Will midget subs engage submarines?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

linrom

Will midget subs engage submarines?

Post by linrom »

Will midget subs take a shot at enemy submarines?
Jorge_Stanbury

RE: Will midget subs engage submarines?

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I think it will all depend on the mission,

if you put it in a sub patrol TF... it will work as a regular sub, with very little range obviously

The "midget sub" mission will probably target the "best" target at the port (which might be a submarine), my experiences so far had been only Pearl Harbor (targeting BBs) and failures... lots of failure
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

if you put it in a sub patrol TF... it will work as a regular sub, with very little range obviously

The "midget sub" mission will probably target the "best" target at the port (which might be a submarine), my experiences so far had been only Pearl Harbor (targeting BBs) and failures... lots of failure

I've had some success with midgets against other targets, but I haven't been able to make them work like the Day 1 midget attacks on Pearl.

Basically, I'll take the midget sub carrier mission to a hex out from the target and a turn later I'll send the midget sub on in to the target, expecting it to die but maybe shoot something first. But now that I've divulged that, I may need to change my pattern... Like figure out how to make them work like the Day 1 midget sub attacks on Pearl.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

yup.

I deploy them defensively at some of my ports.

Regarding Turn 1 @ PH - I've had turns with hits and some with misses. It has something to do with the dice gods...

Skill level affects targeting/hits but I hate to put good leaders into midg-a-subs.
TTFN,

Mike
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I mostly meant it showing up as "Midget submarine attack at Pearl Harbor!" in the combat events scroller, rather than just a normal "submarine attack" like how I've been doing. I imagine it has something to do with setting the destination hex for the midget sub carrier TF to your target port or whatever, and it will automatically release the midget sub, etc.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

But now that I've divulged that, I may need to change my pattern...

I have read that idea in some AARs; so your opponent might be already expecting it.

I have tried, and failed, both ways, but I would say that at the very least, the chances of not dying are better if you send it in a "sub patrol" mission.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”