Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hey

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Hey Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hey - 10/20/2013 11:48:14 PM   
bde4soldier223

do you guys removed your trucks once you dont need them?
Post #: 1
RE: Hey - 10/21/2013 5:46:56 AM   
XLVIII Pz. Korp

Pull them back and hide them. In PBEM circles removing them can be considered "gamey" tactics in that by removing them from the map you are denying your opponent the chance for points if they are killed.

(in reply to bde4soldier223)
Post #: 2
RE: Hey - 10/21/2013 6:25:37 AM   
bde4soldier223

oh ok

(in reply to XLVIII Pz. Korp)
Post #: 3
RE: Hey - 10/21/2013 4:21:36 PM   
wings7

Roberto, yes, you should hide them and in longer scenarios and campaigns, you might need them again to move a valuable unit in a short amount of time...it could help you win the battle!

Patrick

Post #: 4
RE: Hey - 10/21/2013 5:21:49 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: XLVIII Pz. Korp

Pull them back and hide them. In PBEM circles removing them can be considered "gamey" tactics in that by removing them from the map you are denying your opponent the chance for points if they are killed.

That depends on the player of course. Some of the guys definitively consider this - or removing any unit from the map - gamey, while others don't mind what you do as long as you play fairly within the capabilities of the game engine.

In all fairness things such as this should be agreed before the game starts, so if there's been no discussion before hands it should be OK. I'd ask the opponent though even in the middle of the game just to be on the safe side.

Gott Mit Uns! (Breitenfeld 1631)

Campaign Series Legion http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
The Blitz Wargaming Club - call sign Battle Kat http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=8

(in reply to XLVIII Pz. Korp)
Post #: 5
RE: Hey - 10/22/2013 12:51:02 AM   
bde4soldier223

thats true

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 6
RE: Hey - 10/22/2013 11:25:07 AM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: XLVIII Pz. Korp

That depends on the player of course. Some of the guys definitively consider this - or removing any unit from the map - gamey, while others don't mind what you do as long as you play fairly within the capabilities of the game engine.

In all fairness things such as this should be agreed before the game starts, so if there's been no discussion before hands it should be OK. I'd ask the opponent though even in the middle of the game just to be on the safe side.

Some players think that leaving trucks on the map is a gamey tactic.
I personally would never use a truck to cause a "surround" in an assault. Nor would I use trucks to block roads, bridges, or exit hexes (especially with extreme assault turned on).

I've never seen a tactics treatise that says, "move your transports to "x" so that the enemy cannot retreat or drive over a bridge".

I do not find fun in a person who uses trucks in "gamey" ways. My personal ROE has "non combat" (a non combat unit is any that cannot assault or shoot) units given the ability to exit the map. When I do it I drive them to the map edge, out of sight of the enemy, and then remove them on the next turn.
If you were the truck driver isn't that what you would do?

And, I find it both tedious and comical to drive them around to hiding places. Unless they would be needed later in the scenario.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 7
RE: Hey - 10/22/2013 6:45:57 PM   
bde4soldier223

yes it is tedious

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 8
RE: Hey - 10/22/2013 9:03:29 PM   
Warhorse

I always remove them, seems reasonable, not going to leave them somewhere for an easy assault to rack points up! Never use as spotters either, unload, and boogie to the rear!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Post #: 9
RE: Hey - 10/23/2013 12:37:06 AM   
Otto von Blotto

I'm quite happy to remove trucks and any other non firing or assaulting unit from the map, if you don't want to use them later in the game move them back and get rid of them, they just clutter the map and get in the way.

I figure if my opponent was to get so far back into my rear that they could hassle where my trucks and jeeps would be kept I've lost anyway, leaving them on the map is just sloppy they are just transports not fighting units. Anything that can fight in any way should stay unless pre arranged.

As HSL says blocking exits and roads with trucks is a last desperate sad tactic of the already beaten, better to lose with grace than try to game the system.

< Message edited by Otto von Blotto -- 10/23/2013 12:41:38 AM >

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 10
RE: Hey - 10/23/2013 6:50:23 AM   
bde4soldier223

yup

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Hey Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI