Order Of Battle Pacific

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

junk2drive

Order Of Battle Pacific

Post by junk2drive »

New game for Slith/Matrix. Not much news yet.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/516 ... e:.Pacific

Curious about the scale as Corp.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
GaryChildress

RE: Order Of Battle Pacific

Post by GaryChildress »

The name is enticing also, will it feature detailed orders of battle for each side? Or will it be more like Strategic Commander or something?
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

No picture ... no specs ... no forum posts ... no nothing
This was announced way too early.
/Greyshaft
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

Was it officially announced? Someone found the product page that but I don't see an official announcement yet.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: Challerain

Was it officially announced? Someone found the product page that but I don't see an official announcement yet.

and the difference between the two is ...
/Greyshaft
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

You said it was announced too early. It hasn't been announced yet so maybe that is why there are no screenshots, specs, and forum posts.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

It will be probably announced during the Essen fair.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Oh yeah!

Though curious about this statement from the product page, "A deep but intuitive supply system allowing breakthroughs & encirclements."

That sounds more like an east front statement not a pacific island kinda statement. Regardless, multiple huzzahs from me for any new naval game.
No problem Chief!
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

If you follow the link here to the product page and then click tolink to the developer's website, there is a product page link that takes you to Slitherine's page that includes this statement, "Order of Battle: Pacific is the first title in a new series of hexagonal strategy games developed by The Artistocrats (www.the-artistocrats.com), designed to cover military history from ancients to modern warfare. The Artistocrats was founded by members of the team who created Panzer Corps."

Another positive as far as I am concerned.[:)]
No problem Chief!
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well considering the land war in the Pacific was not a major factor in the Allies winning, I do not feel that this is a good idea. Especially if the PC model is followed.

Having ground battles determine the fate of the Pacific war like PC does in the ETO is not anything that would interest me. Now if they did a PC type game with CV's and land based air versus just ground troops, with a few ships added like in the PC Sealion/Crete scenerios, then that may be of more interest. Plus allow ship only combats.

Otherwise I will just stick with WitP AE as that does a pretty awesome job of filling my PTO needs atm [:)]
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

actually it sounds like it will include naval combat also and the air war. i hope it is done with some degree of historical accuracy . keen to see screen shots
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I agree! It sounds really good tho. For iPad got my attention right away. I hope it's not one of these PC games they develop and then realize it's just to much work to convert to tablet form.
ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Sounds interesting, but without any detailed info it's too early to say anything. I'll wait and see.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Sounds interesting, but without any detailed info it's too early to say anything. I'll wait and see.

Any revealed product page etc. will generate interest but when there's nothing to discuss will result in a yawn that discourages further exploration when the screenshots do arrive. There's nothing wrong with selling the sizzle before the steak is available but there's not much point if there's nothing to sniff.
/Greyshaft
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

that is true, and also if the screenshot were say still alpha/pre-alpha that usually means alot forum work just having to reiterate this, like what occurred with SC3 and War in the West. Best to show screenshots when its they are actual ingame
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

The game sounds interesting, but I agree with some of the posters that it feels as if it was revealed too early. Waiting until the developers at least had their website up and running would not have hurt. This way, the announcement is a bit of a dud: people might be interested in the game but will find little information about it and can't see what it would look like, nor can they read anything about the developer.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

The name is enticing also, will it feature detailed orders of battle for each side? Or will it be more like Strategic Commander or something?

By reading the description, it looks like the second.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

The game has been presented to press (and colleague developers) at the Essen Spieltage show this weekend. This one of the reasons we had to get the announcement out now. Previews and other forms of information will be available very soon.
uncc

Post by uncc »

...a few beta screenshots here.
...beta code and the pictures you’ll see below are literally screenshots - pictures taken with a digital camera of the screen as he’s giving me the Grand Tour. Caveat: this is not final art and has placeholder graphics left and right, but screenshots can never do this game justice anyway as the 3D units and environment are gorgeously animated and dynamic.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

the naval battle image does look indeed quite beautiful - i hope its a challenging game to boot!

Return to “General Discussion”