Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sandboxing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Sandboxing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 11:30:07 AM   
Roger Neilson 3

I understand the concept, but I'd really appreciate a simple walk through of how to do this with AE......

Roger

Post #: 1
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 11:35:30 AM   
Terminus

What I do is select two bases close to one another (one for each side), and then make a new scenario containing just those two bases. Remove all other bases, land units, air units and ships, and then add what ever stuff you want to sandbox back in. Minimize the map size so only your two bases are available on the map, and you're good to go.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Roger Neilson 3)
Post #: 2
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 11:36:43 AM   
JocMeister

It takes a bit of fiddling with the editor. It might look overwhelming at first but its actually pretty easy once you understand how its organized. Basically I have just cut a section of the map with a little bit of everything. I chose Burma as it has just that. That is done in the editor.

Then its just a matter of adding stuff to it. Its a little bit fiddly at first. But it makes it really easy to test stuff and with the small map and small amounts of stuff it takes only a second to process the turn.

So when trying air intercepts for example I just added two bases to the map with the air groups I needed. Set the game to Head to Head and gave the orders to the involved units.

Post #: 3
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 11:48:05 AM   
obvert

I don't do a traditional sandbox. I like using the units from game as it seems more likely to produce results consistent with gameplay, and I have a test game to use that's now in 1/44. That includes much of what I would need in terms of units, etc.

This can also though take few few turns to get stuff where you want it. I usually just runs few at 4 day turns if that is the case.

It is attached in the thread on air transport intercept if you want to use it.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 4
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:04:43 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I don't do a traditional sandbox. I like using the units from game as it seems more likely to produce results consistent with gameplay, and I have a test game to use that's now in 1/44. That includes much of what I would need in terms of units, etc.

This can also though take few few turns to get stuff where you want it. I usually just runs few at 4 day turns if that is the case.

So the best thing to do would be to set up another AE folder then use the file from above?

That would start me off?

Roger

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 5
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:13:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

So the best thing to do would be to set up another AE folder then use the file from above?

That would start me off?

Roger

If you want to use this file yes, you'd have to download and load up a version of 1123k, then use this game. It's basically a continuation of one of my first games as Japan against the AI, and of course a lot of early Allied ships are missing. There is enough of everything, and the Japanese economy is till going, surprisingly, after almost no tinkering in the past year.

On the Allied side I only occasionally have moved stuff around, so a lot of things are sitting on the West Coast. There is a nice fleet at Pearl though for tests, and a Japanese one not too far off. I was doing CV clashes for a while, and also atoll landings for both sides. There are some big bases for both sides to use in India and Burma to test any number of CAP/strike settings and so forth. It just may take a few days of turns to get what you want in place each time you do something. For me it's easier than opening the editor but I also just like the feel of doing things in areas where they would actually happening game.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 6
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:24:16 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

Ok thx, will give it a go.

Roger

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:38:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

Ok thx, will give it a go.

Roger

I have been looking for my download of 1123k. Can't find it.

The last one I have using the official patch was in March 43, and that's not as fun as there are no US CVs around!

Post #: 8
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:39:36 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

I'm on the latest beta

Roger

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 9
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:48:22 PM   
obvert

quote:

I'm on the latest beta

Roger

So you might be able to just run that game and convert it to the latest. Great!

Post #: 10
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 12:51:44 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

Should work fine

Roger

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: Sandboxing - 8/15/2013 6:14:51 PM   
Symon

Hi Roger,

Drop in to the Scen Design sub-forum and say hi. We live and breathe sandboxes. I dare say we have 20-30 prepackaged sandboxes for almost everything. They work with any 'beta' you want. Just give a hint on what you are trying to do, and somebody will either have a packaged sandbox scenario for you, or can walk you through modifying one of theirs into what you want. That's kinda what we do for fun. JWE

< Message edited by Symon -- 8/15/2013 6:15:11 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay

Post #: 12
RE: Sandboxing - 8/16/2013 3:32:17 PM   
Roger Neilson 3

Will do just that next time I have a spare five minutes..... grrrr.

Roger

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Sandboxing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI