Gate Way to Caen how much different

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series and focuses on the largest, concentrated British offensive since the Normandy landings in an attempt to penetrate the German lines west of Caen and cross the Odon River to get the stalled advance moving again.
Af1352pasha

Gate Way to Caen how much different

Post by Af1352pasha »

It is already about two weeks past from announcement of this new title from Matrix games, but there is a few information about this title in the forum except some confusing from unofficial members.

We know the operation epsom and link to wiki didn't help us about getting information about this new version, after several years of development every fans like to see some improvement so if title come with old AI engine , old map sets which created several years ago and old graphic , I am sure that it will be disappointing.

Some question and wish list certainly need to be came alive, I will list them and hope to get an answer from Matrix guys:

1. Firstly if there is focus on an individual operation ( here Epsom ) how many maps considered for covering this title?

2. As I mentioned in my last post there is a need to change about concept of maps, is there any plan to make bigger maps with bigger un-urban area surrounding every villages and towns? As I felt with ability of bigger battle group ( 21 slot ) and mounting capability this change will bring more challenge for players for each battles and maybe help lazy AI to do more active action especially during offensive phase.

3.tell us about engine, Is that exactly same as PIF engine? or there are some consideration for improving it and add some extra new facility?
As a brief wish some things such as bigger battle groups ( more than 21 slots ) , new types of barrage ( especially because it is Epsom with rolling barrage for British), nebelwerfer for German side ( as there is two brigade involved in Epsom area) and more than one support barrage for each battle.

4. All fans most important wish "AI", is there any plan for improvement? as I think one of the dis advantage of close combat series is AI action in offensive and defensive condition.I saw several time when AI player during defense put its AT guns at the end position of maps behind the building , At infantry in open position and infantry in the streets of town and villages!! Is there any plan for getting free about this? As most players played too many times with AI than net opponent this is not wish this is necessary for game.

my suggestion to solve some parts of this problem is creating one script file for each maps which tells to AI how to place its team ( some specified place for AT , Infantry , MG , tank and ... and also some way points for each attacking axis).

5. As I mentioned and felt from others fans going to 3D version is not first priority , however it will be happen in near future, but there are too many customer which like this simple standard 2D version if the technology behind it be match with 2010 decade not 15 years ago first family of CC.Every things is not going to 3D!!

We have several titles i 3D but from my point of view close combat is close combat because of its nature and its lived too many years becuse of its own specification. We only needs to see some improvement as I list above.

At the end thanks to Matrix and others for making this game alive.
We can never imagine a day without playing Close Combat for some moments.

hope too see some good news from Steve and others.

Regards,
SteveMcClaire

RE: Gate Way to Caen how much different

Post by SteveMcClaire »

There will be code changes for Gateway to Caen, but those have not been finalized at this point so I cannot give a complete list. The changes will be those needed to support the Epsom setting, and will probably not involve large-scale changes to major game systems like Battle Groups / number of team slots.

The number of maps will be similar to previous CC releases, though the map graphics have a new look that I think is much sharper and realistic looking.

Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Have you done anything to the zoom in effect that happens with the new scale? it seems not as noticeable in some screenshots, I find it looks kind of a normal pre-PitF CC scale.

Or you're using a bigger monitor and is not as noticeable?

Maybe I'm imagining things now, I don't know. [&:]
Hard-core Spectre
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

No change to the scale.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

If you have a larger monitor the change scale and not being able to see as much distance (meters in the game) is noticeable but not a problem like on low resolution/small monitor.

I use a 24" 1920 x 1200 for CC
Af1352pasha

Post by Af1352pasha »

Good source for reading about Epsom is Over the battlefield Operation-Epsom. too many detail maps with areal photograph.

wish list for this close combat title. At least 50 new maps! from tilly to caen
Conrad mana

Post by Conrad mana »

Hi hausser,

You're right about that! it proves to be a great source :) Just too bad Haglish isn't among us anymore.
Af1352pasha

Post by Af1352pasha »

Certainly agree, but his writhing is here with us,Also don't forget Epsom veterans which involving this huge battle we already waiting for play game of their horrible experience.surly both side, 15th Scottish division boys and Hitler jugend panzer teenagers.All body which lied in battle ground of Normandy! from Cheux to Hill 112. from Raury to Caen.

This will be exactly the gate way to Caen. and gate way to their sacrifice.

Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Suggestion/wish list item:
- in the scenario editor have spot outside of the strat layer where the BG's can be dropped and a single map can be selected (probably from a separate map directory from the strat layer maps) for user added/created single map battles
benpark

Post by benpark »

Please consider using less victory points on these large maps. The AI cannot possibly figure them all out. People remember CC2 as having the best AI- the maps were small, and the victory points were less spread out.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
sshnuke

Post by sshnuke »

So what's the engine?

Will it be CCE7.0 or still CCE6.0 like PITF?
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

As stated earlier, Gateway to Caen will be based on PitF, with changes needed to support the new setting.
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

will the new game have all the LSA options like borrowing and stacking etc or will it be like PITF?

also are you going to do anything with the way you pick your squads and support? PITF was horrible for lack or reasonable support options.
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

The system will be like PitF. However, British platoons and some ad hoc German BGs will have more support incorporated into the platoon structure. For the Brits, you will see a PIAT and a 2 inch mortar mixed in with each platoon.
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

That's great Cathartes, it was one of my doubts. Can you share more info on how are you organizing the platoons for both sides? are german squads representing half of an actual full squad? are they more abstracted? got any source for intended unit structures? some examples? etc etc.

I think Pitf was too strict with the supposed organization structure and didn't take in consideration some field adjustments in weaponry made by individual squads or platoons.
Hard-core Spectre
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

Can you share more info on how are you organizing the platoons for both sides? are german squads representing half of an actual full squad? are they more abstracted? got any source for intended unit structures? some examples? etc etc.

Hi Kanov,
Can't say more at this point. There's still a bit of work to do on the battlegroups.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Will there be transport vehicles and if so, will they occupy a slot on the platoon roster?
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

Will there be transport vehicles and if so, will they occupy a slot on the platoon roster?

There are a handful of transport vehicles. They are not part of the platoon structure. You will have to choose them as support units as in this example:

Attachments
transport.jpg
transport.jpg (194.91 KiB) Viewed 297 times
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

Colored indicators didn't make the cut uh? [:(]

Attachments
GtC_colors.jpg
GtC_colors.jpg (178.19 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Hard-core Spectre
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

Colored indicators didn't make the cut uh?

Not sure what you mean, it was never cut out because it was not there to begin with. Same screen information as Close Combat Panthers in the Fog.

Return to “Close Combat - Gateway to Caen”