Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 6:01:25 AM   
dostillevi

Will mining ships and freighters fill up their holds if I increase their capacity?
Post #: 1
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 6:32:15 AM   
Shark7

Not necessarily. The one thing in the game I have yet to fully understand is the freighter transport system. I think it works on an algorithm that determines how much of resource X a colony needs, then only transports enough to fill that demand, rather than taking a full load (my preference were it possible).

TBH, I have never seen a freighter completely fill its cargo holds, mining ships I've never really tried to track, so I don't know about those.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 2
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 6:47:30 AM   
dostillevi

I figured it might be demand based. I suppose it doesn't really matter if I upgrade their cargo holds since they're civilian ships, but I could use the space for extra speed instead. I would assume that mining facilities will mine until their holds are filled at least..

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 6:50:15 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi

I figured it might be demand based. I suppose it doesn't really matter if I upgrade their cargo holds since they're civilian ships, but I could use the space for extra speed instead. I would assume that mining facilities will mine until their holds are filled at least..

Yes, it is worth putting bigger and more cargo bays on mining stations, they keep going till it fills up. I use a minimum of 20 bays on my mining stations.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 4
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 7:18:02 AM   
mSterian

It would be nice if I could have an overview of mining stations that are filled up. Or get some alerts. So I know to increase my storage.
Are you sure freighter AI isn't set to keep suck things under control. For example order idle freighters to load cargo from full mining stations and deliver them to a colony where you have infinite storage?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 7:50:39 AM   
Icemania

Here is an old thread relevant to freighters: Freighter roles

Hopefully there is someone out there who wants to spend more time looking at the optimal number of cargo bays for freighters ...

(in reply to mSterian)
Post #: 6
RE: mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds - 8/7/2013 1:32:15 PM   
Icemania

Well I'm on annual leave at the moment and considering Elliott's response in the Freighter Design thread I've had a quick look at this.

In my current game all freighters are designed to have more cargo bays than the default. My small freighter has as many cargo bays as a medium, my medium has as many as a large, and large is extra large by a similar proportion. So I've considered a couple of times during old saves of my current game (all around mid-game when I'm doing the majority of expansion and upgrading) what proportion of total freighters are carrying cargo above the default.

Small: 6-12% (i.e. this is the proportion of the time the capacity of a Medium is used)
Medium: 2-8% (i.e. this is the proportion of the time the capacity of a Large is used)
Large: 1-4% (i.e. this is the proportion of the time the capacity of an Extra Large is used)

Keep in mind this is the proportion of the total. Some will be refuelling, getting retrofitted, inactive, or flying to a source of resource.

This needs to be balanced against the extra maintenance cost for the private sector. That said, I never find the private sector short on cash even on Extreme, I've funded these larger Freighters for many games.

So it would appear there is a case for giving a Small Freighter as many cargo bays as a Medium Freighter as a minimum. There might be a case to simply make all Freighter designs essentially a Large Freighter with cargo capacity. However, adding bays to a Large Freighter, as Elliott alludes in the thread linked, seems to have little value.

With mining ships, for those that are active, it frankly looks like all of them are mining beyond the default cargo size ... as others have suggested I also give them a lot of cargo bays.

Since the game is designed so that private ships have a numeric cap ... optimising their designs to move / mine more or faster per ship is valuable if you can afford it ...

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/8/2013 2:39:20 AM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> mining ships, freighters, and cargo holds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI