Retrofit Vs Upgrade & Multiple active version of a Sub Role

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

MedievalNerd

Retrofit Vs Upgrade & Multiple active version of a Sub Role

Post by MedievalNerd »

Howdy all,

I'm curious as to what is exactly the difference between setting a ship to auto-retrofit vs auto-upgrade?

Also, is it possible to have more than 1 active design of the same subrole? I was planning on having 2 types of Mining Stations. One that is just the basics to use in systems I've colonized which is defended by military ships, but also a much larger version with weapons and shields for remote locations.

Problem is, although I made a new design from scratch, in the design screen it still only wants to list the 'latest design' of the subrole. It dosen't seem to care that I haven't set the other subrole as obsolete. And next thing I know, all of my gas stations now were trying to upgrade to this larger model.

I'm new to the series, so i'm thinking I might be misunderstanding some concept here.

Cheers!

Canute0

RE: Retrofit Vs Upgrade & Multiple active version of a Sub Role

Post by Canute0 »

auto-retrofit vs auto-upgrade
Auto-upgrade are for the designs, the AI will handle this after you made a research breakthrougt.
Auto-retrofit are for the allready builded ships/bases. Special at the private sector it can cause some construtions stalls when hundert of ships comes to retrofit and you don't got the nessesary resources.

Also, is it possible to have more than 1 active design of the same subrole?

Yes, so long you don't mark a design as obsolent, you still can build it.
But you need to use the pulldown menu to build these extra designs. And the AI only would use the latest design to build.
The best way are use the buttom "Copy as new" then you can modify an existent design. And you should select at the design overview "show all non-obsolent" so you see all the buildable designs.
Shark7

RE: Retrofit Vs Upgrade & Multiple active version of a Sub Role

Post by Shark7 »

Also, if you keep multiple designs of a ship sub-role, you will have to retrofit the ships manually, and not through the fleet management screen. The AI will always retrofit to the design you made last, even if it is inferior to a previous design.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”