Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 >> Mods and Scenarios >> Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/6/2013 6:55:53 PM   
Erik Nygaard

Another public beta

Drop-box-link:
Petsamo-Kirkenes-beta20b
Put the scenario file in the 'My Documents/Germany At War/Scenarios' folder.

Map: 82x56 2.5km/hex
Russian units: 102 (mostly regiments).
German/Finnish/Norwegian units: 106 + 18 reinforcements (mostly battalions).
Turns: 24-26, the Russians are player-1 and the attacker.
Russian resources: 100/turn, 500 at start
German resources: 200/turn, 500 at start.
Most units have 45/145 experience points. This means they will need just 5 more to reach the next level and be applicable for getting a support unit.
So take a close look at the units after their first battle.
You will probably run out of resources (especially the Russian player), so it may be wise to give units the staff company first.

This is the first rough version. There are a few options I have not managed to work correctly yet.
This beta is mainly to get some feed-back on play-balance.
I have managed a 'brilliant' victory on turn-26, but only just....and I am pretty familiar with this scenario by now.

I will be on vacation for a week and hope to pick up some comments when I get back.

Have fun
Erik

< Message edited by Erik Nygaard -- 9/6/2013 6:57:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/10/2013 8:47:34 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

one question : the Soviets are the attacker - is the scenario build with them in mind in the first place or is it supposed to work for both sides ?

Regards,

(in reply to Erik Nygaard)
Post #: 2
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/11/2013 12:54:40 PM   
Erik Nygaard

If needed, I hope to adjust the scenario so that the AI gives a reasonable fight playing both sides using just one scenario. .
I have only played one whole game as Russian yet. Managed a brilliant victory on the last turn. But of course I knew what to expect of German reinforcements.
I would like to force the German AI to play more defensively, any rules etc to accomplish that?
Also, the Russians performed a few small-scale amphibious invasions, is this possible to do yet?

Erik

(in reply to Ronald Wendt)
Post #: 3
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/11/2013 3:01:51 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

If needed, I hope to adjust the scenario so that the AI gives a reasonable fight playing both sides using just one scenario.

Thats a tough challenge - if you manage it this map could be a multiplayer candidate.

quote:

I would like to force the German AI to play more defensively, any rules etc to accomplish that?

There is a basic adjustment for the AI: ai="defensive" added to the <Player>.
Then it will be more careful about loosing strength points and attacks will be less risky.

Then again all AI moves also heavily depend on the context.

quote:

Also, the Russians performed a few small-scale amphibious invasions, is this possible to do yet?

Not yet. Amphibious moves are on our list, but there is a lot to do before this.

First impressions:

What i noticed was a missing description. You can add a small text that appears before loading the scenario to describe it.

You have to add it in the <Scenario> header like this:

description-en="Northern Russia, Leningrad 19 September 1941:& #x0A; & #x0A;The German leaders demand the conquest of Leningrad and strengthen Army Group North for the attack. The Soviets try to defend the city and lift the siege from the East.& #x0A;Length: 20 turns"

" & #x0A; " orders a line break but there is no space between & and #x0A; it was added to avoid the command being interpreted by the browser.

You should add somthing like "Author: Erik Nygaard" thats a nice touch imho.

I also realized there are some units with blinking updates on the German side - i don't know it thats wanted. They are few enough to be not annoying though.

Currently the German player is chosen by default - maybe for testing the Soviet player is the better choice (even though you want both sides tested)?

You can determine a preselection with adding preferred="1" to one of the sides' <Player>.

The map looks great but is also very huge - maybe a bit too big.

Its fun to have those different fronts during a single battle. I did not have time to play far though but i am looking forward to continue my mission when there is a free spot.

Regards,

Post #: 4
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/11/2013 6:48:53 PM   
Erik Nygaard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

quote:

If needed, I hope to adjust the scenario so that the AI gives a reasonable fight playing both sides using just one scenario.

Thats a tough challenge - if you manage it this map could be a multiplayer candidate.

quote:

First impressions:

What i noticed was a missing description. You can add a small text that appears before loading the scenario to describe it.

You have to add it in the <Scenario> header like this:

description-en="Northern Russia, Leningrad 19 September 1941:& #x0A; & #x0A;The German leaders demand the conquest of Leningrad and strengthen Army Group North for the attack. The Soviets try to defend the city and lift the siege from the East.& #x0A;Length: 20 turns"

" & #x0A; " orders a line break but there is no space between & and #x0A; it was added to avoid the command being interpreted by the browser.

You should add somthing like "Author: Erik Nygaard" thats a nice touch imho.

I also realized there are some units with blinking updates on the German side - i don't know it thats wanted. They are few enough to be not annoying though.

Currently the German player is chosen by default - maybe for testing the Soviet player is the better choice (even though you want both sides tested)?

You can determine a preselection with adding preferred="1" to one of the sides' <Player>.

The map looks great but is also very huge - maybe a bit too big.

Its fun to have those different fronts during a single battle. I did not have time to play far though but i am looking forward to continue my mission when there is a free spot.

Regards,

There should be an intro txt, at least there is a bit of info in the scenario selection list. I cannot check now since I am writing this on a restaurant in Crete

Yes, I will make the Russian the default player, good point.

I was thinking of reusing the map for a German offensive towards Murmansk to save time. But I think I need to be able to add/remove map rows for this, hint-hint

As the Russians you need to fight 2-3 separate battles. I think this adds to the various strategies the attacker may choose.

Now, back to my meal.

Erik

Post #: 5
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/11/2013 8:13:27 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

yes, my bad on the description - its empty as i am testing the German translation and there is none in your map, yet.

Regards,

Post #: 6
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/12/2013 12:58:22 PM   
Erik Nygaard

So this means I should probably remove any 'en' references to make sure the German players will receive the proper messages?

Erik

Post #: 7
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 9/12/2013 3:38:38 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello,

quote:

So this means I should probably remove any 'en' references to make sure the German players will receive the proper messages?

Erik

yes. If you only provide one language leaving out the "-en" (= language command) ensures everyone sees your texts in every version. As soon as you add the command the languages are sorted out and need to be there seperatly for English, German etc.

Regards,

Post #: 8
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/16/2013 4:53:08 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

today i could finish the map, it took me a while because i only played during short breaks and moving 100+ units takes quite some time.

I played as the Russians and finshed in turn 23. The difficulty was set to no bonus and all rules active.

I attached a screenshot with my stats.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/17/2013 8:03:50 AM   
Erik Nygaard

Thank you for playing the scenario.
Looking at the losses stats, did you find it a bit too easy playing as the Russians?

Erik

Post #: 10
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/17/2013 9:37:29 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

was it too easy ? I would say i could solve it 2-3 turns earlier now. The Soviets have a big advantage with all the mortar and artillery units.

First phase of the offensive was overcoming the initial defenses. It took me 6-7 turns.

Second phase was advance to the west to and clearing the area east of the Petsamo-Luostari line from Axis units (which was not completely successful as it turned out later). About 5 turns.

Last stage was the advance to the final cities north and west, dividing the forces into that directions. Still fights in the rear. About 11 turns.

The Germans were stopping me sometimes, but i felt the biggest enemies were the distances and the narrow roads surrounded by hills and mountains.

Con: it was sometimes work to move so many units (and i left some behind for several reasons)
Pro: it felt a lot like one would imagine those fights...endless Soviet columns try to find a way to unleash their potential but are often hindered by the landscape, supply and ambushs.

All in all i think the difficulty was good. Players can still adjust a bonus if they feel one way or the other.

But then again it would be good to have another players opinion to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

< Message edited by Ronald Wendt -- 10/17/2013 9:39:32 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/17/2013 10:10:06 PM   
rosseau

Thanks Erik. I will play asap.

Post #: 12
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/20/2013 1:07:32 PM   
Erik Nygaard

Hi Ronald,
Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Erik

Post #: 13
RE: Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 - 10/21/2013 7:00:22 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hello Erik,

you are welcome, had some fun anyway

Regards,

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 >> Mods and Scenarios >> Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI