Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 5:54:07 AM   
Yaab

Since the off-map bases cannot be invaded by Japs, why do Allies get victory points for them?
Post #: 1
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 11:54:53 AM   
Feltan

I suspect it is game balance.

You could give them 0 points, and then increase something on the map that the Japanese are likely to never invade -- like a base deep in the US.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The VP's for off map bases are a not that significant.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 12:06:04 PM   
Yaab

Yeah, game balance probably. But some of those bases can still be developed further to bring more victory points for the Allies. A nice freebie.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 3
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 12:30:03 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Yeah, game balance probably. But some of those bases can still be developed further to bring more victory points for the Allies. A nice freebie.

You might want to stop and think about just how many freebies the Japanese get in the game in order to make them more ahistorically competitive so playing that side would actually have an appeal to gamers.

Do you typically play scenario 1 or automatically gravitate to scenario 2 which gives Japan lots of freebies? Personally, I play scenario 30 which gives huge amounts of freebies to the Japanese in the name of game balance.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 2:19:02 PM   
Itdepends

Well since victory is based on ratio of victory points- having a certain number that can't be taken is an easy way of adjusting how much of the map the Japanese need to take to get auto victory (excluding plane, ship, LCU losses).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 7:08:47 PM   
geofflambert

On the subject, my opponent appears to be expanding the airfields at CT and O'bama's birthplace . Is there a point to that? In case you're confused, I didn't mean Honolulu.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 7:39:16 PM   
kaleun

I don't know about Obama's birthplace but there may be a point to expanding CT as far as repair/upgrade of aircraft goes.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 9:07:32 PM   
Feltan

I would really prefer that instead of calling it "Obama's Birthplace," that we used the correct terminology -- "The Frank Marshall Davis International Airport."

Thank you.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 8
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 10:46:48 PM   
mike scholl 1

Should the Japanese get VP's for anything except resources brought back to Japan? That's what they went to war to secure.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 9
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/4/2013 11:15:01 PM   
Icedawg

I don't pay attention to VP's, so I would be fine either way. To me, if I feel like I'm winning, then I am. If I feel like I'm losing, then I'm losing.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 10
RE: Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? - 10/5/2013 12:48:45 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

You might want to stop and think about just how many freebies the Japanese get in the game in order to make them more ahistorically competitive so playing that side would actually have an appeal to gamers.

Do you typically play scenario 1 or automatically gravitate to scenario 2 which gives Japan lots of freebies? Personally, I play scenario 30 which gives huge amounts of freebies to the Japanese in the name of game balance.

Still having got to mid 1945 in a well played campaign, I would have to say that the VP total has to be weighted more to the Japanese player. Ark has done a great job playing Japan but the VPs come too easily for the Allies in 1944 and 45. My two cents.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 10/5/2013 12:49:21 AM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should Allies get VPs for off-map bases? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI