Matrix Games Forums

Community impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carriers.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Carriers. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carriers. - 9/17/2013 12:07:33 AM   
Larsenex

I have read an item that caught my eye. I almost never 'manage' my fighters/bombers and let the AI do it. I design a carrier with the maximum amount of fighter bays I can squeeze in it after the needed parts its got to have.

Do you all actually asign or manage fighters?

What loadouts do you all typically use?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Post #: 1
RE: Carriers. - 9/17/2013 7:40:58 AM   
Canute

Carrier don't need to be very fast like other military ships so you don't need very much engines.
You don't need extra weapons, but some point defence maybe Ion weapons should be ok.
But you need a good defence and some extra fuel cells are usefull too.
Maybe 2-5 Assault pods so you can capture ships/bases can be very useful too. But beware when you made BIG carriers later with 10+ Fighter bays, you won't be able to capture small ships/bases anymore. The fighter stop shooting when the ships are down, but the next salve when the shields are raised mosttimes destroy the target or damage it so badly that you scapt it afterwards anyway.

Since you don't have any extra weapons at the Carrier and the fighter got a big operations range, set the design to Evade/evade. So the ship never come close to a strong Base and the fighter do their job.

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 2
RE: Carriers. - 9/17/2013 2:58:12 PM   
Shark7

You might also want a tractor beam or two on a carrier. Tractor beams can pull in or repel enemy ships, so in the case of a carrier a tractor beam should keep enemies away from it.

I'm not a big carrier user myself, preferring to keep mine small as support vessels to my big ships, but even in that role they are very useful.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Canute)
Post #: 3
RE: Carriers. - 9/17/2013 5:07:15 PM   
Larsenex

Do you manage the fighter/bombers/missile carriers?

I am thinking 25% fighter, 50% torp bomber, 25% missle bomber.

Can we set the carriers to this load?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Carriers. - 9/17/2013 5:20:15 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

I am a fan of big as they can be Carriers. Heavy Shields, a bit of Armor, DC/Repair, Countermeasures, HyperDeny, and then all the Bays that can fit.
For instance in a recent game ship size at 1100 base, my Carrier was 1649sz with 22 Bays.

At that point I was running 6 main Fleets, each had 10x Capitals, 3x Carriers, and one attached Troop Transport when being used Offensively.
As well as several defense fleets that were 4x Destroyers or Cruisers, depending what era they were build in.
Even running all these ships and Bases I still had 5.5MCr on hand, and a +250K cash flow even after several Financial Collapses the last time I remember looking..

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Carriers. - 9/28/2013 12:55:46 AM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Do you manage the fighter/bombers/missile carriers?

I am thinking 25% fighter, 50% torp bomber, 25% missle bomber.

Can we set the carriers to this load?

Too much micro. A setting in the ship design screen would be nice. But you can t even choose that your tractor beam repels raiding pirates, instead of pulling them in, or your missile ships repelling enemy close range ships instead of pulling them in...

So dont count on it and just suppress your knowledge that you can finetune, just accept the loadout as given...

DW:U BalanceMod v0.9 (extended TechTree)
compatible with DW:U Extended, StarTrek and XPanded

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3624576

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Carriers. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI