so I guess it doesn't make any sense to get the maps too. Can you buy the counters from ADG without the maps?
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
reltow

Post by reltow »

There are severall counterset in the Online Shop at ADG Website - not quite sure if they cover all Counters you need/want. :-)
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: reltow

There are severall counterset in the Online Shop at ADG Website - not quite sure if they cover all Counters you need/want. :-)
Probably more cost effective to buy the entire game rather than the individual counter sheets. That way you get the printed rules and charts also.
/Greyshaft
icitrom_y

Post by icitrom_y »

I posted a poll asking who will buy the game and/or the maps set on BoardGameGeek.com (BGG) in the General section of the forum for WiF:

"WiF-ers, are you going to buy Matrix-WiF?" (I'm not allowed to post a link. (Because I'm new?))

I think the results are interesting. Thirty-four WiF-ers responded.

Regarding the maps, 55% selected, "Pretty damn cool. Unfortunately, I don't live in a school gym."

Regarding the Matrix-WiF, the responses were spread across the spectrum. Only 38% said they're definitely picking up the game.

Another 35% said they'd be willing to buy the game only when MWiF solidifies. My personal take on it is that, yes, MWiF is a grand huge achievement but that's the nature of this beast. So, having said that, with no AI and perhaps especially that the game cannot be played by more than two players, plus the price point, has a significant number of people balking.

My personal view is that WiF is WiF and is defined by ADG. I'm not especially interested in a new variant, called Matrix-WiF, that branches off from here and will only continue to vary from ADG's WiF. I'm guessing that Factories in Flames just missed the development boat. I'm disappointed that Days of Decision is not there, i.e. that it is not at least a definite on the way element.

America in Flames and Patton in Flames would be nice to have but I'd be OK without them if ADG's WiF itself was completely circumscribed. I seems like a fair number of us are willing to pass on an amazing computer WiF implementation if it's only 95% complete, not withstanding that the 95% is very well done.

I would add that I don't expect the world in one basket nor expect people to work for free. I'd pay separately, for example, for a Days of Decision module. But, I'd like to know that it's definitely on the way. I look at it as this new amazing Cadillac, super in every respect but it only comes with vinyl seats. Some things are just naturally a quantum, such that a lot of people will pay the $100,000 for the Cadillac but it doesn't follow that they'd also pay $95,000 for a 95% version.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

waiting with debit card in hand!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Mayhemizer_slith

Post by Mayhemizer_slith »

YES, no matter the cost.

Do I need other games after this???
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Count me in.
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

Game definitely yes
Maps definitely no ... but my admiration goes out to those with extra rooms that need wallpapering [:)]

Same here.
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

I'm getting it, maps and all.
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
reltow

Post by reltow »

I will buy it. I am reading since the start of this Forum on monthly/bimonthly basis with a break of some years but never created an account - If you are following something that long time you have to buy it.

I am still thinking of buying the map. I played WiF on a regular Basis at the beginning of my studies for several years (about 1996 to 1999). Then I bought a WIF game 7-8 years ago on ebay hoping to play it with some friends again(never happend), so I have the counters but no space (also no space for the game maps but you never know).
PorcelainBus

Post by PorcelainBus »

Long time lurker - says YES to buying the game!
petracelli

Post by petracelli »

My buying is on hold despite being a long time wiffer until know the price and it can be played by email or more than 2 on line. Hoping to put it on my Xmas list though and that multiplayer will be patched by then.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Not only getting it, but I think I'm going to burn my other digital downloads to 3 or more discs each (just to be brutally thorough), put them in a box, and likely forget about them.

I've been looking for a genuine global grand strategy wargame that actually is a real board game, not afraid to be one and not like all the ones pretending to be one and really being something else. I will be glad to play something on hexes, with turns and not afraid to be an actual board game. Not in 3d, and not in real time and not about graphics, but about wargaming.

Never thought I would see the day WiF actually made it to my computer. I don't mind being wrong on that one :)

Sure if I ever find myself filthy rich, I can buy a big home with a custom made room specially designed to house ridiculously large board games.

But not having that home, I'm happy to play it on my computer. I can see myself slaving the laptop to the TV so I can get the combination of readable print on the laptop, and the enjoyment of a great view of the map on the TV. Sitting in my lazyboy, hot chocolate at my side, manuals on the table at my right. Now that's how to play a wargame :)
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.

Return to “World in Flames”