Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SEP question for Dave

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> SEP question for Dave Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SEP question for Dave - 8/29/2013 10:46:42 PM   
phoenix

Dave - if you stop by/have time - what's the effect of designating a SEP as 'ground' as opposed to 'airdrop'? I have a memory of being told that you wouldn't run out of jeeps (through interdiction) if the supplying SEP was 'ground', but so far that doesn't seem true. I see bases that draw from ground SEPs being interdicted and losing jeeps same as with 'air' SEPs. So if that's not the diff, what is? Many thanks. Peter
Post #: 1
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/29/2013 11:46:43 PM   
dazkaz15

As I understand it mate, its only the Jeeps from the ground SEP to the depots, that are drawing from the SEP, that is unlimited, which delivers twice a day at 0600 and 1800 to the depots.

The Jeeps that get interdicted delivering to the Coy's are the ones allocated to the organic Depot, and they won't be replaced just because you have a ground based SEP.

At least that's how I read it.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 2
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 9:38:28 AM   
phoenix

I think you're right. So no quick fix to the issue without an update. Those jeeps are just going to vanish as they try to supply front line troops.....

But that does leave me wondering what the differences are between a ground and air SEP.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 8/30/2013 9:39:00 AM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 3
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 9:55:46 AM   
dazkaz15

In an air SEP the Jeeps from your Depot, that is drawing from the SEP, is also responsible for picking up supplies from the SEP during the resupply routine as designated by the scenario designer.

It won't make much difference here as if you have no Jeeps to supply your troops, you won't be able to pick up fresh supplies from the air drop, but that hardly matters if you can't deliver supplies anyway!

In a ground SEP, the ground SEP trucks will deliver to your drawing depots, during the twice daily, (sometimes only once daily) resupply event at 06:00 and 18:00. There is an unlimited supply of trucks to do this,

I think however that they will only try to get through the once, so if they can't get through, then you get no supply until the next scheduled supply event 12 hours later. (need confirmation on this as not 100% sure).

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 10:22:07 AM   
phoenix

So what happens - in any scenario, not just airborne - if you lose all your bases? No supply? I haven't seen that happen.

Regimental bases - such as those in the 82nd - have only 25 jeeps. Each time you get a 100% interdiction message 4 or 5 are killed. For nearly all these airborne scenarios that are any length this is a killer problem I've now decided. It's easily possible to lose all your trucks in 2 days and to have so few after one day that supply is screwed. I think something needs to be changed there, personally. Note - you don't have an option over how you play the game - you can't change this by tactics. Because - as my experiments confirmed for me - the interdiction happens not on ambushed/compromised supply routes, but right there at the flot as a consequence of the weight of enemy beyond the flot. There's no way you can change that for these scenarios, because that's what the airborne troops are facing. For Nijmegan you can survive, because XXX Corps can get there in 4 to 5 days. For Arnhem I can't see a way to avoid the issue. I think supply jeeps just get killed too easily - they would have been more careful with a limited supply and would have hauled supplies by foot to interdicted units, or not at all.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 8/30/2013 12:21:49 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 5
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 2:31:24 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

So what happens - in any scenario, not just airborne - if you lose all your bases? No supply? I haven't seen that happen.

. . .

Pg. 44/5 of the manual indicates that a unit can draw supply either from a base or a SEP.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 2:44:34 PM   
phoenix

Thanks Jim. But what if you have no trucks left (due to losing your base)? What will you draw the supply with?

Incidentally, it doesn't say that on page 44/5 of my manual. You sure you got the page right? Can't find anything dealing with it.

On page 46 of the scenmaker manual, however, it does say this:

If there are no bases at all for a given side, then no unit on that side will be resupplied. This may be OK for a short one day scenario but for anything longer it is strongly recommended that you provide suitable Bases.

So that answers that. Would really like to know where to find the bit about drawing from SEPs, Jim.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 8/30/2013 3:16:43 PM >

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 7
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 10:43:34 PM   
jimcarravallah

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Thanks Jim. But what if you have no trucks left (due to losing your base)? What will you draw the supply with?

Incidentally, it doesn't say that on page 44/5 of my manual. You sure you got the page right? Can't find anything dealing with it.

On page 46 of the scenmaker manual, however, it does say this:

If there are no bases at all for a given side, then no unit on that side will be resupplied. This may be OK for a short one day scenario but for anything longer it is strongly recommended that you provide suitable Bases.

So that answers that. Would really like to know where to find the bit about drawing from SEPs, Jim.

Under Command and Supply Lines in the Game Manual it says: "Supply lines indicate the last determined status of the supply line between the selected unit back up to its supply source (Base or Supply Entry Point) and in the case of Bases, down to it's drawing units."

What you found in Scenemaker clarifies the game manual information to say a base must be between the selected unit and the supply entry point for the supplies to reach that unit.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 8
RE: SEP question for Dave - 8/30/2013 11:51:45 PM   
phoenix

Cheers Jim. I'm now more convinced than ever that we need some change to the coding to make sure (i) the supply officers are more careful with their precious jeeps, (ii) supply is taken through to front line units by foot

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> SEP question for Dave Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI