Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Griefhead

Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome

Post by Griefhead »

This game is being played with standard settings with the house rule of not bombing HQs unless they are stacked. I will post with a three turn delay and hope that I capture the information that is interesting to the WITE community. I have not played a game past about T65 and since this is my final game for a while I have decided to do my first AAR. I’m recovering from a thrashing by Pelton and a lot of discussion about morale settings. I’m glad to be playing a standard setting game. Pelton gave me some good pointers in my game with him that I am going to try to incorporate into this game. Basically defend Moscow and checkerboard the south. What am I supposed to do with Leningrad Pelton?

Before the game Bozo told me that he would make the standard pockets, I would break them and he would reseal them the next turn. I’m going to have to remember that Bozo is a clown and I think he tweaked my nose over the internet. I don’t know what kind of GER player he is, but as SOV he defeated Ketza (whose very name strikes fear into my heart) early on.

I have not posted photos before and I know they will look bad until I get the hang of it. I hope this one works. Sorry about that.

T1
The opening move by GER formed strong pockets that could not be broken, Riga was taken and GER mechanized are at the doorstep of Minsk. Airstrips were not heavily bombed again in this game, which may be the new normal. I just don't get it - destroying 3000 airships seems a lot better than destroying 1000.

SOV T1 Response:
Run away - with a plan. Start to form the checkerboard west of the Dnepr, rail some good troops up to the land bridge, and start to form Leningrad defenses.
All on map units - morale mean 42, experience mean 36.
Battles – 13 holds, 71 retreats, 14 surrenders, 8 shattered, and 30 routs, with 17 airdrops. 92 SOV units isolated in pockets
Casualties GER/SOV – 10.3k/273k men, 265/3.4k guns, 34/2.7k AFVs, and 43/832 aircraft (0 recon, 0 transport).

Attachments
Turn1.gif
Turn1.gif (2.43 MiB) Viewed 177 times
Griefhead

RE: Bozo (GER) vs Griefhead (SOV) BOZO Welcome

Post by Griefhead »

I'm going to have to figure out how to size it right.  Any suggestions out there?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

What version of Windows do you have?
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

Hi Carkay.  I have the home version of Windows 7.  I used  "Paint" to save the screenshots as a GIF file.  I did recently download "Photoscape", which I was going to try.  Any help is most appreciated.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I use the 'Snip' tool in Windows 7/8 to create my screen shots. It is easy to use and saves off to a jpg file ready for upload. Check it out. :)
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Paint is all you need. Keep it simple. It should look like this.

Attachments
T2StartExample.jpg
T2StartExample.jpg (778.04 KiB) Viewed 177 times
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

Your Lvow and Minsk pockets look better than the ones you did to me.

They should not be reopened.

Good job!
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: STEF78

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

Good job!
Though it has to be noted, that it is not neessary to break down every Panzer Division to form a continuous line. With the limited Soviet mobility on turn one a three hex perimeter, with a division holding every hex in its ZOC is enough. That way, you save the MP / fuel that is used up on recombining them.
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Good job!

Yes, our game is the trial run for the game with Griefhead. Hopefully, I won't make the same silly mistakes. For example, I DID move the Fins this time. [:D]
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

T2
GER has advanced 160 miles from Riga to Pskov, pushing back screening troops in 7 battles. The 6PAN sits 10 west of Pskov with other GER mechanized and infantry not far behind.
In the center GER mechanized advanced from Minsk 120 miles east pushing back routed and retreating SOV troops and now the lead troops are 20 miles from the Dnepr and the SOV defensive line at the land bridge. 80 miles to Smolensk.
In the south GER mechanized pushed 80 miles east, assaulting routed and retreating SOV troops. Led by the 13PAN moving southeast, 4 SOV units were pocketed. GER allies move east about 30 miles towards the Dnepr and Odessa.

SOV Response:
SOV built the beginning of a checker board in the south after moving east about 60 miles. The line is better formed north of Cherkassy to Kiev. The land bridge is firmed up 2 deep and the Dnepr has troops in defensive position 1 deep as far south as Gomel. Troops are positioned south of Leningrad to begin defensive lines.

All on map units - morale mean 44, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 3 out of 143 have experience > 49.
Battles – 6 holds, 38 retreats, 26 surrenders, 1 scout, and 16 routs, with 18 airdrops.
Casualties GER/SOV – 25.1k/514k men, 327/6.2k guns, 126/4.3k AFVs, and 75/979 aircraft (including GER 6 recon and 5 transport).

Comment Added at Post:
Thanks Bozo and Carlkay for the screenshot education. That "Snip" tool is very cool - never knew it existed. Since both of you said to save the screenshots as JPEGs that is what I'm going to do. I hope this works!
Attachments
Turn2.jpg
Turn2.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 184 times
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

Well that didn't really work.  The attachment is there but it has to be opened and then it isn't really right.
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

T3
GER advanced 35 miles north with light fighting and surrounded 1 SOV unit in Pskov. This thrust is led by the 1, 6, &8PAN and associated motorized units, with infantry following.
Heavy fighting at the land bridge defenses and the northern approaches to the Dnepr brought the GER forces just to the west of the river without it being breached. At least 6 panzer divisions and 4 motorized divisions are positioned to strike the land bridge defenses and cross the Dnepr.
In the south GER pushed about 100 miles east towards Kiev and GER units now rest 90 miles from the city. Further south GER panzers also pushed about 100 miles east, with the lead panzers being about 80 miles from Cherkassy. This push pocketed an additional 6 SOV units, including 3 airborne. Ger allies continue their march east and are now 80 miles from Odessa.

SOV Response:
Around Leningrad and Moscow defense lines are being built with reinforcements and stragglers.
The defenses below Cherkassy are almost nonexistent and the remaining forces will attempt to cross the Dnepr and start a tighter checker board defense to the east. The defenses east of Kiev will pull back but still from a line to the west of the Dnepr, however short lived that will be.

All on map units - morale mean 46, experience mean 36. Rifle divisions - 3 out of 164 have experience > 49.
Battles – 5 holds, 60 retreats, 22 surrenders, and 13 routs, with 24 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 39.9k/728k men, 401/9.5k guns, 232/5.7k AFVs, and 103/1176 aircraft (including GER 16 recon and 10 transport).

Comment Added at Post:
The screenshot (if it works) is just an overview of the whole map to show where GER is on T3. No real detail.
Attachments
Turn3.jpg
Turn3.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 181 times
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

OK, with some help I have figured it out. I'm going to post T2 and T3 again.

Attachments
Turn2.jpg
Turn2.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 177 times
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

Turn 3 overview

Attachments
Turn3.jpg
Turn3.jpg (604.51 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

T4
GER advanced 70 miles north with light fighting that pushed screening units back towards the main Leningrad line. GER movement east towards Lake Ilmen was a minimal 20 miles.
In the center the land bridge was attacked heavily by AGC, which consists of at least the 4, 7, 12, 17, 18, 19, and 20 panzer divisions and the 14, 20, and 29 motorized divisions with infantry support. The group advanced 45 miles and the lead units are positioned 30 west of Smolensk. The Dnepr defensive forces were not attacked and the river was not breached.
In the south GER forces advanced across the steppes cutting off land access to Odessa and pushed east to within 30 miles of the Dnepr. Lead GER forces are 80 miles from D’town.

SOV Response:
It appears by GER positioning that there will be no attack south of Lake Ilmen; instead the full force of AGN is headed directly towards Leningrad. Factories will be evacuated and the defensive line will be built up with reinforcements that have arrived. Little will be added to the defenses south of Ilmen.
The land bridge defenses will regroup and fall back towards the Moscow defensive lines with the Dnepr defenses falling back enough to maintain a cohesive checker board. Reinforcements will be added to the Moscow defensive lines.
The SOV forces on the Southern Dnepr were organized and strengthen with reinforcements to attempt to stop a breach on T5.

All on map units - morale mean 47, experience mean 35. Rifle divisions - 4 out of 181 have experience > 49.
Battles – 10 holds, 45 retreats, 15 surrenders, and 5 routs, with 32 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV – 56.7k/885k (+16.8k/157k) men, 498/11.3k (+97/1.8k) guns, 385/7.3k (+153/1.6k) AFVs, and 153/1397 (+50/221) aircraft (including GER 42 (+26) recon and 16 (+6) transport).

Comment added at posting:
I have finally figured out the posting of screenshots (with help from the WITE community) and now I hope to focus my attention on what is important to capture. Any suggestions are welcomed. It has been a pretty straight forward game so far but any suggestions on my narrative is also welcome.

Attachments
Turn4.jpg
Turn4.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 177 times
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Partisans cut one of the main rail lines on turn 8. A slight change of plan is in order. [8|]

Attachments
PartisanT8.jpg
PartisanT8.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Griefhead

Post by Griefhead »

End of T5
Near Leningrad GER forces pushed 50 miles north to the Gulf of Finland with skirmishes against SOV screening forces. The Leningrad defensive line was attacked at Divenskaya and GER infantry and mechanized are in place for an all-out assault next turn. There was no move east below Lake Ilmen. The FIN forces advanced east to the SOV wall at Sortavala, which is expected to hold, and they moved south towards Leningrad and will arrive at the fortification line next turn.
The GER push towards Moscow continued with the land bridge defenses being assaulted and destroyed. The remaining troops were pushed back to the outer Moscow defense line. A heavy concentration of AGC forces are grouped in this area. GER crossed the Dnepr in force and attacked screening forces west of the river. GER is about 20 miles east of the Dnepr from Gomel to Smolensk.
In the south almost no advances east or south were made and no battles were waged. Infantry forces were moved up to Odessa and Kiev and the Dnepr was crossed north of Kiev without resistance by a heavy concentration of GER forces.

SOV Response:
The Leningrad defenses reorganized and prepared for the GER assault which will come next turn. The line is weak having mostly F0 fortifications, some of which will turn to F1s by next turn. All factories of value are evacuated out of the city. The 30th Army, which had been in defenses south of Ilmen, moved towards Moscow to become part of the defensive line.
Most reinforcements this turn were added around the Moscow area to build up the defensive lines. The line is at least 20 miles wide from south of Vyazma to north of Rzhev and contains many F1 and F2 fortifications. South of Vyazma a checker board defense is set up that runs to Gomel.
Kiev is abandoned and the forces are moved back into a checker board defense against the approach of GER units that have crossed the Dnepr north of Kiev. From 40 miles north of Cherkassy the Dnepr fortified positions are maintained, having many F2s and F1s.
All on map units - morale mean 48, experience mean 35. Rifle divisions - 5 out of 205 have experience > 49.
Battles – 1 holds, 28 retreats, 6 surrenders, and 8 routs, with 25 airdrops
Casualties GER/SOV: 72.1k/946k (+17.5k/61k) men, 522/12.0k (+24/700) guns, 515/7.6k (+30/300) AFVs, and 185/1533 (+32/136) aircraft (including GER 57 (+15) recon and 23 (+7) transport).

Comment added at Posting:
The center screenshots were corrupted so just the north and south are posted. The GER push at the land bridge is missed. Bozo may start adding some of his own screenshots to help clarify the situation from the GER perspective.
It doesn't seem, up to this point, that HQBUs have been used by GER, which has allowed most arm and vehicle factories to be evac'ed.
I attempted to set up some sort of checker board defense this game west of the Dnepr but it was mostly a failure with troops becoming surrounded. At this point I don't think there is any good way to defend the Ukraine. I have seen some AARs in the past that have but I don't understand how it is done.

Attachments
Turn5.jpg
Turn5.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 177 times
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

I believe the middle is missing so here is the screenshot for that. Lots of tanks and infantry smashing through the land bridge.

Cool game so far! Leningrad will fall early but I'm not sure how the rest will go.

Attachments
MiddleT5small.jpg
MiddleT5small.jpg (632.3 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

This is the funniest battle report I've seen so far. I wonder how those artillery pieces got away. Did they just roll off?

Attachments
CombatT10.jpg
CombatT10.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Bozo_the_Clown

Post by Bozo_the_Clown »

Now I get it. They came from the SU assigned by the HQ.

Return to “After Action Reports”