Nov 8th

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

gridley

Nov 8th

Post by gridley »

Soooo...who would like to play? I am not one who can play solitaire.

I have played WiF for years, but would not consider myself an expert. Especially after I visited another group playing in Ottawa a few years ago...now they were good.

I'd like to play a fairly conservative game at first to get the feel for how the game works. Especially to see how the new Chinese map effects things.

I am used to playing with Ships in Flames, Planes in Flames, and Mech in Flames counters.

We also played with many of the optional rules. One rule we did not play with, and that I would like to play with now that the computer can keep track of it, is the RAW oil option. I know this Oil rule is going to take some getting used to.

We very rarely played till the end. However, we very rarely ended a game before...I'd say mid '44. Dice have a funny way of turning the tide of many games that seemed like foregone conclusions in '42. That being said, as we get used to MWiF, I would expect more than a few early re-starts.

I am located in the Eastern Time Zone, I think GMT-4 or 5.

I don't really care what country or side.

I'm not sure if, to start, it would be best to have just 2 players or more???

With the board game we would get together 1 night a week to play. I guess with MWiF, shorter sessions more often could be doable instead. Still, one dedicated night a week seems like a good way to do it.

Anyone interested in starting to get a game organized???

Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Nov 8th

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: gridley

Soooo...who would like to play? I am not one who can play solitaire.

I have played WiF for years, but would not consider myself an expert. Especially after I visited another group playing in Ottawa a few years ago...now they were good.

I'd like to play a fairly conservative game at first to get the feel for how the game works. Especially to see how the new Chinese map effects things.

I am used to playing with Ships in Flames, Planes in Flames, and Mech in Flames counters.

We also played with many of the optional rules. One rule we did not play with, and that I would like to play with now that the computer can keep track of it, is the RAW oil option. I know this Oil rule is going to take some getting used to.

We very rarely played till the end. However, we very rarely ended a game before...I'd say mid '44. Dice have a funny way of turning the tide of many games that seemed like foregone conclusions in '42. That being said, as we get used to MWiF, I would expect more than a few early re-starts.

I am located in the Eastern Time Zone, I think GMT-4 or 5.

I don't really care what country or side.

I'm not sure if, to start, it would be best to have just 2 players or more???

With the board game we would get together 1 night a week to play. I guess with MWiF, shorter sessions more often could be doable instead. Still, one dedicated night a week seems like a good way to do it.

Anyone interested in starting to get a game organized???

2 players only in the initial release. I will be working on patches for a while after the initial release, and one of things will be to enable up to 6 players using NetPlay.

[I need to buy a couple more computers so I can test a 4 player game as I write and debug that code. My wife says no more computers until I get the initial release released.[:D]]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
JimMerson

RE: Nov 8th

Post by JimMerson »

I would love to play, but have never played a game of WiF. I have read the rulebook a few times, tried to solo the Barbarosa scenario etc. But never experienced a live opponent. Let me see if I can get this thing figured out before I go off trying a game.

Jim
bosbes

RE: Nov 8th Solitaire?

Post by bosbes »

Since there will be no AI available (at least not at the start), playing this pc game in solitaire will be possible?
Lone Ranger
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: hoe ist?

Since there will be no AI available (at least not at the start), playing this pc game in solitaire will be possible?
Yes.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

It's actually a lot of fun solitaire. If there is a friend with you you can play each other on the same computer. Otherwise you can play another person if you are both online at the same time.

AI and PBEM are coming later.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
bosbes

Post by bosbes »

If you buy WIF now, will the AI later be included as a patch or DLC?
Lone Ranger
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

If you buy WIF now, will the AI later be included as a patch or DLC?

It won't be free.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “World in Flames”