Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air War?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Air War? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air War? - 9/1/2013 4:14:18 PM   
arras

Can somebody explain how air war works? Manual does not give much details.

I am having some trouble understanding it. First of all I thought that having air superiority over hex should give you safe air strike possibility without much risk of intercept. On the other hand I thought that is also gives your unit safety against enemy air attacks. However that does not seem to be the case often.

When I am attacking with my "bombers" hex which is contested (yellow under air superiority filter) I get intercepted about 90% of the time. On the other hand I had situation when I was sitting in France (as Germany in 1944) with 4 "fighter" units level 3-4, air superiority filter was green over all of France yet I got my ground units constantly attacked with my fighters failing about 90% of time to intercept sustaining large looses to intercepting fighters (2-4 strength looses per enemy strike attack). I also noted that during AI turn air superiority filter over France turned red.

What should I do to get better chance of striking enemy ground units without being constantly intercepted (during French campaign I had 2 fighters against 1 French yet my bombers got intercepted most of the time when striking in to "yellow" hexes). And what should I do to protect my own units if placing 4 fighters around does not help?

Any rules I should follow?

Playing with fog of war and version 1.08.
Post #: 1
RE: Air War? - 9/2/2013 8:00:04 PM   
arras

OK, I run some tests (version 1.08)

GERMANS ATTACKING

First 1939 scenario, Germans against Poles. One level 1, strength 10 German fighter against 1 Polish, 1 level, 8 strength fighter. German bombers attacking Polish unit. Both sides human controlled.

Number of successful strikes: 10
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 26

Then I added one level 2, 10 strength German fighter which should have given me more than 2:1 air superiority advantage.

Number of successful strikes: 12
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 26

Then I left 1 German, 1 level, 6 strength Fighter which should have given Poles slight advantage.

Number of successful strikes: 10
Number of successful Polish intercepts: 28

BRITS ATTACKING

Then I set up 1 British full strength and 1 French fighter against 1 German fighter and attacked German infantry unit with British bomber.

Number of successful strikes: 21
Number of successful German intercepts: 7

Then I added one German fighter pitting up 2 Allied fighters against 2 German.

Number of successful strikes: 11
Number of successful German intercepts: 7

Then I removed all Allied fighters and run British bombers against total German air superiority of 2 fighters.

Number of successful strikes: 5
Number of successful German intercepts: 5
(sorry I did not keep patience but I think it was not necessary, result are obvious)

Call it "bad luck" if you like but I believe there is something wrong with this game.

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 2
RE: Air War? - 9/28/2013 3:37:45 AM   
Symple

Well, I am in an early game and trying to answer your question. But I have seen very much what you report

(in reply to arras)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Air War? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI