Units marching to destination hex at game start

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Disco Duck

Units marching to destination hex at game start

Post by Disco Duck »

I noticed this first with the 1/153rd Infantry Battalion based at Seattle. The future objective is Whittier Alaska. The Destination hex is the same and it tries to march 1748 miles to get there.

Similar is the 11th Calvary at San Diego, It automatically starts marching to Santa Ana, which isn't a big deal.

Anyone noticed any other units auto marching at game start?
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
HansBolter

RE: Units marching to destination hex at game start

Post by HansBolter »

There are quite a few in Manila that start out already marching to Bataan.

The one heading for Whittier is important to head off before he gets too far. Much of that trek is through mountain ranges with no roads.
Hans

Amoral

Post by Amoral »

They'll be tough as nails by the time they get there though. Just drop those crazy mountain bastards on Tokyo and call it a war.
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: Amoral

They'll be tough as nails by the time they get there though. Just drop those crazy mountain bastards on Tokyo and call it a war.

Lol, no kidding.

There is also another unit that "marches" to Ndeni from Pearl or San Fran, I think.

Lunatics.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Few Japanese units north of Saigon march toward Northern Malaya (and they somehow do it due east, instead north-west - at least pre-beta)
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Few Japanese units north of Saigon march toward Northern Malaya (and they somehow do it due east, instead north-west - at least pre-beta)

Longer but faster road route initially pointing them away, perhaps?
wwengr

Re: Units marching to destination hex at game start

Post by wwengr »

Disco Duck wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:26 am I noticed this first with the 1/153rd Infantry Battalion based at Seattle. The future objective is Whittier Alaska. The Destination hex is the same and it tries to march 1748 miles to get there.

Similar is the 11th Calvary at San Diego, It automatically starts marching to Santa Ana, which isn't a big deal.

Anyone noticed any other units auto marching at game start?
I think the "Long March" of the 1/153 Infantry was a little joke on us by the designer who set it up back when. The 153rd Infantry Regiment in World War 2 was mobilized from the Arkansas National Guard and served in Alaska. It arrived at Camp Murray, WA in August of 1941. The 1st & 3rd Battalions were sent right away to Annette Island and Seward, Nome and Yakutat respectively, while the 2nd Battalion was sent to Umnak Island. So the deployment in the campaign game is close to historical, there are no notes in the regimental history regarding overland travel to Alaska. The road to Alaska was not yet in existence. Construction of the ALCAN Highway didn't start until March '42. Most likely the entire regiment deployed via ship.

Since 1/153rd Infantry is restricted (West Coast [R]) the only way to practically get it to Alaska is to airlift it. 137 PP seems a lot to pay just to get it there. On teh other hand, it may be an interesting thing to see if it ever actually completes the march and what, if anything remains.
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
szmike

Post by szmike »

I actually marched it all the way from Prince Rupert, it arrived intact as it could draw supply (if barely) from bases on its way. It took much time though.

I did it to see if it would arrive eventually.

PS. I didn't know you could airlift restricted units if destination was also restricted.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Re: airlift -not just restricted, I think the destination has to have the same HQ.

I airlifted the BF at Bella Coola to Prince Rupert but the observer devices would not load. So I set them to march across the mountains to PR, hoping they would die off from lack of supply. They were at 0 supply most of the time but somehow they made it all the way to PR after months of trekking. Now I don't need the observers to upgrade to radar because there is no longer any threat to PR! I airlifted the BF off the island closest to PR (can't recall the base name) so it could fill out and upgrade at the bigger base, but the observer devices left behind interfered with that. After a while I airlifted the BF back to build the base a bit more.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Lol, only in the WitP-AE forum you can resurrect a thread after 9+ YEARS and draw replies like if the thread started only yesterday :D. For this I love the forum, the forumites and the game.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

LargeSlowTarget wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 pm Lol, only in the WitP-AE forum you can resurrect a thread after 9+ YEARS and draw replies like if the thread started only yesterday :D. For this I love the forum, the forumites and the game.
Resurrection is pretty easy to do. Wait 'til we figure out how to do a rapture! Or did that happen already when Matrix switched to the new Forum software and only the chosen made the cut to the new version?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

szmike wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:09 pm I actually marched it all the way from Prince Rupert, it arrived intact as it could draw supply (if barely) from bases on its way. It took much time though.

I did it to see if it would arrive eventually.

PS. I didn't know you could airlift restricted units if destination was also restricted.
I wondered if it could make it.

I airlifted 1/153 from Prince Rupert to Seward. 1/153 and Seward are both West Coast restricted so can do the airlift. Restricted units can only be airlifted to bases with the same HQ.
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
szmike

Post by szmike »

LargeSlowTarget wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 pm Lol, only in the WitP-AE forum you can resurrect a thread after 9+ YEARS and draw replies like if the thread started only yesterday :D. For this I love the forum, the forumites and the game.
I never look at the thread date, but the bit about "Long March" is pretty interesting, never heard of it

Return to “The War Room”