Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's the upper limit to scenario size?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> What's the upper limit to scenario size? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/30/2013 8:48:19 PM   
Jim D Burns

Back in the Harpoon days I always lamented the inability of that engine to model a WWIII in Europe scope scenario. The engine simply couldn’t handle tracking hundreds if not thousands of planes/ships/missiles all at once. So the first question that jumps out to me on this title is, will a WWIII scenario be possible, or is this engine limited similar to how harpoon was in how much stuff it can handle at once?

If it is limited, what’s the upper limit/scale of what can be modeled? An entire Korea war conflict with room for China and other Asian nations to get involved or just large fleet sized battles as we saw in Harpoon?

Jim

Post #: 1
RE: What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/30/2013 10:19:43 PM   
Sunburn

Technically, there is no upper limit.

Practically, it depends on a lot of things, two examples being the performance of your PC and how "busy" the scenario is (Are half of the units plotting complex nav paths? Are there a lot of long-range sensors? Lots of jammers? Complex weather? Etc. etc.)

Generally we're very satisfied with the performance so far and we consider it to be much faster & more scalable than any similar game available ATM. As an example, in one of the scens currently under development, under very "busy" circumstances and with more than 1200 units on the map, Command is comfortably running at 1-1min acceleration. This is on a mid-range Core i5 under Win8 x64.

Your mileage may of course vary, but we're very happy with it.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 8/30/2013 10:23:14 PM >

Follow us on Facebook

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2
RE: What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/30/2013 11:20:51 PM   
bradinggs

Wow...nice!

(in reply to Sunburn)
Post #: 3
RE: What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/31/2013 1:42:51 AM   
Jim D Burns

Great news thanks for the quick reply.

I always hated it in Harpoon in the large scenario that had 3 or more NATO carriers in it operating in the eastern med (Can’t recall the name been over 10 years ago now). As soon as missiles started to fly it would crash to desktop due to the overload, so now it looks like that scenario and hopefully other larger ones will finally be a blast to play with this title.

Another quick question, does the AI follow scripted move plots only, or can you assign it a box or area of operation and the AI randomly chooses where to go within that area?

I’m thinking of some of those Atlantic convoy scenarios with lots of Russian subs hunting your ships. Once you figured out the scripted move plots the scenario wasn’t much fun anymore. With random AI choices it would be a different battle every time you played it.

Jim

(in reply to Sunburn)
Post #: 4
RE: What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/31/2013 2:43:24 AM   
BASB

Jim you don't know what slow is, if you haven't played the original Harpoon on an Amiga machine!!!

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 5
RE: What's the upper limit to scenario size? - 8/31/2013 8:36:53 AM   
Sunburn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns
Another quick question, does the AI follow scripted move plots only, or can you assign it a box or area of operation and the AI randomly chooses where to go within that area?

I’m thinking of some of those Atlantic convoy scenarios with lots of Russian subs hunting your ships. Once you figured out the scripted move plots the scenario wasn’t much fun anymore. With random AI choices it would be a different battle every time you played it.

Yes, and in the case of aircraft & subs they also vary their throttle & altitude/depth settings according to what they are supposed to do.

For an example of this, try the scenarios "Tee Up" and "Trapped Under Ice".

Follow us on Facebook

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> What's the upper limit to scenario size? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI