Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for soviet opponent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for soviet opponent Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for soviet opponent - 9/21/2013 11:38:29 PM   
caliJP

My skill level:
started playing a few months ago, just completed my first game against a human. Unfortunately he gave up after 10 turns. I thought he was actually doing quite well...
So I am certainly not a pro.

I can do 4-6 turns per week.
I am open on house rules. I like the SD concept. I won't do the rail through Roumania at the beginning. No bombing of HQs as it seems cheesy. Normal mode, FoW, random weather seems more realistic, but I am flexible.

JP
Post #: 1
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/22/2013 12:37:40 PM   
ool

I would be willing to give you a game. What is "SD concept"?

Are you looking for a morale adjustment to help out the German side?

In return for no gamey opening move by you I would be willing to not drop scads of Soviet paratroopers behind your lines during the game to put you out of supply.

Let me know.

(in reply to caliJP)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/22/2013 12:49:37 PM   
Radagy

I was the "10 turns guy".
I can confirm that JP is quite a good and reliable opponent. May be I was doing well, but he surely was doing far better than me. I couldn't see a way to stop him encircling 20 russians divs a turn. Far too many I guess, and I gave up. Looking at some AAR (I'm a noob) may be I gave up a bit too late, but surely I was doing a worse than historical performance.
Anywway watch out for for his flyng birds. he is quite apt to make the best use of them
By now I'm just waiting the next patch nerfing air supply and first russian winter, then i will start again another match.
Cheers

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/23/2013 12:57:04 AM   
caliJP

ool,

I think I'd like to do another game in Normal mode, so no moral advantage to the germans. I think it is challenging for the germans, but I am trying to learn, so I'd like to take at least one game in such mode pretty deep if possible.
The SD concept (introduced to me by Radagy), is mainly to prevent the soviets from retreating all the way to Siberia in 1941 :)
----------------
SCENARIO 11: 1941-45 CAMPAIGN–SUDDEN
DEATH (22 JUNE 1941 - 4 JULY 1945)
Scenario Size: Large
Turns: 211
This campaign is a variant of the 1941-45 Campaign - Alt VC260 campaign, with the only
change being additional sudden death victory conditions. The victory conditions are the same
as that in the Alt VC260 campaign with the addition of three sudden death victory condition
checks made during the campaign. The checks are made at the beginning of the first turn of
April 1942, April 1943 and April 1944. If during one of these checks, a player is determined to
have met their Sudden Death victory conditions, the game will immediately end and declare a
Decisive Victory for the winner.
April 1942
German Victory if victory points are >=242
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=191
April 1943
German Victory if victory points are >=255
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=188
April 1944
German Victory if victory points are >=210
Soviet Victory if victory points are <=150
The Alt VC260 campaign victory conditions used in this campaign as well are:
• The Axis Decisive Victory level (Automatic Victory) is 260 instead of 290.
• The Soviet Major Victory timeframe ends on 31 March 1945 (instead of 31 May 1945) and
the Soviet Minor Victory timeframe between 1 April 1945 and 30 June 1945.
• A draw occurs if Germany does not surrender by 1 July 1945 and the Axis has less than
142 victory points.

-------------------

Radagy, thanks for your message. We must both be pessimists as each thinks the other was doing better :)

-------------------

ool, let me know if that works for you, or suggest alternative.

JP

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/23/2013 1:58:57 AM   
ool

Prefer regular GC41-45. Tried this Sudden death and found it totally unrealistic in my opinion.

Other than that the rest is fine with me. Random weather will introduce a interesting unknown to the equation that I haven't experienced before.

So if thats alright with you I will need your email address and we can get started.

(in reply to caliJP)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/23/2013 3:59:33 PM   
caliJP

ool, standard is fine with me
let's do it.
my email is calijp67@gmail.com

Just out of curiosity: what did you find unrealistic about the SD rules?

JP

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/25/2013 7:17:56 PM   
hfarrish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Radagy

I was the "10 turns guy".
I can confirm that JP is quite a good and reliable opponent. May be I was doing well, but he surely was doing far better than me. I couldn't see a way to stop him encircling 20 russians divs a turn. Far too many I guess, and I gave up. Looking at some AAR (I'm a noob) may be I gave up a bit too late, but surely I was doing a worse than historical performance.
Anywway watch out for for his flyng birds. he is quite apt to make the best use of them
By now I'm just waiting the next patch nerfing air supply and first russian winter, then i will start again another match.
Cheers

Everyone is free to do what they want, but I think its insane to play without limiting air resupply to transports only. Combine that with some house rules to keep the Soviet honest and not running for the hills and you have a game...otherwise you just have silliness (from an "anywhere near reality" perspective).

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for soviet opponent - 9/25/2013 8:07:53 PM   
Radagy

Obviously, when I wrote flying birds I meant fuel birds.
I was quite surprised when I saw JP's armored spearheads at 80% fuel every turn, from 2 to 10, but this is within the rules as is the 1:1 to 2:1 russian attack rule and the tremendous first winter rules.
But I'm non complaining about it. According to other AARs, by now air refueling it's the one way to keep the game interesting and balanced.
All the game should be reworked to be both historical and fair. That's what they are doing with WITE2 I guess.
Let's wait for the next patch. The changes they are working at could change things a lot.

(in reply to hfarrish)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for soviet opponent Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI