Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign Game Screenshots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Sovereignty: Crown of Kings >> Campaign Game Screenshots Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign Game Screenshots - 8/31/2013 2:00:06 AM   
Breca

The first campaign screenshots with the new UI are in. There are a few polish issues, but it's time we started unveiling what the game will look like.

A few things these shots reveal:

* Sovereignty is a world with cultures and history. This translates into gameplay with unique units, magic, diplomatic relations.
* Landmarks (like Farn's Lighthouse in Belport) provide unique bonuses to the owner.
* Units may have special abilities.
* There is a naval game...

Good Hunting!

Breca

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 8/31/2013 2:01:41 AM   
Breca

Farn's Lighthouse

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Breca -- 8/31/2013 2:03:52 AM >

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 8/31/2013 2:02:55 AM   
Breca

Orcish Raiders

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 8/31/2013 2:05:01 AM   
Breca

Naval power of Ariselle

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 8/31/2013 2:06:17 AM   
Breca

Dragoons

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 9:49:08 AM   
Blind Sniper

Very nice and very interesting!
What about the combat system?

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 2:48:31 PM   
Breca

As the new UI plugs in, we'll be releasing screenshots of the different game screens in stages. We'll also upload some screenshots of the Unit Purchase Screen and the Battlefield Screen in the next few weeks.

As a more general answer, we have two versions of the combat system, and this is done for game pacing:

1) Risk-style Auto-battle: Move your Stack into a province, and the game auto-resolves the battle. Units take losses, retreat, and a winner is declared. It's a bit more complex than Risk, since we have stats and abilities for each unit, but that's the general idea.

2) Panzer General-style Tactical Battlefield: A few Stacks per Realm may be led by Heroes, who function like generals of an army. Heroes have special powers, but their most significant impact is that they allow the player to zoom into a hex-based battlefield of that province. Move your units across a tactical battlefield to claim key objectives. Each province in the game is individually mapped as a zoomed-in version of the main campaign map.

In this way, Stacks without Heroes may be aimed toward less significant fronts, while Hero Stacks should be focused on hot spots.

Good Hunting!

Breca

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 7
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 3:25:01 PM   
TheGrayMouser

Love the campaign map!

Just curious, would you guys ever consider adding a "manual' battle results option. IE the player basically inputs the results of a battle that he/she fights offline using some other method, be it another program, tabletop game etc? Empire in Arms has this ability, as an example
Cheers!

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 5:08:20 PM   
Breca

Manual results is an interesting idea, perhaps most fitting for a Napoleonic or WWII type game, where there are many alternative battle systems covering essentially the same units. Sovereignty is its own world with its own history. Each realm has its own unit types. Each unit has its own Purchase and Upkeep cost. It would be hard to find a way to simulate that in another combat system, and not break the balance in the Sovereignty economy.

What I could see as an option in Preferences is an option to auto-resolve all battles. Some players may wish to simply play the Campaign Game and not get into all the Tactical Battles. Total War had an option like that. I actually used it, since I personally don't enjoy RTS battles. We don't have an RTS, but players may wish to play a faster paced game on the campaign layer only. It wouldn't take much to give them that option.

Breca

(in reply to TheGrayMouser)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 6:20:33 PM   
Jim D Burns

Game looks great so far, look forward to its release. Only critique I have is the small font. My old eyes have to strain to read the text on the cards.

Can you upload a map/terrain key to explain some of the symbols we see on the map?

Jim

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 10
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 6:39:23 PM   
Blind Sniper

Breca thanks for the answer
Waiting for a battle screenshot!

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/1/2013 7:02:31 PM   
Breca

All the symbols are tooltipped in the game, and those are some lower res images, due to forums image size limitations.

Here's a key...

Good Hunting!

Breca

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 12
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/3/2013 4:18:23 PM   
hadberz

Looks good. Reminds me of Dominions 3.

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 13
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/3/2013 5:22:39 PM   
GrumpyMel

Sounds awesome. I really like the art style you guys went with as well. Has a very classic look to it.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 14
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/4/2013 9:35:52 AM   
kafka

the map looks very nice. But, as far as I know, there will be no random map generator (unlike to the dominions 1-4 series), so what about replayability? Are we supposed to hope for some modders to create additional custom maps?

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 15
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/4/2013 10:10:35 AM   
wodin

Lovely artwork...reminds me of an old Amstrad fantasy wargame I played. I suppose FOW was off in those screenies? What could add replayability is random province economy points at the start of the game.

Give auto resolve some chrome though...maybe show the casualty go up for each side pr give some brief battle description, this will give the auto resolve abit of sparkle. Funny enough the Panzer Corps battle holds no interest for me..but I'd like something interesting added to the auto resolve to make it exciting still. I still feel Dom has the bets system for battles I've played..you script the battle pre fight then watch it play out.

If the game offers lots of decisions will be a winner.

(in reply to kafka)
Post #: 16
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/6/2013 9:05:37 AM   
wodin

Also would be cool if different races had different shape shield counters..

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/7/2013 1:46:29 PM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Breca

Manual results is an interesting idea, perhaps most fitting for a Napoleonic or WWII type game, where there are many alternative battle systems covering essentially the same units. Sovereignty is its own world with its own history. Each realm has its own unit types. Each unit has its own Purchase and Upkeep cost. It would be hard to find a way to simulate that in another combat system, and not break the balance in the Sovereignty economy.

What I could see as an option in Preferences is an option to auto-resolve all battles. Some players may wish to simply play the Campaign Game and not get into all the Tactical Battles. Total War had an option like that. I actually used it, since I personally don't enjoy RTS battles. We don't have an RTS, but players may wish to play a faster paced game on the campaign layer only. It wouldn't take much to give them that option.

Breca

I understand what you are saying yet the concept of allowing manual import of results would be something just assumed to be left to the players to devise a third party way of "fighting" the battle. If they "break" the balance of the campaign that's something they'd need to tackle on their own. Just looking at the vast amount of say TT miniatures gamers blogs and web sites, there is clearly a need for a computer strategy game that can allow them to put context into there miniatures battles. There are a few indie "computer moderated campaign builders" out there, but they are very limited in scope
Anyways, I'm no programmer so what from my perspective would be a simple thing to add as an option might be actually quite difficult and from a production standpoint, Im aware that something wont be added if there is no real indication that this is a must have from purchasers.

Hopefully save game files can be edited to adjust results from battles fought outside the system

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 18
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 12:52:56 AM   
Breca

A Campaign-only mode is on the to-do list. I don't know if it will make initial beta, but it will likely be added some time during beta. Auto-battles still have a few decision points, but are quickly resolved.

Good Hunting!

Breca

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 2:08:55 PM   
ASHBERY76

Looks great.How deep is the diplomacy systems and does the A.I roleplay it nation ideology.Can you enslave,vassalise and genocide other nations.

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 20
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 3:07:10 PM   
TheGrayMouser

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Looks great.How deep is the diplomacy systems and does the A.I roleplay it nation ideology.Can you enslave,vassalise and genocide other nations.

Great ?'s I see that your not looking to rule the world with flowers and universal health care haha.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 21
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 3:09:39 PM   
TheGrayMouser

?

Are cities represented , fortresses? ie once defeating a provinces army do you need to besiege cities?

Can one "raid" a province?

Post #: 22
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 3:33:43 PM   
wodin

Gray Mouser..I think a game system would need to be tied into the mini's system using similar rules so the game doesn't break. Thats the only way really a manual input for battles would work. Play testing for balance is a major thing in games and manual inputs is sure to throw the whole game out.

Post #: 23
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/8/2013 3:54:16 PM   
TheGrayMouser

I don't see why it would be a problem since its "your game" so your to blame if you break it. Its no differnet than cheat codes, difficulty sliders, the ability to edit save game files etc, except it would be their for those who want to use it. Ya cant cheat playing with yourself!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 24
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/9/2013 1:18:49 AM   
Breca

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

PEACE, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting.
--Ambrose Bierce

The Diplomacy system functions on several layers:

* Cultural Predispositions: Each realm has its own history, its own animosities and ambitions.
What all this translates to is an intricate web of relations rooted in cultural bias. And yes, these predispositions also influence (but do not determine) decision-making of the AI. Some provinces are historically contested between two realms. Elves tend to prefer Forest. Dwarves tend to like to live in Mountain. Some realms are historically friendly; others have a history of feuds. While these are all powerful influencers for the AI, the future remains yours to shape.

* A Perspective of History: Each Realm has its own history, its own motivations, and these influence its decisions and relations with neighbors. For example, Human Realms are the most widespread, but there are three Elven Realms to choose from. All once fought the relentless incursions of Men, but each today holds a unique world view. The High Elves of Sonneneve chose to sign land concessions in order to reserve what forest remained for themselves. The Night Elves of Sirucil steeped themselves in dark magic to fight a Blood War against all of mankind. Meanwhile, the Wood Elves of Aevinwode simply retreated into the idyll of their enchanted forest, far from bloody battlefields. The Night Elves would dearly love to reunite the Elven armies, but they also harbor deep and ancient wounds. When the Elven Nations needed unity above all to carry on the fight, the Night Elves were betrayed by their fair cousins and left to fight alone.

* Your actions are observed by your neighbors. Every action you take that has some ripple effect on your neighbors is measured. Leave a province unprotected; others may come to covet it. Attack a neighbor: its enemies will like you more; it's friends will like you less. Cast a beneficial spell into a neighbor's Realm, forge a Trade Route, refuse an offer of Alliance, destroy an enemy Capitol, invade without a formal Declaration of War, maintain Peace with a neighbor over time...all these and many more natural actions will also affect your diplomatic standing in the world, and with specific realms with localized interest in your realm.

* Send an Ambassador to smooth relations. Ambassadors project your good intentions, whether or not your intentions are actually good. They are the PR masters and spin doctors of the diplomatic world. Station an Ambassador in another Realm, and that realm will be less affronted by your bad behavior, and more inclined to overtures of goodwill. They may help maintain a tense peace. They may pave the way to Alliance. Some Realms are more diplomatically-savvy than others, and this is represented in the game by having more Ambassadors to send into the world.

* Treaties: On a more official level, Trade Routes may be forged. One realm might trade Horses for Gems or Fish. Each Resource benefits a realm in a different way. But, because Trade Routes are mutually beneficial to both realms, they also serve as powerful deterrents to war. Alliances can be formed. These may function as simple non-aggression treaties or may take more powerful form as a War Bloc against a common foe.

* Wars of Annihilation come at a price. A Realm may be destroyed by annexing its Capitol province; however doing so is considered by most Civilized realms as a grievous diplomatic offense. Others may begin to view you as a usurper, a madman to be stopped. World opinion may shift away from you, and you may one day face a world with too many enemies. Diplomatically speaking, it can be better to reduce a rival to ineffectualness, than to destroy it utterly.

Incidentally, I mentioned Sirucil's Blood War against mankind. Sirucil is indeed fighting a war of annihilation against mankind. If you are playing a Human Realm, expect no quarter from Sirucil. None will be given.

Good Hunting!

Breca

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 25
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/9/2013 2:50:46 AM   
TheGrayMouser

The Diplomacy sounds very nice indeed!

(in reply to Breca)
Post #: 26
RE: Campaign Game Screenshots - 9/9/2013 7:41:53 AM   
wodin

WOW..thats sounds superb.

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Sovereignty: Crown of Kings >> Campaign Game Screenshots Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI