Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding units and replacements.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding units and replacements. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding units an... - 9/7/2013 2:59:41 PM   
skeolen

Dear all,

I am wondering what the most effective way is of dealing with the Commonwealth fleet in the North Africa Campaign. The Commonwealth do not appear to have replacements for their naval vessels. However, when do manage to sink one or more ships, they re-appear some turns later. Is there any way of permanently destroying Commonwealth ships or is putting them out of action for 10 or 15 turns the most the Axis can hope for?

Second, if a formation is due for withdrawal it appears that there is nothing to stop a cynical player from disbanding that formation the turn before its withdrawal and receiving all the men and material into his replacement pool?

Third, is it the case that a players replacements are first expended on reconstituting evaporated units before they go to refitting on-map units? This appears to be my experience with my Italian formations in North Africa.

I am relatively new to TOAW and am in the process of finding my feet. Any advice gratefully received.

Stuart
Post #: 1
RE: Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding unit... - 9/9/2013 3:40:38 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: skeolen

Dear all,

I am wondering what the most effective way is of dealing with the Commonwealth fleet in the North Africa Campaign. The Commonwealth do not appear to have replacements for their naval vessels. However, when do manage to sink one or more ships, they re-appear some turns later. Is there any way of permanently destroying Commonwealth ships or is putting them out of action for 10 or 15 turns the most the Axis can hope for?

Eliminated ships have a chance equal to their proficiency to go to the "on hand" pool instead of being permanently eliminated. For the RN in CFNA that is usually about 80% chance. Think of them as damaged, requiring repair. The duration required before a unit is rebuilt is unit size dependent, so larger vessels will take longer to rebuild, if they so survive.

quote:

Second, if a formation is due for withdrawal it appears that there is nothing to stop a cynical player from disbanding that formation the turn before its withdrawal and receiving all the men and material into his replacement pool?

Yes. Or using it in a Kamikaze fashion. Players must govern themselves on that for now.

quote:

Third, is it the case that a players replacements are first expended on reconstituting evaporated units before they go to refitting on-map units? This appears to be my experience with my Italian formations in North Africa.

General Staff has an excellent analysis of replacement stuff. Search for it, or perhaps someone can direct you to it.

(in reply to skeolen)
Post #: 2
RE: Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding unit... - 9/9/2013 4:22:45 PM   
Oberst_Klink

I presume Bob meant this one:

http://www.gr-8.biz/toaw/rr/replacementsreconstitution.html

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding unit... - 9/9/2013 5:11:40 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

I presume Bob meant this one:

http://www.gr-8.biz/toaw/rr/replacementsreconstitution.html

Klink, Oberst

Thank you, Herr Oberst!

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 4
RE: Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding unit... - 9/9/2013 10:12:20 PM   
skeolen

Thank you again both of you for your time and advice. This helps.

(in reply to skeolen)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The War Room >> Queries on eliminating naval units, disbanding units and replacements. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI