Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First AAR - BFTB - Planning

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> First AAR - BFTB - Planning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/22/2013 2:27:09 AM   
petdocvmd

This will be my first AAR as I prepare to play my second ever BFTB scenario - "We Will Fight and Die Here."

I'm hoping the process of creating this as I go will improve my planning and gameplay. I welcome any and all constructive criticism and positive feedback. I've also noted questions I have regarding strategy, equipment, etc.

Because I have not yet reached my tenth post, I am not allowed to embed a link. Perhaps a more senior member could copy this link in a reply so that folks can just click to see my AAR?

https colon forward slash forward slash
www dot dropbox.com/s/rsd6sxocswucadq/AAR%20-%20We%20Fight%20and%20Die%20Here%20-%20Planning.pdf

Thanks!

Scott
Post #: 1
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/22/2013 2:44:18 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

petdocvmd's Planning AAR

There you go :)

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 2
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/22/2013 3:07:41 AM   
petdocvmd

Thank you - one note - it's httpS, not http

Best,

Scott

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 3
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/22/2013 10:38:15 AM   
dazkaz15

I'm not getting anything come up?
This is the address I'm putting in, and BG's link does not work either?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsd6sxocswucadq/AAR%20-%20We%20Fight%20and%20Die%20Here%20-%20Planning.pdf

Edit: Fixed it now :)

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 10/22/2013 10:44:22 AM >

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 4
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/22/2013 10:46:32 AM   
dazkaz15

Looking forward to the next part now

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 5
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/26/2013 3:13:47 PM   
petdocvmd

Well, I've survived so far into the late evening of Day 2. It hasn't been pretty, but I can see the ghostly resemblance to a plan if I squint hard enough ;-)

Here is the link to the next installment of the AAR. Again, if someone could be so kind to post it as a true link, I'd be most appreciative. Reminder that it is HttpS, not http. Thanks!

h-t-t-p-s colon forward slash forward slash

dub dub dub dot dropbox.com/s/wy3uyzidiiblgim/We%20Fight%20and%20Die%20Here%20Day%201-2.pdf

-Scott

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 6
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/28/2013 6:31:12 PM   
petdocvmd

Here is the actual link:

Days 1-2

I look forward to your comments and advice

Thanks!

-Scott

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 7
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 10/30/2013 9:11:05 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: petdocvmd

That said, can anyone help me understand why only one of the
3 battalions I ordered to attack at 0400 on day 2 did so? I
thought I had rested the others long enough, but they slept in
until after 0800???

It's hard coded that the units will sleep when it gets dark. This was done because people were not (or forgetting to?) resting their troops.
Once the rest period starts they will rest for 8 hours.
To avoid this always tick the no rest box for your orders.
If you do this though you will have to monitor them to ensure they get rest when they need it.
If they are too fatigued they will bunker down and rest anyway. This happens at about 80-87% fatigue.
I personally would like to handle the rest periods myself. Maybe it can be made an option in future releases, where you have a tick box in the options dropdown that has auto rest on by default, but can be turned off by more experienced players, to prevent the click fest of having to tick on rest for all the orders at night.

I'm enjoying your AAR. Wish I had more time to discuss it with you fully, but I have a busy schedule at the moment.

Good luck.
Daz

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 8
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/1/2013 2:35:13 AM   
petdocvmd

Hi Daz,

Appreciate the tip! Yes, I agree it would be nice to globally change rest to manual control. Well, at least I can coordinate things better going forward.

I know what you mean about time! I've only been able to work on this scenario here and there this past week. I feel like I need at least an hour (if not two) available to invest in playing so as to ensure I'm up to speed, and I've just not had many chunks of time recently

Thanks!

Scott

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 9
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/4/2013 12:39:59 AM   
petdocvmd

Okay, here is the report for Day 3:

Day 3

Do or die time tomorrow. This scenario is proving to be very frustrating! I feel that I have put a decent effort into planning and execution, but have nothing to show for it. There may be several reasons for this:

- Too late I learned of how to manually implement resting so I could time early morning attacks.
- Too many directly controlled arty units. I think I should have left most if not all mortar units attached, and stuck to issuing bombard orders to the big guns.
- Being too conservative with arty supply - not bombarding with everything I have, as often as possible.
- Expecting too much of my paratrooper units at the start. I was hoping to quickly grab the Oberweywertz crossroads, but met stiff resistance. In hindsight, I should have fallen back, regrouped, and re-attacked with a greater force.

Well, maybe I can turn it around and eke out a draw or slight victory. I am close to taking the Dom, and might be able to separate the NE allied units from the rest of their army. Stay tuned for Day 4!

Scott

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 10
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/7/2013 11:03:10 PM   
petdocvmd

Kind of feel like I'm talking to myself - but what the heck, it's been helpful to do this and I've learned a lot

Here is the link to Day 4:

Day 4

Scott

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 11
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/8/2013 12:00:01 AM   
Arjuna

Hang in there Scott. I just read your Day 4. Nice!

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 12
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/8/2013 1:26:57 AM   
CapHillrat

I just started following your AAR. Looking forward to reading about day 5!

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 13
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/8/2013 2:07:33 AM   
petdocvmd

Thanks guys! Here is Day 5 - I just finished. Kind of feel like I was robbed a bit! I understand that during the game the "Win/Lose" meter may not be accurate, but didn't realize it might reflect differently than the result after the game ends

I did manage a draw after a slow start. Hopefully the many things I learned along the way will improve my next result

Hope you enjoy the AAR - I know I had fun doing it. Wish I had more time to spend on it so that I could improve the detail.

Day 5

Thanks!

Scott

(in reply to CapHillrat)
Post #: 14
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/8/2013 3:12:56 AM   
CapHillrat

Just read it Scott. Good summary. Recon is key! I am new also to this game and putting out recon forces to open up the map so to speak is critical.

Chris

PS I've never seen the meter be that off.

(in reply to petdocvmd)
Post #: 15
RE: First AAR - BFTB - Planning - 11/8/2013 4:40:35 AM   
Rick

Thanks for posting the AAR - I waited until it was all posted before reading beyond the first report.

I particularly appreciated your after action "lessons learned" you summarized each day with.

Thanks
rick

(in reply to CapHillrat)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> First AAR - BFTB - Planning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI