Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 2:17:00 AM   
Icemania

A good interview here with Erik from Adam over at Spacesector. He's left us hanging for Part 2 though!

Space Sector Distant Worlds Interview Part 1

Post #: 1
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 11:03:06 AM   
Webbco

Excellent interview with some cool questions! Thanks Adam....now looking forward to part 2!

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 2
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 5:38:07 PM   
Fishers of Men

Agreed Webbco, a very revealing interview. I was impressed with Erik being very humble and transparent, admitting mistakes in breaking the economy right before the release. But, over the development of each expansion, the economy has been greatly improved.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 3
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 7:51:15 PM   
Cauldyth

Can't wait for the second part... the future!

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 4
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 8:12:58 PM   
ASHBERY76

I think the first game being a crash fest and actually unplayable in later game due to UE faults was a bigger issue than the economy,but whatever.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 5
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 8:37:43 PM   
Anthropoid

So far, having bought the game right after initial release, and comparing to where the final (or penultimate) version (Shadows + Legends) is now, I would have to say this is:

1. The best space game I've ever played (yes, better than EVE, Sins, Swords, KSP, Alpha Centauri, etc.)
2. By far the best 4x space game every conceived
3. A damn good (top 3 or 4) strategy game
4. Excellent UI, amazing game balance, fantastic replayability, good art (one of the few things that is slightly behind the curve), very good music, nearly perfect writing (documentation is still a tad bit lacking)

It took awhile but I'd say it was well worth the wait and the price tag!

I do hope that Code Force and Matrix have met with good fiscal reward as well as fulfillment from making this epic piece of art/science. I also hope that this is just the beginning of many years of games from Code Force + Matrix as Distant Worlds is astoundingly good.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 6
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/17/2013 9:51:46 PM   
BTJ

I can just chime in! One of the best games I know.

Also, great interview, Adam!

Every song's been sung before
Every note's been played
Every chord's been strung before
... and every melody's been made

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 7
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 1:02:04 PM   
Icemania

Space Sector Distant Worlds Interview Part 2

(in reply to BTJ)
Post #: 8
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 2:02:54 PM   
Icemania

A really interesting interview with a lot to like in particular the desire to continue to improve the game and move towards Distant Worlds 2.

I keep coming back to the answer to the very first question "what current aspects of Distant Worlds do you think should be improved further?". The answers focus essentially on making the game more complex. Well, the game is already complex. To achieve the desire of taking this game to the next level, it does not need more complexity, instead consider the existing features and improve them. There is no shortage of good ideas around this forum and plenty in posts that have been around for a long, long time. Specifically there was no mention of AI improvements. Or making the game more accessible for new players by vastly improving the Galactopedia and video tutorials.

While I applaud a methodical and well informed approach to decision making, given how long the game has been around the pace of decision making for Distant Worlds 2 seems positively glacial i.e. there might be 2 more expansions now. And I work in an Industry renowned for slow decision making ...

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/23/2013 2:27:11 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 9
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 2:29:20 PM   
hewwo

yeah I agree that they could focus more on making existing features work better. For instance, the character system could be a lot more engaging or at least polished (e.g. more portraits) without increasing in complexity. And I think the whole ship construction could do with a bit less complexity but more important choices between classes. But that they want to look at diplomacy is a very good thing! Right now I hardly ever bother with it.

Anyway, looking forward a lot to the future of this game :)

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 10
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 4:16:29 PM   
Fishers of Men

I also, am glad to see diplomacy on the list for major improvement.

Old............but very fast

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 11
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 4:58:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

I also, am glad to see diplomacy on the list for major improvement.

+1

This is the one area of the game I feel is still not up to par with the rest of the game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Fishers of Men)
Post #: 12
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 5:17:53 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

Good article(s), and I continue to recommend this game to others and refer to it as my consistent "go to" game for space strategy 4x long term games. All of the recent contenders in this category just have not come close to knocking DW off its pedestal.

As to the future of DW1, I also agree that adding to the complexity should not be a priority. Everyone will obviously have their own opinions, but in order to further add to the longevity of this game/game engine, the next suggested expansion (modding) is absolutely necessary. I don't mean just exposing a few additional areas here or there, but a comprehensive top-down approach that (1) exposes everything at the level of detail that Space Empires IV/V did, and (2) [even more importantly] is done in such a fashion that enables and promotes the use of multiple mods (rather than one) by utilizing a front end modding utility which tracks the various modded/default files and warns of conflicts (e.g. similar to the Nexus front end and others). The current hodge/podge approach of forcing the user to use a theme, plus override default files outside of the theme results in a long-term mess when spread over multiple game patches, multiple mod updates and the use of more than one mod.

< Message edited by Tampa_Gamer -- 8/23/2013 5:18:44 PM >

FWIW, link to post with master list of all my DW mods: Link

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 7:13:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
I keep coming back to the answer to the very first question "what current aspects of Distant Worlds do you think should be improved further?". The answers focus essentially on making the game more complex. Well, the game is already complex. To achieve the desire of taking this game to the next level, it does not need more complexity, instead consider the existing features and improve them. There is no shortage of good ideas around this forum and plenty in posts that have been around for a long, long time. Specifically there was no mention of AI improvements. Or making the game more accessible for new players by vastly improving the Galactopedia and video tutorials.

That was really in response to what else we could do in Distant Worlds 1. With every single expansion, we've improved the AI and interface. For Distant Worlds 2, I agree completely that we need to streamline and make things accessible while keeping it Distant Worlds.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 14
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/23/2013 7:19:30 PM   
nim8or

This game could seriously benefit from some Empire of the Fading Suns character.

The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men.
- PLATO

(in reply to Tampa_Gamer)
Post #: 15
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/24/2013 3:04:49 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

That was really in response to what else we could do in Distant Worlds 1. With every single expansion, we've improved the AI and interface. For Distant Worlds 2, I agree completely that we need to streamline and make things accessible while keeping it Distant Worlds.

Regards,

- Erik

I applaud you for wanting to continue to improve this game and for past improvements.

Our context is actually identical. I understood your comment was about Distant Worlds 1 and I'm suggesting Distant Worlds 1 does not need to be made more complex. You've got a great set of features already and for many of them there are plenty of suggestions around the forum to improve them (of course I understand some will not be possible due to structural limits in Distant Worlds 1 but I expect there is plenty you could do).

As an example, I would argue that a far smarter and more efficient private sector is a far higher priority than making the private sector more complex (as was suggested as an option in the interview).

I completely agree to look more at diplomacy. But I would focus on improving the existing mechanisms first.

Technology selling can be used as an exploit to the point where you often don't need to tax. The Research Bases in enemy territory exploit. How about some of the ideas in the recent thread about improving game balance? etc.

There might be a temptation to say we've worked on a particular feature a lot so it isn't a priority. I understand a lot of work has been put into the AI but it could still use a lot of work along with game balance.

Maybe as some other developers have done, put some potential improvement focus areas on the forum, and get a vote/debate going? Or ask a trusted third-party to give you a confidential cold eyes view of improvement plans.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/24/2013 5:23:06 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/25/2013 4:27:40 AM   
Cauldyth

Another vote for diplomacy! In fact, how about a Diplomacy expansion after the modding one?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 17
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/26/2013 11:35:51 PM   
letmein

Just need to vent somewhere - the interview with Erik, Adam Solo's review, and the bulk buy special, were the final clinchers for me to part with my moderately large amount of cash. Just finished downloading and updating and yes I am excited

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 18
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 8/27/2013 12:20:56 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: letmein

Just need to vent somewhere - the interview with Erik, Adam Solo's review, and the bulk buy special, were the final clinchers for me to part with my moderately large amount of cash. Just finished downloading and updating and yes I am excited

Welcome to the dark side. You'll be conquering galaxies before you know it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to letmein)
Post #: 19
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 9/11/2013 2:13:25 PM   
Icemania

Well Erik and Elliott have been quiet recently.

There can be only one explanation.

A Distant Worlds 2 announcement must be on the way ...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview - 10/15/2013 10:54:25 AM   
Buio

As for Distant Worlds 2

I hope it will keep the complex nature. Streamline is fine, as long as it doesn't remove features. The complexity is one of the things that make this game immersive and great fun.

Graphics are fine in 2D even for a DW2. What I'd like is a bit more budget on graphics. Why not let the team that works on Panzer Corps and probably Warhammer 40K Armageddon do the graphics for DW2? I like the graphics in those two games (even if W40KA are just previews so far). That said, I still like a lot of standard graphics in DW.

Engine needs improvements. I still have late mid to late game performance problems, 3 expansions and a number of patches in.

DW2 needs to take some fine bits from the expansions and add it to the core game. I think it would be hard to go back to a basic DW2 now that we had so much good things added in the expansions. I understand not everything can be added because it would be to much for core game, and something has to be available for DW2 expansion too.

Add other ways to win. Most of the game is about expanding and war. Not easy though. Perhaps borrow ideas from other 4X games.

< Message edited by Buio -- 10/15/2013 11:02:51 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> SpaceSector Distant Worlds Interview Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI