Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/13/2018 6:22:07 PM   
Lokasenna

December 16, 1944

Over near Biak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 451
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/13/2018 6:25:30 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Thanks for posting, Loka. It's fun to see what's going on in your game,

I'm not that far behind you in my game with Erik. We're in late '44, so it's interesting to compare.

Speaking of which, post an image of the Intel Screen with overall points.

From the Japanese player perspective, what our your thoughts about kamikazes? I didn't face them to any real extent in my game with John III, and Erik hasn't used them in my current game.

I'm trying to get back up to speed with him. If this turn had been less eventful over Palembang, I'd have sent one back to him last night. I wanted to think this one over, though... and I'm still thinking.

Every kamikaze used is 1 Allied VP. I don't need to give him any gifts, so I will have to consider them carefully. I haven't used them yet. I can see myself using them how Erik has said he likes to use them, so if you pay attention maybe you'll learn something. He's far more experimental than I am in his plane usage, however.

I don't think Erik has them active in your game yet.

A point of interest: I can't convert any kamikaze units this turn, despite Pontianak having a level 1 airfield and being in Allied hands, within 20 sea-hexes of Saigon. Am I missing something? Will I get the option tomorrow? I'm not chomping at the bit to use them or anything, but I want to start converting units for when I do want to use them since I can only convert 1 per day.

I'll post an intel screen later on; am at work.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 452
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/13/2018 6:36:15 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm at work too. But my excuse is that repeated paperwork justifies excursions into the fantasy-land of AE. If I don't take breaks, my mind will go numb.

Right?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 453
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/13/2018 6:52:28 PM   
Lokasenna

Wait, it's just a fantasy?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 454
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/14/2018 1:33:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

December 16, 1944

Results of yesterday's scrum at Palembang - my units are beat up.

I haven't done any orders yet. I'm considering transferring in a whole ton of fresh units with fresh settings, but the size of the airfield will limit me.

After my experience with you regarding Pbang, I'm of the view that you need to fight for Pbang from Praboem. Avoiding the naval bombardments in the late war just has too much value, plus there's the option to use Praboem as a rest and repair shop for the Pbang squadrons.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 455
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/14/2018 5:57:39 PM   
Lokasenna

By request...

I typically use various Tracker screens for basically everything on this page.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 456
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/14/2018 6:35:16 PM   
Canoerebel

Your game has been much "bloodier" than mine. You have 20k more points than Obvert does in my game. I have 9k less than Obvert does in your game.

It looks like Allied Army losses is the real sore spot in your game.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 457
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/14/2018 7:11:32 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Your game has been much "bloodier" than mine. You have 20k more points than Obvert does in my game. I have 9k less than Obvert does in your game.

It looks like Allied Army losses is the real sore spot in your game.

And yet, it still feels like there's a neverending horde of Allied units. Turns the Eurocentric (typically fantasy writing) trope of "hordes to the east" on its head, doesn't it?

I think the points for sunk ships is pretty accurate but I haven't hit the APA/AKA fleet very much.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 458
RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage - 6/16/2018 4:18:30 AM   
Lokasenna

Out of curiosity, I went through all the Hokkaido/Japan industry in Tracker (everything that gives strategic bombing VPs).

There are 36,383 total industrial centers. That's a potential 72,766 VPs from conventional bombing, and a lot more than that from atomic bombs (the only thing I've ever seen destroy instead of damage industry). But I think I can figure on, eventually, 50K points from strategic bombing.

Thought experiment:

My points @ 82K, minus 10K for bases flipping = 72K denominator, 144K required for AV.

His points @ 56K, plus 50K points from eventual bombing = 116K numerator

144K - 116K = 28K current points differential, minus whatever he gains in base VPs (there's 11.7K sitting there if he takes all of the PI, SRA, and Marianas). So in actual combat, I have about a 10K "cushion" right now.

Of course it can all pan out differently - maybe I lose my fleet, maybe I start losing planes in droves in the air for minimal gain, maybe he retakes Chengtu/Chungking before 1946 (that would be enough to eliminate the cushion altogether). Just a hypothetical check on my situation.

Maybe I can sink some more CVEs.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 459
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: (J) vs. Obvert (A) - Monday Night Montage Page: <<   < prev  12 13 14 15 [16]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI