Guadalcanal Scenario

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo

Guadalcanal Scenario

Post by bo »

There have been some questions about invasions, sea boxes, pilots, carrier planes so I thought I would bring this AAR to the front page maybe it would help some players who are just starting to look at Guadalcanal.

What you are seeing here is the Naval summary chart. In many computer games it is sometimes difficult to find units on the map naval or ground units. This particular screen solves the naval aspect of that. When you have the game before you and you are looking at the map if you click on a empty sea hex this screen will appear. I will try to explain it to you as best I can.

The top 6 blocks show the ports where the Japanese [axis] players ships are. By clicking on any port the screen on the left will show you all the naval and ground units in that port. I clicked on Rabaul and the screen on the left shows you what assests you have there. I am using carrier planes and pilots optional rules.

The columns are in order of Carriers first, Battleships second, Cruisers third, transports, ground units and subs in the fourth column. The naval summary on the right show you where all your naval assets are. the second part of the naval chart shows all the naval assests in their different sea areas. There is plenty more selections on this chart but after reading some of the posts here I do not know if it behooves me to continue with this and a AAR on Guadalcanal. Would appreciate some feedback positive or negative. It is up to you posters whether I continue or not.

An addition to the first part in the Naval summary page.

As Orm responded they are on the carriers and you will notice that a carrier with the 4 on it is its capacity for air units, you may put an air unit of 4 [square box] on that carrier, you may put 2 air units of 2 each on that carrier or two air units of a 1 and a 3, You can never put more than 2 air units or go over the carrier capcity of 4 for this particular carrier, meaning an air unit of 3 coupled with an air unit 2 would be 1 over the carrier rating.

You will also notice under the close button "unit lists" a circle with the word status next to it. If I had been in the naval move phase of the program and had clicked on that button little colored lights would be on top and on the sides of the carriers, showing me the options for that carrier eg: able to sortie out of port, being disorganized etc.

If I say things you do not understand, have me go back over them remember never really did this before.

Bo

Attachments
Navalreviewsummary.jpg
Navalreviewsummary.jpg (220.01 KiB) Viewed 307 times
gridley

RE: Guadalcanal Scenario

Post by gridley »

Quick question on the carriers. Are the 2 CVP to the right of Akagi on the Akagi? You can have 2 CVP's, that in this instance add up to 4, on one CV???
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: gridley

Quick question on the carriers. Are the 2 CVP to the right of Akagi on the Akagi? You can have 2 CVP's, that in this instance add up to 4, on one CV???
Yes, they are both on the Akagi.

You may stack up to 2 carrier planes on each CV, provided that the sum of the size of all carrier planes stacked on a single CV is no more than that CV's air component.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Easo79

Post by Easo79 »

Bo,

thank you very much for posting this. I will read it avidly...You mentioned in another thread that you made a previuos Guadalcanal AAR, but I have been unable to locate it...and, well, I think I would like to take a look at that one, too.

And yes, pleaseeee, continue....please, please....
A l’hora que el sol se pon, bevent al raig de la font, he assaborit els secrets de la terra misteriosa.

Part de dins de la canal he vist l’aigua virginal venir del fosc naixement a regalar-me la boca.
Orm

Post by Orm »

It looks nice, Bo. [:)]

And please do continue. I eager to follow this and learn more about the struggle for Guadalcanal. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Orm

And please do continue. I eager to follow this and learn more about the struggle for Guadalcanal. [:)]
Yes, I agree.[&o]

Bo, you might do a matching post, similar to your first, for the US & Commonwealth naval units. Those two could be combined in one screenshot since they more or less fight together against Japan.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Easo79

Bo,

thank you very much for posting this. I will read it avidly...You mentioned in another thread that you made a previuos Guadalcanal AAR, but I have been unable to locate it...and, well, I think I would like to take a look at that one, too.

And yes, pleaseeee, continue....please, please....
That one I cant find either so maybe I lied, I might have deleted it because of no interest.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yes, I agree.[&o]

Bo, you might do a matching post, similar to your first, for the US & Commonwealth naval units. Those two could be combined in one screenshot since they more or less fight together against Japan.

Certainly Admiral Nimitz [&o] I was just getting started to see if there would be any interest.

Bo

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

messed up
Attachments
US fleet.jpg
US fleet.jpg (220.37 KiB) Viewed 321 times
bo

Post by bo »

This is the US naval summary page. I picked Hawaii in this picture but you will be able to pick any port or sea area you so choose, now there will come a time when you have more ports or sea areas than can be shown on the naval summary page, you will then be able to click on any port and cycle through them until you get to the port you are looking for. Again I am trying to get this right and any one can correct me without retibution. Maybe!

You will notice that the CV Lexington has an air unit with a 4 rating [sq box] CV Enterprise with an air unit rating of 2 and the US Yorktown with a air unit rating of 4. If I had in reserve a air carrier group of a 1 or a 2--- I could put them on the Enterprise but I did not have them at this time in the game.

Carrier air units: Lexington carries a SBD dive bomber with different qualifications on its counter. Top left [2] air to air capability [enemy fighters or bombers]-- top right air to sea rating [5] bombing capability against enemy naval ships a [5] is pretty potent. Bottom left tacticle factor [enemy ground units] bottom right Strategic bombardment factors [ mostly against factories] yellow round circle [hex range] if you notice each air unit has different capabilities.

In the 4th column you will see the 2nd Marine division, above it is a transport, by right clicking the transport a load onto transport option comes up, by clicking on the 2nd marine unit it loads onto the transport and can be sent to any sea area or land area within range. You will also notice Nimitz, a Headquarters unit and a anti tank unit [pink circle is defence factor.] More to come.

Bo

Attachments
USfleet.jpg
USfleet.jpg (220.37 KiB) Viewed 304 times
composer99

Post by composer99 »

I've never played the Guadalcanal scenario, nor seen it played, so this should be interesting.
~ Composer99
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: composer99

I've never played the Guadalcanal scenario, nor seen it played, so this should be interesting.

Hi composer, it is going to get very interesting as I move into the AAR, up next is the invasion of Guadalcanal by Japanese SNLF units [Special Naval landing forces] please bear with me.

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

Guadalcanal scenario May/June 1942

This is Japans opening move for the invasion of Guadalcanal. The Japanese [axis] moved 5 aircraft carriers with 7 air fleets on board along with 4 of their finest battleships for bombardment, and a transport loaded with Japanese SNLF troops [Special Naval Landing forces][ same qualifications as US Marines] from Rabaul into the Coral Sea, the picture you are seeing is with the cursor over the Japanese fleet in sea box 2. [sea boxes can be explained by better people than me]

I used a combined attack so I could move naval units and invade in the same phase. In the next post I will show you the invasion and explain what happened.

Bo

Attachments
Step1seamovment.jpg
Step1seamovment.jpg (191.2 KiB) Viewed 303 times
bo

Post by bo »

The Japanese marines landed on the western end of Guadalcanal and captured Henderson field, their fierce opposition was a notional unit, you may ask what is a notional unit [subject to interpretation] It could have been a few CW castaways or some natives with spears who knows, for sure it was not a CW ground unit. The Japanese marines landed, backed up by bombardment from the 4 battleships and ground attacks by carrier bombers, OVERKILL, hell yes, I leave nothing to chance. Henderson field has nothing to do with anything in this game it is just a name and has no operational pluses. [to my knowledge] The other naval unit in sea box 0 is a convoy to bring supply [opitional rule-limited overseas supply] to the Japanese units on Guadalcanal.

Bo

Attachments
part2invasion.jpg
part2invasion.jpg (163.14 KiB) Viewed 303 times
bo

Post by bo »

With Guadalcanal securely in Japanese possession, at least the western half, they [Japanese] quickly moved air assests during the air rebase phase to the captured portion of Guadalcanal.

The flyout you see is of the marine unit, a Japanese bomber and a seaplane for scouting all in the same hex, the air units have been moved from other areas near Rabaul. Flyouts can be used to see all the units in land hexes instead of clicking each unit using the next unit click move [time consuming] there is also another way of looking at units, up in the interface in the view area you can use "toggle units in hex panel." It is a small oblong box and when laid over the units it shows who the units are and their assets. pretty cool and well thought out.

Ok done for the night, but tomorrow a real treat. FDR not happy about the invasion of Guadalcanal because he and his Admirals and Generals realize that with the capture of Guadalcanal and with Port Moresby on nearby New Guinea in danger of being captured by the Japanese 20th army group two hexes away that all portions of the Coral Sea will be Japanese controlled and that could lead to dire consequences for Australia by cutting off all sea lanes and all supply lanes to this downunder nation.

So! FDR orders Nimitz to strike back in the Coral sea with his 3 US carriers, the Lexington, the Yorktown and the Enterprise, 3 battleships and 6 cruisers with a compliment of marines namely the 2nd Marine division all located at Pearl Harbor. Tomorrow the two naval powers collide. Excited crussdaddy

Damn just found out that nimitz ordered the CV USS Hornet in Baltimore to Pearl at all possible speed. Now I have to wait until the Hornet gets to Pearl Harbor.

Bo

Attachments
airrebase.jpg
airrebase.jpg (204.46 KiB) Viewed 303 times
JimMerson

Post by JimMerson »

This is interesting. I guess it is time to see if I can find my old WiF rulebook again and read up on this. It has been years!!!!

Glad to see this one coming out. I will be in line for it.

Jim
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: JimMerson

This is interesting. I guess it is time to see if I can find my old WiF rulebook again and read up on this. It has been years!!!!

Glad to see this one coming out. I will be in line for it.

Jim

Thank you Jim welcome back, go A&M beat Bama [&o]

Bo
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Yep. Thanks very much Bo. I'm planning on observing this, boning up on the rules and doing this scenario in the old CWiF beta in preparation for MWiF.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
composer99

Post by composer99 »

It's worth noting that while the hex name "Henderson Field" has no game-mechanic benefit associated with it, the hex so named features a minor port, which does. Most significantly, with respect to the Pacific War, a minor port can stack up to 2 air units (*), regardless of the terrain of the hex it is in, while most hexes with nothing but terrain can stack 0 or 1.

(*) If playing with the optional rule for "flying boats", up to 1 flying boat air unit can also stack in a hex, independent of other air unit stacking, as long as the hex has some coastal hexside.

Looking at the image bo has shown of the Japanese occupation of Guadalcanal, bo's Japanese forces can stack, if they desire, an additional air unit in the hex with the minor port that they have just now acquired.

Edit: As a further note, great start, bo! Thanks for starting up this AAR.
~ Composer99
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: composer99

It's worth noting that while the hex name "Henderson Field" has no game-mechanic benefit associated with it, the hex so named features a minor port, which does. Most significantly, with respect to the Pacific War, a minor port can stack up to 2 air units (*), regardless of the terrain of the hex it is in, while most hexes with nothing but terrain can stack 0 or 1.

(*) If playing with the optional rule for "flying boats", up to 1 flying boat air unit can also stack in a hex, independent of other air unit stacking, as long as the hex has some coastal hexside.

Looking at the image bo has shown of the Japanese occupation of Guadalcanal, bo's Japanese forces can stack, if they desire, an additional air unit in the hex with the minor port that they have just now acquired.

Edit: As a further note, great start, bo! Thanks for starting up this AAR.

That will keep me going Composser any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Another air unit, boy picky picky [:D] First thing in the morning I will add another air unit, probably will need it because I know the US fleet is heading towards the Coral Sea but first a Japanese coast watcher on the Burma coast noticed a CW fleet coming out of Calcutta heading into the Sea of Bengal most likely heading towards the Coral Sea.

What the CW fleet commander did not know was that there was 5 Japanese Cvl's lying in wait for just such a move. Japanese Cvl's in this game are not real strong as they only carry a 1 air compliment. Of the five carrier air units two are fighter squadrons and the other three bomber squandrons with only an air to sea value of six, not cool.

Compare this with the 5 Japanese main fleet carriers in the Coral sea which have an air to sea attack value of 19. Big difference so I might ask the Japanese admiral in the Sea of Bengal to do an all out attack even if it means the sacrifice of all the carriers just to impede the CW task force from reaching the Coral sea, I mean after all isn't dying for the Divine Emperor the code of the Samurai and the Bushido. [the way of the warrior]

Right now I am very nervous and might have to take a Lorazapan tonight [>:], the battle might start at dawn got to have my wits about me.

Bo

Return to “After Action Report”