A Road Less Travelled

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Quixote

A Road Less Travelled

Post by Quixote »

Welcome aboard, all. This is the mirror AAR to Cannonfodder's "The old world vs the new." Cannonfodder has the Allies, I'm playing Japan. For those already following Cannonfodder's AAR, I'll do my best to counter all the propaganda I'm sure he'll be feeding you about how well the Allies are doing, how Singapore will never fall, and on what date in late 1942 he expects to invade Japan. For those only following the Japanese side of things, the specifics of the game are as follows:

Scenario 2, non-historic start, PDU On

There are only a few house rules:
1. CAP/Sweep altitude is limited to the best maneuver band plus one level.
2. No low level 4E naval attacks (under 10K.)
3. No Strategic bombing into or out of China.
4. Full PPs paid for restricted units to cross national borders (no buying out an HQ on the cheap and getting the subordinates free.)

First turn rules:
1. Allies may only move existing TFs.
2. Allies may set CAP to no more than 30% for any and all fighter groups, but no transferring of groups allowed.
3. No deep invasions by Japan on the first turn. Japanese transport/amphib TFs will all finish the first turn no more than 15 hexes from a Japanese base.

The first turn has been run and sent off to Cannonfodder, but since I'm not sure if he's seen it or not, and since he may drop in to this AAR to say hi before it becomes closed to him, I'll hold off on the specifics until he's had the chance to watch the turn for himself.

Looking forward to a long and (hopefully) interesting game. Best of luck to Cannonfodder, and let the games begin!
Richard III

RE: A Road Less Travelled

Post by Richard III »

Subscribed and Banzai !!
“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Good luck Quixote! If your opening moves are setting the standard for our game it will be a very interesting match!

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Good luck! I will follow the allied side on this one and just wanted to drop by!
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

If your opening moves are setting the standard for our game it will be a very interesting match!

Pearl Harbor gets hit in maybe 85% of the AARs I've read. A straight Manila opening is mostly used the other 15%. What I haven't seen much of are games where Japan commits the bulk of the KB to the Singapore area. Every once in a while someone sends one carrier there (usually the Kaga) to take a swipe at Force Z, but I've never seen a real first turn effort here. (At this point, someone is going to chime in with the link to an AAR I've never read before where Japan does exactly this. That's OK. Having now said I've never seen one, I'm almost expecting it.)

I decided on a Singapore opening after sandboxing a few Mersing attacks on the first turn. While it can be done without carrier support, it often gets very messy very quickly if anything goes wrong, or even if you just get unlucky. Placing significant carrier support here lessens the chances of either of those things happening. It also greatly increases (almost guarantees, really) the chances of taking out Force Z, while also situating your carriers in immediate position to help conquer the SRA before the Allies get a chance to allocate their limited reserves (no Fortress Palembang, Fortress Java, Singapore holding out until April, etc.) There are other benefits to this strategy, but combined these were enough to make me want to try it out in PBEM instead of a PH attack - hence the title of the AAR.

But enough opening philosphy for the moment - we're a whole one day!! into the game now. My goals for turn 1 were to sink Force Z, disable or sink most of the Manila subs with LBA from Takao, and to mount all of three invasions on December 7th. I succeeded with Force Z. I succeeded with Manila. Prior to starting the PBEM, I'd sandboxed the important moves of my first turn several times, to the point where I felt comfortable with the likely results. For all three invasions, I knew more or less what to expect, and what the best and worst limits of the results probably were. All were suitably favorable of course, or else I'd have tweaked them. The funny thing about PBEM is how quickly things can go off the rails, though. Exactly one of my well planned invasions went off as planned. In baseball, that would make me a superstar. In PBEM, it means I may need to start working on my improvisation more...

The three invasions were as follows:
1. Kota Bahru. Very predictable, not very sexy. Went off exactly as planned.
2. Wake Island. Semi-predictable, also not very sexy, but smart if you don't plan to have the KB in this area for several weeks. For some reason half the ships in the bombardment TF didn't bombard (or at least they didn't use any ammo), and I easily got worse odds on my attack (2-1) then any I'd seen in my test invasions, which averaged better then 10-1. Bad news, I didn't capture Wake instantly. Good news, at least I got a 2-1 instead of worse. Good news, I didn't lose any ships to either Wildcats or CD guns. Good news, I'll probably take the atoll next turn in a shock attack, anyway. We'll see.
3. Mersing. Not unheard of, but not quite what you'd call predictable. Good news, 1100AV currently ashore, with a bit more still loaded in transports on site. Good news, I didn't lose a single ship to Vildebeests or Swordfish - none of them got through CAP. Bad news, in the first combat action of any kind in the game, Cannonfodder's three Brit DDs from Hong Kong intercepted another whole division plus armor headed to Mersing. After a pitched battle, during which the captain of one of my own transports easily did more damage to my own force than all three of the Brits combined did, my TF retired to Cam Rahn instead of landing at Mersing. This in itself will not stop Mersing from falling. Nor will it stop Johore Bahru or Singapore from falling. It may stop Johore and Singapore from falling as quickly, though. We'll see on this one, too.

Aircraft losses were acceptable (I was honestly hoping with his first turn CAP rule that more of his planes would fly, because I sent in quite a few sweeps) and I didn't lose a single ship either in combat or at Mersing, so all in all things aren't exactly dismal. They're just slightly more interesting than I thought they'd be.[:'(]

Attachments
Singaporeopening.jpg
Singaporeopening.jpg (350.37 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Subscribed and Banzai !!
Thanks Richard. I'll try to keep the Banzais rolling.[:)]
ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Good luck! I will follow the allied side on this one and just wanted to drop by!
Appreciate the good wishes, and I understand Joc. Playing against Overt and SqzMyWenchow (I want to see if he really does have an automatic web search out on this one) has obviously clouded your judgment about who the good guys are, but there's always hope![:'(]
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

As mentioned briefly above, and in an effort to provide some much needed photographic weight to this AAR, I'll end my commentary on the December 7th turn with the following picture of our first naval engagement of the war, as well as the results. Commander Nagamura of the Siraha Maru in particular managed to distinguish himself by pulling off that rarest of naval feats - the hat trick. Not one...not two...but three collisions with friendly ships during the same battle. I haven't decided yet whether to fire him immediately, or to leave him in charge just to see what his final tally on collisions for the war might be.

Attachments
T1 Combat.jpg
T1 Combat.jpg (402.88 KiB) Viewed 340 times
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Quixote;

Do you mean Repulse and PoW were sunk, or did they just disappear?
obvert

Post by obvert »

Very interesting start. I'll be following. Good luck!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Quixote;

I would assume sunk as to his use of the word "whats left of force Z" and that he said it was a goal to sink force Z and he "succeded".

But i could be wrong,

Rasmus
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Quixote

As mentioned briefly above, and in an effort to provide some much needed photographic weight to this AAR, I'll end my commentary on the December 7th turn with the following picture of our first naval engagement of the war, as well as the results. Commander Nagamura of the Siraha Maru in particular managed to distinguish himself by pulling off that rarest of naval feats - the hat trick. Not one...not two...but three collisions with friendly ships during the same battle. I haven't decided yet whether to fire him immediately, or to leave him in charge just to see what his final tally on collisions for the war might be.

With 38 ships in the TF it's not surprising there were some collisions. Admiralty has to take some of the blame for this one, although it looks like Commander Nagamura is taking the fall.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Phanatikk

Post by Phanatikk »

Banzai! And good luck.

I agree with taking out the subs.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: Walloc
ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Quixote;

I would assume sunk as to his use of the word "whats left of force Z" and that he said it was a goal to sink force Z and he "succeded".

But i could be wrong,

Rasmus
Walloc is correct. Even considering FoW, I'm pretty sure they're sunk. Results below.

Attachments
PoWRepulse.jpg
PoWRepulse.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

With 38 ships in the TF it's not surprising there were some collisions. Admiralty has to take some of the blame for this one, although it looks like Commander Nagamura is taking the fall.

With the limited number of magic TFs on the first turn, it's a risk you have to take sometimes. I'm not really surprised by the collisions (I'll take the blame) I just thought it was funny that the same ship was involved in all three.[:'(]
Banzai! And good luck.

I agree with taking out the subs.

Thanks. I'll post the sub losses and damage later tonight when I get home. Didn't sink them all, but most of them will have too much damage to use, including all four of the S boats with decent torpedoes.

desicat

Post by desicat »

Interesting trade off on the first turn strike. Most PH raids sink at least two BB and send five or six others to the yards for many months. Your attack seems to have taken out both Force Z BB's and a few CA/CL's (that were/are on the front lines) - an equivalent strike?

I would think that the Subs damaged/sunk at Manilla is a better result over the aircraft that would have been destroyed at PH.

This strategy seems to be designed to take out Singapore and the DEI at a faster than normal pace - are you happy with the results?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Good luck to you. What you chose to do is more of a sure thing, and POW and Repulse are the best two BB/BCs the Allies have for quite some time. But delaying the time when the Americans can deploy their huge bombardment ships is worth thinking about, even if you don't sink them.

Quixote

Post by Quixote »

ORIGINAL: desicat

Interesting trade off on the first turn strike. Most PH raids sink at least two BB and send five or six others to the yards for many months. Your attack seems to have taken out both Force Z BB's and a few CA/CL's (that were/are on the front lines) - an equivalent strike?

I would think that the Subs damaged/sunk at Manilla is a better result over the aircraft that would have been destroyed at PH.

This strategy seems to be designed to take out Singapore and the DEI at a faster than normal pace - are you happy with the results?

1. I'd call the strike itself equivalent, or even a bit more favorable for me considering the ships that were sunk, and where they start the game. Geoff is right - these are the best two BB types the Allies have in 1942.
2. Agreed - I'll take the subs I sank at Manila over the 50 or so aircraft I might have destroyed at PH any time.
3. Even with my one setback, I'm not unhappy with the result. This early in the game though, the question may be a bit premature. Let's see how it plays out.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

December 8, 1941

Central Pacific - Wake fell to a 13-1 second day attack. Fast transports landed and took Makin, Tarawa, and Tabiteteau.

Solomons/New Guinea - Strong landing at Rabaul. The base should be Japanese next turn.

DEI - SNLF landed at Ternate. CA Houston either tried to interdict the landing, or was just in the wrong place at the wrong time but set to react. Anyway, no mas Houston. (Low/moderate damage to CA Haguro suffered in the surface action.)

Phillipines - Manila port hit once again by a few Betties. Lots of fleeing ships, from Manila and the rest of the archipelago. Given the surface assets committed, and the two fleet carriers assisting, it was an even bigger duck shoot than usual. According to Cannonfodder (and my map), the only non-sub that started in the PI likely to survive is the Boise. Boise did take one torpedo, but did not cause any of her usual early game mayhem.

Malaya - Kota Bahru fell to shock attack. Mersing also fell to a shock attack, with about 150AV worth of IJA tanks pursuing the fleeing Aussies to Johore Bahru. Figure the retreated Aussies to be good for 10AV, and the Allied units starting in Mersing to be good for another 100 or so, and I stand a fair chance of taking Johore with just the advance armor.

Attachments
MersingDec9th.jpg
MersingDec9th.jpg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

For desicat and Richard III, here are the Allied losses after the first two days. Makes for at least an interesting comparison with the usual Pearl Harbor losses if nothing else.

Attachments
ShipsSunkDec9th.jpg
ShipsSunkDec9th.jpg (284.58 KiB) Viewed 341 times
desicat

Post by desicat »

If he is going to contest or attempt to slow your initial expansion he is going to have to import assets since the onsite naval forces that are normally used have basically already been eliminated. If he deems it too dangerous to try and slip forces in due to your carrier and nettie threats your expansion timetable should be well ahead of the norm. If he does try to forces in, opportunity will knock.

Return to “After Action Reports”