To Warsprite

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Numdydar

To Warsprite

Post by Numdydar »

You finally made me interested enough to look up the history of the actual ship.

What a mix of history. It is like the ship was jinxed at times lol. It seemed like all she wanted to do was ram other ships. Even at the end, she had to run aground.

So just like humans a mix of outstanding work and some really messed up stuff [:)]
Josh

RE: To Warsprite

Post by Josh »

Messed up, yeah that's Warspite alright. [;)] Beautiful ship though.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

You finally made me interested enough to look up the history of the actual ship.

What a mix of history. It is like the ship was jinxed at times lol. It seemed like all she wanted to do was ram other ships. Even at the end, she had to run aground.

So just like humans a mix of outstanding work and some really messed up stuff [:)]
warspite1

I assume you mean HMS Warspite?

The Grand Old Lady was the most famous battleship in the Royal Navy - and one of the most famous of any navy, anywhere, ever.

She fought everywhere, from the fleet encounter at Jutland in 1916 to the bombardment of Walcheren Island in 1945. In between she saw action off Norway, in the Mediterranean, in the Indian Ocean and in the Channel on D-Day.

Her battle honours were:
Jutland
Narvik
Calabria
Cape Matapan
Crete
Libya
North Africa
Sicily
Salerno
Normandy
Walcheren

Campaigns
Atlantic
English Channel
North Sea
Biscay
Mediterranean
Malta Convoys

She was hit by shells, mined, bombed, and took a glider bomb at Salerno, but the enemy just could not sink her.

The Queen Elizabeth's were beautiful when built, but Warspite's late-thirties reconstruction was what really gave her her defining look - a stunning mix of modern superstructure meets WW1-vintage Hull, giving her a mean and purposeful look.

By messed up stuff I assume you mean the stearing maladies that caused her to sail straight for the German battlefleet at Jutland and the 29 hits she took before the problem was sorted out

That she ran aground rather than go the breakers was fitting - she ended things her way. What a Lady [&o][&o]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Yes. plus the other adventures she had runing into ships, both enemy and friendly [:)] Given that track record, it IS entirely fitting she ended her time by running agound lol. Then trying to include the tugs and salvage vessals in her fate as well.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Yes. plus the other adventures she had runing into ships, both enemy and friendly [:)] Given that track record, it IS entirely fitting she ended her time by running agound lol. Then trying to include the tugs and salvage vessals in her fate as well.
warspite1

You might be surprised just how many warships suffered collisions.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Warspite was a beaut. My personal favorite British capital ship was HMS Hood, although I realize she had many shortcomings. Still like the looks of her though. My least favorite ship in appearance were the Nelson's. Never really found them all that aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also liked Iron Duke. Great name, menacing looking ship.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Warspite was a beaut. My personal favorite British capital ship was HMS Hood, although I realize she had many shortcomings. Still like the looks of her though. My least favorite ship in appearance were the Nelson's. Never really found them all that aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also liked Iron Duke. Great name, menacing looking ship.
warspite1

In terms of looks, yes HMS Hood was the beautiful thoroughbred, with elegant lines - she was your Audrey Hepburn.

HMS Warspite was a real character - large of bosom, child bearing hips, and a cherubic face - she was your Christina Hendricks

Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Christina-..Living-3.jpg
Christina-..Living-3.jpg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 103 times
HMSHoodin1924.jpg
HMSHoodin1924.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 103 times

Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

In between she saw action off Norway, in the Mediterranean, in the Indian Ocean and in the Channel on D-Day.

She may also hold the record for the longest range gunnery hit against an enemy warship in history, at about 26,000 yards against the battleship Giulio Cesare. (The Scharnhorst achieved a hit at approximately the same range during the Norway campaign, but that was against the CV Glorious and so didn't have to worry about return fire.)
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Return to “General Discussion”