Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 3:08:47 AM   
tm1

Hi
just been looking through the original campaign game ( 290 turn )and as far as I can see or cant see as things go is the Soviet units that began to be transferred to the far east during 1944/45 for the invasion of Manchuria.
I ask this as sometime in the future I intend to play this campaign and it seems only fair that these units get withdrawn like Axis units do during the game.
Am I missing something here or can some one shed some light the matter thanks

Regards TM
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 8:34:12 AM   
loki100

from my limited experience as you get to the end of 1944, assuming a basically historical game, the front starts to narrow a lot. The result is with the Soviets you end up with quite a lot of spare units sitting to the rear. So its sort of irrelevant if they are formally withdrawn or not - at the very least keeping them static and back on the rail net all helps reduce your truck problems.

If I recall, 6 Tank Army was the only unit sent east that had been involved in the final battles in Germany and that went after the fall of Berlin.

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 9:26:00 AM   
Aurelian

5th Army too. Got as far as East Prussia before it was sent to the 1st Far Eastern Front.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 9:33:46 AM   
Walloc

Problem from a technical POV as u dont have a historic OOB on the russian side, so there is no assurance that u have the historical units that was withdrawn. What if u dont build it? How do u deal with that.
In fact if u had gone with a historical OOB all thigs given and its been shown/discussed at length else where u would have a unit wise larger army than what is the realities in game. I dunno if that is some of the explanation, but ur correct there is no withdrawls per say.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 10:40:27 AM   
loki100

this is a good point. You could force the withdrawal of so many combat and HQ units, but that is problematic. If the game has gone roughly with history, its fairly irrelevant as the Red Army has surplus units - its pretty unlikely a German player would create the equivalent of the Courland Pocket.

If the war is still on a broader front, then August Storm is not going to happen in the late summer of 1945. Instead, if the Soviets did attack, it would have been purely with the still quite powerful Far Eastern armies.

At least most German withdrawals were connected with the shifting dynamics (or their fears) in the West - and it seems as if WiTW has a neat way to cope with this. Whatever was going to happen in Manchuria in late 1945, it was not going to be a Japanese attack on the USSR.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/11/2013 1:16:07 PM   
rrbill

Think the way forward would be to manage the reinforcement rates rather than units. If this reassignment is to be modeled after one has played many turns (meaning that units are way out of line vs. history) it wouldn't be possible to model units, just troop/equipment levels. Adjustments for current status would need to be made as loki100 notes.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/23/2013 6:00:46 AM   
tm1

hi
thanks for the info for this particular campaign it makes it even tougher for the Axis but im prepare to fight it out to the end even if its just against the AI.
Hopefully when WITE2 there will be proper soviet reinforce /withdrawal schedule if they put in a 290 long turn game
TM

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule - 9/23/2013 10:32:42 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: tm1

hi
thanks for the info for this particular campaign it makes it even tougher for the Axis but im prepare to fight it out to the end even if its just against the AI.
Hopefully when WITE2 there will be proper soviet reinforce /withdrawal schedule if they put in a 290 long turn game
TM

to be honest, I think you are missing the point of the discussion. 2 Soviet formations, that took part in some of the fighting in Germany, went to the Far East. The important one, 6 TA went post the fall of Berlin. Remember that Stalin's promise/threat was that the USSR would attack Japan so many days after the destruction of the Third Reich (I forget the actual time scale but I think it was around 90 days which fits).

More to the point, if early 1945 had seen the front still in Russia, then quite simply nothing would have been withdrawn. Stalin kept a large army around Manchuria all through the war - indeed the units withdrawn for the Moscow counterstroke were replaced (albeit with less well trained formations) in 1942.

If your game has a broadly historical front line, then with the loss of the Baltic States, the front will have shortened considerably. In reality, and most likely in game, the Soviets had spare formations, even with forces screening the Courland Pocket, by that stage of the war

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet reinforce/withdraw schedule Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI