1962 Waterloo & Vassal Game Engine

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sweeteye

1962 Waterloo & Vassal Game Engine

Post by sweeteye »

Just ordered a copy of Avalon Hills 1962 Waterloo board game via the internet.Was browsing the web to see what kind of information I might find on the game and stumbled across the Vassal game engine site and an AH Waterloo module for it.Really do not know a whole lot about the engine other than it is free to download and runs on Java.There is a large list of board game titles available to download and the games can be played solitaire or against another human.I am set up and ready to play a solitaire game of Waterloo the old fashioned way.Thought perhaps some might find the site of some interest.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Terminus

RE: 1962 Waterloo & Vassal Game Engine

Post by Terminus »

It's a very good program. I use it to play Compass Games' Steel Wolves solitaire U-Boat game.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

This was the 2nd wargame I got way back when (I still have it). I remember the bloody Combat result table. It was the same in several early games. 2-1 could still produce an "attacker eliminated" result.Good memories, but seen in today's light, the game is pretty lame.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

The old games are kind of basic when it is all said and done..The combat results tables could be revised...I still like them nonetheless....I have a large number of computer wargames and personally speaking I do not care for the way the combat works out on the majority of them....AI still has a long way to go compared to the human mind....
Headquarters Company

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

You see this, Silly Warspite2-Newblette? Others are discovering the glory that you cower from. Now pick up your weapon! [:'(]

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:World_in_Flames
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Links do not seem to be working.....wonder if it is on my end or whether anyone else is having trouble .......................guess it was just temporary....darn computers[;)]
Headquarters Company

wodin

Post by wodin »

Pretty much all new wargames have a VASSAL mod. The recent GMT Panzer game (Prob the best tactical scale wargame released in recent years) has a superb VASSAL mod.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Was not sure how well known the vassal engine is.....Apparently it is more well known than I thought.
Headquarters Company

DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

AH's Waterloo was the first wargame I ever played! My older brother is undefeated against me, I always insisted on playing as Napoleon...

Rules shouldn't permit the Prussians to set up so close to Quatre Bras, and there's no special rules for cavalry or artillery. Plus no hill terrain, IIRC. Despite its lack of realism, a very fun game, dear to my heart even today. [:)]
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Interesting....Gives me the idea of revising the setup rules and combat tables ....Might be able to spice the game up a little.... [8D]
Headquarters Company

DerTroof

Post by DerTroof »

There may be some house rules/alternate rules on boardgamegeek, or another site. Also, some materials from the Avalon Hill "General" magazine might be available online.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

I have used cyberboard more than vassal, but its in many ways similar.

sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Glad you mentioned cyberboard....will have to check it out a little closer...I would like to get into playing against another person again using a board type game....Do not have anyone close enough anymore that I can play against...I do not mind playing against myself some but you do miss out on the uncertainty that comes with playing against someone else.
Headquarters Company

MarshalJean

Post by MarshalJean »

Hello, sweeteye.

Thank you for your post! I immediately went and downloaded the Vassal module and a couple of games. Quick question, though. How do you play any of them in solitaire mode? Is this only available with certain games, but not all?

Thanks!

MarshalJean
wodin

Post by wodin »

If you mean AI there isn't one..you need to own the boardgame for the rules and then play either both sides or find soemone to play against.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I opened the module using the file button and a welcome screen comes up with several steps to start a new game..I believe the second step asks you to choose a side, play as observer, or solitaire....

Headquarters Company

wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah but no AI..you'll play both sides. Plus you need to know the game rules and scenarios..
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Just finishing up my first solitaire game....me as the French,myself as the British and Prussians...me has been utterly defeated in short order...Have kind of forgot how easy it is to lose stacks of counters on bad rolls...too many 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 attacks...[:D]
Headquarters Company

MarshalJean

Post by MarshalJean »

That's helpful. Thanks, wodin.

MarshalJean
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Guess I misundertood what you were asking Marshal Jean.... Thanks for picking that up Wodin...
Headquarters Company

Return to “General Discussion”