Recon of Ships Disbanded in a Size 0 Port

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

apbarog

Recon of Ships Disbanded in a Size 0 Port

Post by apbarog »

Repeated recon attempts of a base with a size 0 port and a ship disbanded in the port has failed to show that ship, or any detection level, for that matter. There have been over a dozen attempts to recon the base, using pilots with over 60 recon skill. I know that this is a limited sample size, but I'm wondering if there is an issue with a size 0 port.

Background: I put an AVP at Groot Natoena, east of Singapore, to support a few Dutch search planes. I'm happily searching away spotting everything in the area for over a month, an my opponent can't figure out how I'm doing it. As I stated, he's been very active doing recon of all the dot bases in the area, but he sees nothing. I suspect something may be not working correctly. I'm hoping that others can confirm or deny this. Thanks.
Quixote

RE: Recon of Ships Disbanded in a Size 0 Port

Post by Quixote »

I just tested this (in beta), albeit only for a dozen turns, and I'm getting the same results you and your opponent got. I put one AVP at Groot, then set 12 different air groups to recon the hex (six dedicated recon units, 2 float plane squadrons, and 4 carrier-based bomber squadrons.) Nothing at all detected for several turns. I then sent in a DD just to provide some extra "on the spot" detection, and still the AVP wasn't seen. I then tried a combination of 70 or so planes on short range naval search (3 hex range) plus the recon efforts, and still nothing.

I know Michael M. has been really busy recently (and sick too, poor guy), so it may not get fixed right away, but I'd still post this in tech support with the hope that he may be able to look at it sometime in the future.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

sounds to me like WAD, an AVP is tiny. and groot is big,

why does the ship escaping from Singers disguised as an island come to mind.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: rms1pa

sounds to me like WAD, an AVP is tiny. and groot is big,

why does the ship escaping from Singers disguised as an island come to mind.

rms/pa

I agree that one AVP should be pretty hard to spot. It should not, however, be guaranteed invisibility. 150 planes on dedicated recon for 10 days should probably pick it up.

The reason I believe it's a bug and not WAD is that you can put multiple ships into a level 0 port and they will still never get spotted. Just for fun, I parked a CL, 5 DDs, and two pretty large AMCs in Groot to see if it was ship size or port size that was causing the problem. Using the same 150 planes on recon for a few turns, the second round of ships never got spotted either. In short, it's not a problem just because a single ship isn't getting spotted, it's a problem because this particular port size seems to provide blanket invisibility. Probably still worth moving to Tech Support.

Attachments
Groot.jpg
Groot.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 96 times
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Isn't this what the Japanese did to recon Pearl Harbor before the December 7, 1941 attack?
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Does something shows up when you hover over place, where anchor icon is supposed to be? This sometimes happen with single LCU - no icon, but unit will be reported, when you hover over it.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

I've always viewed disbanded in level 0 port as hidden on the coast line or an inlet. Pretty hard to find unless you stumble right on top of it, even if you are looking. Think about Tirpitz and other naval hidings in Norway. level 0 ports are quite effective stages for ambushes. Ships can and will be spotted, but the fact that you cant plot to a known anchorage and must scour the whole coastline and inlet bays be considered.

In any event, I never have thought it was out of balance.
Andy M
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Does something shows up when you hover over place, where anchor icon is supposed to be? This sometimes happen with single LCU - no icon, but unit will be reported, when you hover over it.

No - it's not a visual bug, they are in fact undetectable.
I've always viewed disbanded in level 0 port as hidden on the coast line or an inlet. Pretty hard to find unless you stumble right on top of it, even if you are looking. Think about Tirpitz and other naval hidings in Norway. level 0 ports are quite effective stages for ambushes. Ships can and will be spotted, but the fact that you cant plot to a known anchorage and must scour the whole coastline and inlet bays be considered.

In any event, I never have thought it was out of balance.

It would never look out of balance the way most people play the game.

I agree that being able to hide one or two ships in fjords, coves, etc. is realistic. Being able to hide the entire US 6th fleet at a flyspeck Port Level 0 atoll in the Pacific because it's "disbanded" is another matter, though, and this is what the code seems to let you get away with at the moment.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Nope, I don't believe it's working as designed. In my previous PBEM my opponent disbanded three damaged CVE's in a level 0 port at Lunga. I was able to damage them from naval bombardments and air attack because I knew they were there. At no time did air recon/search indicate ships at port and no anchor symbol ever appeared on the map, nor did hovering the mouse over the hex reveal anything. Only by attacking the hex and scoring hits was there any indication of ships disbanded at port. I would think three CVE's should be pretty easy to spot by air search, especially damaged and smoking ones.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

One of you guys who has a sample should post it for Michael. [:)]
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

One of you guys who has a sample should post it for Michael. [:)]

Alright, you guilted me into it. It obviously doesn't work like it should, but Michael has also obviously been working more than he should be recently, too. I hate to add to his after-work load, but I'll go ahead and put this in tech support with a save in a minute.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I hear you, but he prioritizes the big ones versus the small.

Return to “The War Room”