Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Passenger Ships limited?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Passenger Ships limited? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Passenger Ships limited? - 9/22/2013 10:20:38 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Recently I noticed in several different builds that Passenger Ships seem to carry a fixed 20K Passengers regardless of design capacity.

While I didn't try with only 1 Passenger Bay, at standard "Transport Systems" tech it seems that no Passenger Ship will benefit from more than 2 Passenger Bays

Ships with 2, 5 and 10 Bays all only transport 20K Passengers.

On Resort Bases however, they seem capable of holding immense amounts of Guests. 35 Passenger Bays were holding ~8000K Guests at one point. (145K in Resort income can be nice...)

What if any is the rhyme or reason in how these work, and what does "Capacity: 100" really mean??
Post #: 1
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/22/2013 10:29:00 PM   
StarLab

It depends on what the passenger ships are carrying...

Tourists seem to be capped at 20K per trip where migrants will fill to capacity (7200K in my current passenger design)

I think the 20K tourists may be a balance cap of some kind but not entirely sure...

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series:
New Universe LP
Collaborative LP

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 2
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/22/2013 11:28:09 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Ahh,as a balance cap it actually makes some sense. I'll need to try and find a Passenger load on Migration duty and see what that is.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 3
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/23/2013 1:08:36 PM   
Jeeves

With 50 massive passenger compartments, my passengers ships handle 180 million migrants, but as you have found, will carry only 20k tourists. It's for game balance since otherwise tourist income would make other sources of revenue negligible. The pendulum has swung too far in my opinion, with resorts not even paying maintenance in most cases.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 4
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/23/2013 5:12:10 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

They should then just add a new class of ship, ie the Taxi Cab, let that carry the 20K around, and let the Liners carry the mass passengers.

As to resorts. guests should attend them based on how scenic they are or something. All too often I find some prime Blackhole resort virtually empty compared to some unbonused resort at a standard planet.

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 5
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/26/2013 12:52:27 PM   
Fenrisfil

I wonder, if you are building cheap passenger ships with less capacity, would the civilian AI build more of them? If that is the case then it could possibly work out better for tourism while not ruining migration.

Post #: 6
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/26/2013 1:29:47 PM   
Jeeves

Nope, it's 3 passenger ships per colony up to the tenth, after the first. Then it is 1.5 per colony till doomsday.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 7
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/27/2013 2:41:36 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

Nope, it's 3 passenger ships per colony up to the tenth, after the first. Then it is 1.5 per colony till doomsday.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Do Resorts figure into that at all? Or if I build a Resort before any colonies, then there will be no ships to service it?

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 8
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/27/2013 1:25:30 PM   
Jeeves

Hmm , haven't tried a resort before my first colony, but the number of passenger ships is determined by number colonies, not resorts.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Post #: 9
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/27/2013 6:44:35 PM   
Fenrisfil

So maybe the best thing to do for tourism is just to build one giant resort base on a good nearby location (or create a normal one and upgrade it to a massive one so it can bring in tourists right away).

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 10
RE: Passenger Ships limited? - 9/28/2013 12:36:19 PM   
Jeeves

There's no point to having more than ten massive passenger compartments on a resort. At 36 million capacity it would take hundreds of years to fill up.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Passenger Ships limited? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI