Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 12:11:59 AM   
ernieschwitz

Ok, before going into any details, I am going to mention the fact that I have been involved in the last few months in two games of GD 1938. I have been playing Germany and Italy in one of them, and anyone following the AAR will know this. However I have also been playing a second game as The Soviet Union.

In each of them I went in with the following goal. Could the easiest victory condition (as I saw it) be achieved, by simply rushing the objectives, and declaring war as fast as possible.

Well: the results are in. I couldn´t.

In the first case, the German one, I came close. And I might still achieve it, but I don´t think so. The situation in the Soviet Union, is a stalemate, despite my best attempts to encircle, and push my way forward. So Thwarted by the soviets.

In the second case, the Italians, have almost achieved a victory too. But two pieces of the puzzle are missing. One is the all important island of Malta, which must be taken in all the victory conditions Italy gets to choose from. The second piece shall remain secret, just in case Malta falls, but this is unlikely, as there are now many spitfires there, and the British fleet has concentrated in the waters around it. I might gamble with a seaborne invasion, as the garrison there is weak, but, it won´t continue to be, i bet. So thwarted by the British.

In the third case, the Soviet one, the objective was simple. Get Rumania, Bulgaria, Turkey and Persia, while keeping the Soviet Union intact. Almost achieved, without firing a shot. There was a short war to begin with where I took half the Rumanian territory, from Germany, and then came to peace with them. Bulgaria and Turkey soon fell to diplomacy, and Persia was on the way to becoming Soviet too. But I had a discussion with the British player, and he flat out refused to let me occupy Persia without declaring war on me. I thought oh well, I will see if I can get the Germans to cede the rest of Rumania for continued peace, and he nearly did... but somewhere along the way, the British discovered what I was up to, and the peace talks I had with them, after taking half of Poland, with Germany, failed completely, and came to all out war. In my haste to get the half of Rumania I needed and to get Persia as well, I had to declare war on Germany (and Italy too). So I found myself in a war against 4 great powers... All wasn´t lost until I discovered that Britain had become a closer friend to Persia than the Soviet Union. Desperately I tried to get control of Persia, but, it soon became apparant that the Persians had other ideas, as they sided with the British. So Thwarted by the British yet again.

I guess this sort of proves you cannot bullrush your way to victory in GD 1938... although I would hardly call 26 turns or more a fast victory.

Both games are still in progress.
Post #: 1
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 1:12:36 AM   
Twotribes

Are they? Where is the AAR? LOL.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 2
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 1:14:37 AM   
ernieschwitz

Well hi there twotribes.

The first game has an AAR, although it is gone a bit stale as of late, but i plan on updating my progress with the next turn. As for the other game, there exists no AAR, but its a fun game nevertheless.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 2:13:43 AM   
Twotribes

You should try ETO. I think the Soviets need help but it is a good game too.

Post #: 4
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 10:57:17 AM   
Josh

Twotribes is right, they sound like extraordinairy AAR's to me, especially the third one, would have loved to read that one... stab and backstabbing all over the place resulting in an all out war.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 6:48:56 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

You should try ETO. I think the Soviets need help but it is a good game too.

Think Ernieschwitz had played ETO already, as a real ATG veteran.
I agree, ETO is one of the best scenarios!

However, GD 1938 is a great one too. An as you want an AAR, look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3383672

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 6
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/12/2013 8:29:13 PM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

Think Ernieschwitz had played ETO already, as a real ATG veteran.

Actually I have only ever played it against myself, but I have followed the developement and games played with it with interest. Last time I checked though there was this "bug" that if Germany was agressive and attacked the Maginot from the start of the game, where warfooting was low, then they could easily breach it.

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 7
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/17/2013 4:35:53 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I am playing the Anglo French in the first and second cases of Ernies above mentioned games. I think I have outlined what my own perceptions are, the French have virtually no chance at anything resembling victory because they are forced into war with Germany from the start. The only hope for the French is to avoid war with Germany, otherwise forget it, they get steam rolled.

The English have a much better overall position, unfortunately, for this game I had my VC's decided for me at random since I didn't choose mine on turn 1. As luck would have it, the random choice so far has worked out. I still hold some hope for victory as the British.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

Post #: 8
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 8/18/2013 9:34:09 PM   
RufusTFirefly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I think I have outlined what my own perceptions are, the French have virtually no chance at anything resembling victory because they are forced into war with Germany from the start. The only hope for the French is to avoid war with Germany, otherwise forget it, they get steam rolled.

Completely agree with the first part of your statement. Due to war against Germany, that is more powerful than France, it is forced into a defensive position with hardly any chance to gain more than keeping its territory together.

But France will not necessarily be steamrolled. The screenshot shows the situation at end of May 39. Meanwhile we are at late Dec 39. In France nothing has changed. In Portugal the Brits managed to take Porto and Lisbon and control Portugal completely now. Greece has joined France. France had already launched an offensive there.

German and Italy have strong forces at the front, but France too. France controls the skies over its territory. Supply can be send oversea as British navy controls the Atlantic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 8/18/2013 9:35:49 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 - 9/12/2013 1:07:13 AM   
lion_of_judah

the situation with Germany/Italy ( I've taken over for Ernie) for the time being has stabilized on the eastern front. and Italy has taken the offensive in Spain and closing in on the Spanish capital. things are looking good for the time being on the soviet front so i'm happy about that.

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Thrice Thwarted - GD 1938 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI