Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/22/2013 6:35:04 PM   
Treetop64

Is it possible to save the fist day of campaign save to a scenario? As in selecting non-historical first turn and setting up all the units on the board before starting the first turn of a scenario, then applying all the changes to a scenario itself?

Just wondering because it literally takes me weeks to set up a non-historical first turn, and that gets old after doing it a couple of times.

Grassy ass.

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"
Post #: 1
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/22/2013 9:10:53 PM   
HansBolter

Why not simply save it to a dedicated slot you don't use again and never save over.

Then when you want to start your custom "first turn orders done" scenario simply load that save and start a new game from it each time.

Hans

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 2
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/22/2013 10:31:23 PM   
Walloc

I understand the the reason to do so. First turns are a dread. Problem is in the RNG seeding. Im pretty sure u get the same result of such a turn each time. Assuming lets say u do a PH attack and the Allied side isnt allowed to move the ships out, nothing is changed and results stay the same for that part of the turn. Ppl might be inclined to "favor" a paticular save with a favoreble result.... As u in effect know the result before hand.

I certainly would check with any opponent before doing such. I'd tend to think ppl wouldnt agree knowning this.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/22/2013 10:35:40 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/22/2013 11:40:27 PM   
Lokasenna

Yep, that's true. You'd have the same first turn results every time, and the bigger problem...

You'd have the same AI scripts.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 4
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/22/2013 11:54:42 PM   
Quixote

As long as you allow the Allied player some freedom of movement on the first turn, you will not get the same results every time from a pre-save. I've tested this a couple of times in PBEM, and always got different combats and combat results depending on what I did with the Allied TFs at sea on December 7th. The one thing I did see consistent Japanese results on were the mini-subs at Pearl. They would hit (or miss) the same BBs in exactly the same way every time. After that, things went random fairly quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about using a pre-save unless you miraculously have a start where your mini-subs get multiple hits.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/23/2013 12:28:40 AM   
Treetop64

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Why not simply save it to a dedicated slot you don't use again and never save over.

Then when you want to start your custom "first turn orders done" scenario simply load that save and start a new game from it each time.

I already have dedicated first-day save slots. However, as mentioned by others, when starting from a day-one save slot and playing against the AI, it uses the same strategic scripts. The AI picks different strategic scripts every time a brand new scenario is started, but this does not occur when starting from a first day save slot.

I wanted to know if there is a way to actually save the pre-turn 1st day orders to the campaign file itself, not as a dedicated save slot after the campaign is selected. That way, a ton of time can be saved, many of the routine orders would already be applied, and first-turn random strategic AI scripts will apply.

Thanks.

EDIT: ...or, is it possible to save a fist-day save slot as a campaign that can be selected from the campaign selection menu? Would random AI scripts still apply, or would they be locked to that particular campaign? Hmmm...

< Message edited by Treetop64 -- 8/23/2013 12:34:16 AM >

"Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it"

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? - 8/23/2013 10:17:25 AM   
Banzan

The scripts are chosen when the scenario starts, nothing will change it later.

The only way i could think of would be modifying a scenarion. For example, mod scen2 and save it as scen50, then copy all scen 2 AI files and rename them from *002 to *050.

The Editior is very good and it can be done quite easy, but i think not everything can be modded and all changes would be active in the first turn already. This could create some imbalance. As an example, TFs fleeing from Manila would move before the air strikes would happen (not sure when the mines would be layed/activated).

< Message edited by Banzan -- 8/23/2013 10:28:37 AM >

(in reply to Treetop64)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Saving first day, pre-turn game save to a scenario? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI