Mktours(Ger)VsMarquo(Sov)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

mktours

Mktours(Ger)VsMarquo(Sov)

Post by mktours »

My PBEM game with Marquo has well developed and the two sides are well matched (the GHC has some big early success and also made some big mistakes; the SHC suffer some big early lose but has steadied the situation), so I think it might be the right time now to start an AAR for recording the campaign. It is going to be a long game.
Marquo has recommended that we do the VC260 version, but I would like to try the full campaign, so we made an agreement that we start with the full campaign but Marquo would have the right to alter the terms once after 1941.
The rules are as follows:
41-45 full campaign game (normal setting, full FOW. 1.0708version )
No Para drops to break pockets at anytime in the game. No Para missions at all by the Soviets until the first Blizzard.
No bombing of HQ's unless stacked with a ground unit
Only 3 air attacks on city/ports per city per turn.
No-random weather
mktours

RE: Mktours(Ger)VsMarquo(Sov)41CG

Post by mktours »

T1north
Pretty historical opening: 41pz took Riga, 56Pz took Daugavpils. I took Totenkopf SS away from 4PzG and railed it towards Romania (would reach in T2).

Attachments
T1north.jpg
T1north.jpg (735.05 KiB) Viewed 809 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

T1center
I only used 1 mot and 1 panzer divs from 2PzG to help 3PzG forming the Minsk Pocket, all the rest of 2 PzG was sent to south, with 1 Panzer div on the rail towards Romania (would reach in T2).

Attachments
T1center.jpg
T1center.jpg (846.7 KiB) Viewed 808 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

T1south
In the south, I didn’t do the Lvov opening. In my opinion, Lvov opening is indeed not a good opening for GHC as it releases The South Front one turn earlier than 11Th Army, and left so many good soviet troops east of the pocket out.
There were several goals to achieve in my south opening: 1) attack the Kovel soviet army and herd them into a tight pocket; 2)pocket or pin the strong soviet army in the vicinity of Shepetovka; 3)cut the rail line in Proskurov; 4)maximize the 1MP attack bonus in T1 on the unready soviet troops, use all the 17th army and 6th army to attack, do a pincer attack to cut off the Lvov area, then rout the isolated troops out; 5) use two powerful panzer divs to beat the tank and motorize divs in the vicinity of Tarnopol all the way out and clear the zone for the quick advance of infantry in T2.
I have played this south opening in all my 3 PBEM games as GHC and these goals were all approximately achieved, in this game I messed up some sequence of attack and had to take provisional measures to compensate, so it was not as good as the other two games, but it was still a good opening.
The two on the train divisions could be spotted in this picture as well. They were going to Romania but would only attack in T3 with the unfrozen 11th army.

Attachments
T1south.jpg
T1south.jpg (817.29 KiB) Viewed 809 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

I would keep this AAR update with the progress of our game at appropriate time.
Any comments are welcomed.
Toidi

Post by Toidi »

As you wanted comments... here you have some...

1. Middle pocket will be trivially opened (by sec division south of Minsk). That at best slows you down a turn. Also it may allow (not sure whether there will be within range) for evac of all support units attached to army HQ in that pocket (+ planes).

2. South - the downside of not making a pocket around Lviv is that again all the support units attached to HQ will be removed by a decent player. Also, the airplanes can be evacuated without penalties for broken airframes. Also, there is a slight possibility that Marquo will cut some divisions around Rovno/ Klevan area - not very likely, but if it happens, it is bad for you... Even worse (but very unlikely) would be a cut via the hex east of Lutsk. Still, for any of those Marquo would need to be lucky with the reckon and the mp/morale of one of the unit west of Ostrog - as such not very likely. But the tank divisions in the west will be cut (blue tanks likely, red tank certainly). Not sure whether it is worth it...

3. I believe railing units to Romania is wrong for historical accuracy, but from game perspective it is a good idea (hope it will be disallowed next patch). The way you did it is not a game breaker though

4. Parts of the north pocket may be opened if you are not lucky (Marquo would need one of the routed units west of Daugava unrout and move south-west, and the infantry inside to have enough mp to move inside the territory to the rail line west of Rokiskis. Again, that will lead to a delay. I would say more often than not it will be opened...

5. Units in the north may be evac by the Ventsi... port in the north, they are not cut... Of course, that would require them to unrout and have enough mp to do that, which is unlikely. But the support units from HQ may be removed.

All in all, it much depends on how Marquo will play against the south gambit, but you can certainly improve your north/middle opening. However, after this opening, Marquo has, in my opinion, very decent chances to have good game...

Also, from the armaments perspective, routing hq in the pocket will lead to losing some 20% of the attached support unit troops & equipment; Artillery support unit cost is more or less 1/3 of the infantry division (depending on su, sometime more, sometimes less). So evacuation of 10 su is more or less as good as evacuation of 2-3 infantry divisions. There are some morale loses avoided too, but those are less important nowadays when you get to NM rather quickly... On a bright side, Marquo may not have enough points to move out all the support units...

Good luck,
T.

====
Edit.

Correction - I forgot the screen is from the Axis perspective. As such the hexes in the north and middle will flip so the pocket opening will not be trivial. Actually in such case north will certainly and middle most likely hold... Me bad... As such disregard points 1 & 4. Middle may be opened through Dzerzhinsk if you are unlucky though and Marquo will have enough mp to get to the hex north of Stolbtsy from inside of the pocket and to the marshes NW of sec division with infantry... the inside is tricky as the terrain is tough, but if he gets a lucky roll (or a lucky mp roll on the infantry at the Sec division) it may happen... Not likely in turn 1, but turn 2 would be very possible.

T.

mktours

Post by mktours »

Thank you! Toidi
very good comments! i learn much from it, it is the first time that i learn some of the tips you mentioned: the evac of SU;and the armament issue. please keep giving more tips[:)]
in our game the Minsk big pocket held, i did a sandbox experiment, and my conclusion is that this pocket could not be broken, i have play 3 PBEM games as GHC, and this pocket was held in all the 3 games.
our game is very interesting and challenging for both sides, and would be very noval, so i hope you could come to have a look later and give more comments,[:)]
some of your questions would be answered in my report of T2, we have only finished T5, so it has to wait for some time.
ORIGINAL: Toidi

As you wanted comments... here you have some...

1. Middle pocket will be trivially opened (by sec division south of Minsk). That at best slows you down a turn. Also it may allow (not sure whether there will be within range) for evac of all support units attached to army HQ in that pocket (+ planes).

2. South - the downside of not making a pocket around Lviv is that again all the support units attached to HQ will be removed by a decent player. Also, the airplanes can be evacuated without penalties for broken airframes. Also, there is a slight possibility that Marquo will cut some divisions around Rovno/ Klevan area - not very likely, but if it happens, it is bad for you... Even worse (but very unlikely) would be a cut via the hex east of Lutsk. Still, for any of those Marquo would need to be lucky with the reckon and the mp/morale of one of the unit west of Ostrog - as such not very likely. But the tank divisions in the west will be cut (blue tanks likely, red tank certainly). Not sure whether it is worth it...

3. I believe railing units to Romania is wrong for historical accuracy, but from game perspective it is a good idea (hope it will be disallowed next patch). The way you did it is not a game breaker though

4. Parts of the north pocket may be opened if you are not lucky (Marquo would need one of the routed units west of Daugava unrout and move south-west, and the infantry inside to have enough mp to move inside the territory to the rail line west of Rokiskis. Again, that will lead to a delay. I would say more often than not it will be opened...

5. Units in the north may be evac by the Ventsi... port in the north, they are not cut... Of course, that would require them to unrout and have enough mp to do that, which is unlikely. But the support units from HQ may be removed.

All in all, it much depends on how Marquo will play against the south gambit, but you can certainly improve your north/middle opening. However, after this opening, Marquo has, in my opinion, very decent chances to have good game...

Also, from the armaments perspective, routing hq in the pocket will lead to losing some 20% of the attached support unit troops & equipment; Artillery support unit cost is more or less 1/3 of the infantry division (depending on su, sometime more, sometimes less). So evacuation of 10 su is more or less as good as evacuation of 2-3 infantry divisions. There are some morale loses avoided too, but those are less important nowadays when you get to NM rather quickly... On a bright side, Marquo may not have enough points to move out all the support units...

Good luck,
T.

====
Edit.

Correction - I forgot the screen is from the Axis perspective. As such the hexes in the north and middle will flip so the pocket opening will not be trivial. Actually in such case north will certainly and middle most likely hold... Me bad... As such disregard points 1 & 4.

T.

Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

On the historical part :

41pz crosed the Dvina between Plavinas and Jekapils and headed for Ostrov ( South of PSKOV ).

loki100

Post by loki100 »

good to see a very different set of openings to the usual 'paint by numbers' maximisation of others.

adding some extra mobility to 11A could create a very dynamic situation in the Ukraine - be interesting to see how that develops
mktours

Post by mktours »

Thanks for the information, but i remembered that 41pz did take Riga, I have not reference on hand, I could be wrong.
ORIGINAL: Gabriel B.

On the historical part :

41pz crosed the Dvina between Plavinas and Jekapils and headed for Ostrov ( South of PSKOV ).

mktours

Post by mktours »

thanks, Loki
i think all the credit should go to Marquo, who have a generous mind to allow me to try some new opening and didn't complain a single word about it. our game is fun and we communicate in a friendly way, it is no easy to find a good player and good opponent like Marquo.
ORIGINAL: loki100

good to see a very different set of openings to the usual 'paint by numbers' maximisation of others.

adding some extra mobility to 11A could create a very dynamic situation in the Ukraine - be interesting to see how that develops
juret

Post by juret »

i wish u good luck andand a fun game. gonna follow this aar. Nice pics and fun reading about your plans. Reminds alot of idahoyr aars who where exellent
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Marquo is a fine player and someone I would have no hesitation in playing again.
mktours

Post by mktours »

thanks, Juret
our game is fun and have some interesting elements, more would be update when the game developed a few more turns, as it is going to be a joint AAR.
ORIGINAL: juret

i wish u good luck andand a fun game. gonna follow this aar. Nice pics and fun reading about your plans. Reminds alot of idahoyr aars who where exellent
mktours

Post by mktours »

I completely agree. I have got nice game experience with Marquo as well, the communication is good and friendly.
ORIGINAL: Michael T

Marquo is a fine player and someone I would have no hesitation in playing again.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

Riga was taken by elements of 18th army ; I and XXVI Armme korps .

But I usually take it, same as you did, becuse the other side is less likly to blow up the bridge and withdraw as the soviets did.

mktours

Post by mktours »

I think you are right, perhaps I mess up my memory or was mislead by some poor source. Thanks.
ORIGINAL: Gabriel B.

Riga was taken by elements of 18th army ; I and XXVI Armme korps .

But I usually take it, same as you did, becuse the other side is less likly to blow up the bridge and withdraw as the soviets did.

mktours

Post by mktours »

T2North, after recon
When I received the T1 from SHC, the first thing I would do is to recon the LUKI city, I have played 3 PBEM so far, and in all the 3 games the city was unguarded. The LUKI city is the pivotal center for my defense when I play the SHC, so I would like to take it as early as possible. In fact, my opening strategy is revolving around this city.
To deprive the garrison of the city, I need to pin as much Sov troops as possible so the SHC would feel short of units when he deploy his defense in the north, that is why I sent 2 PZG to south, I remember I rail 20 divs to the north from SW front when I play SHC, so I don’t want it happen when I play GHC.

Attachments
T2beginN.jpg
T2beginN.jpg (773.01 KiB) Viewed 808 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

To reach the LUkI city, I need 47MP from my spearhead, that is no hard to get in T2, the other thing is to get enough troops to help clearing the way, the third concern is to get powerful troops to back up, my goal is not just to take it, I want to pierce to the east in T3 with mass power. So my T1 deployment was revolving around it.
I am a big fan of Guderian, so literally all the motorize divs would be grouped together, towards LUKI.
In this game, Marquo didn’t guard the area properly, in my other two games, the SHC guard the area with power, but was clear by multy-direction approach by 2 pz group, we can see in the picture that the 3PzG units could pierce into the back of the soviet roadblocks so they can’t retreat in desirable direction.

Attachments
T2towardLuki12.jpg
T2towardLuki12.jpg (528.56 KiB) Viewed 807 times
mktours

Post by mktours »

T2 Minsk Pocket, after recon. the pocket was held

Attachments
t2beginminsk.jpg
t2beginminsk.jpg (843.17 KiB) Viewed 807 times

Return to “After Action Reports”