Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Postcard From The Caucasus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Postcard From The Caucasus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Postcard From The Caucasus - 7/28/2013 2:25:01 PM   
tm1

Hi all
The war room a place to share tips, tactics and strategies, well sorry I cant share any of these from my current game but what I would like to share with community members like me who are just learning the ropes of this game some potentially disastrous mistakes concerning the Caucasus Region.
I also hope some of the more veteran players might share insight into getting out of this debacle.
But first some back ground information.

Fuhrer Directive 41
April 5th 1942 Hitler's plan for a limited offensive aimed at capturing Stalingrad and the oil producing centre of Maikop not a unrealistic proposal which could have succeeded considering the state of the Wehrmacht after the disaster of the Soviet 41/42 winter offensive.

Now to the matter at hand, having survived 41/42 in not bad shape I managed to retake Kharkov and captured Rostov and the 3 towns needed to split my Army Group up.I had a little under 4 months of summer but the Soviets still held the entire Crimea and my rail lines had not even reached Stalino. So what to do capturing the entire Caucasus was out of the question, then the idea a modified directive 41 plan.

Army Group B (Von Bock )consisting 4thRum,8thItal,1stHun,2nd,6th and 17th Armees(minus 1korp)would strike towards Voroshilovgrad pushing the Soviets back across the Donets creating a shield to protect Rostov.

Army Group A ( Von Rundstedt )consisting of 3rdRum,11th,1stPanzer,4th Panzer Armees and 1 korp (17th Armee ) would strike south, 11th and 3rdRum to attack the defenders guarding the Perekop isthmus then drive to Sevastopol.
4th Panzer to take Krasnodar and Maikop and 1st Panzer to capture Voroshilovsk. Once all Army Groups had taken all objectives all units would dig in and wait for the rail lines to catch up.

Both offensives began at the same time Army Group B brushed aside the Soviets and were in position in less than 2 months 1st and 4th Panzer's smashed through the defences within a month and headed for there targets this lead to the Soviets in the Crimea abandoning there positions and running to Sevastopol without firing a shot, as my tanks moved further into the Caucasus the Soviets evacuated all but 3 units guarding Sevastopol I could not believe my luck.
With 6 weeks of good weather left all objectives taken im thinking what should I do, I look east and apart from airbases an HQ units not a single Soviet combat unit in site, Astrakhan undefended and a chance to cut the rail link, to the south Grozny with maybe 3 units barring the way both to good to leave so I choose Gronzy 1st Panzer strikes and the city is mine. I dig in there and manage also to cut the rail to Astrakhan.

With no fighting in the Crimea I send 3rd Rum through the Kerch Straits and the encircle Novorossiysk then move down the coast road taking Taupse then continue on.

By now its October the mud sets in and my rail lines have not reach Rostov yet because I send them to repair other areas, the beginning of the disaster begins. 1st Panzer is out of supply so im forced to give ground so the rail link is reopened and soviet reinforcements begin to come south.
November comes around my motor Pool tells me I have 2005 thousand trucks ready but I need another 1005 thousand not to bad, still the Soviets keep heading south, with my Armee's partly supplied or out of supply completely a new idea hits me march 4th Panzer over the mountain range to Sukhumi there by cutting off the supply to both Novorossiysk and Sevastopol allowing my forces to destroy the defenders there free up the troops then redeploy them to drive on Astrakhan and stop any more Soviet troops coming south. Also I decide to send all reinforcements south to also go east and cut the rail line.

Well for 2 months I tried to drive my tanks across the mountains even when they themselves were out of supply and in some cases isolated it failed, the reinforcements sent to march across Kalmyk steppes failed due to lack of supplies, as well as being stopped by the Soviets, in desperation to take the isolated cities I have started bombing there ports.
Back in November as mentioned before my motor pool was 205k/105 its now jan 23 my pool reads 166/137 this has been a supply and logistic nightmare not to mention men and armour losses have been staggering.To add insult to injury the Soviets never fired a shot in anger and still forced me to retreat and Von Rundstedt has been executed.

Lessons learned
1. never launch offensives with overstretched supply lines especially in winter
2. never try drive tanks across mountain ranges
3. once you decide on a plan stick with it

im going to try to add a screenshot to this post to show the sad state of affairs I hope it works cheers

regards tm

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Postcard From The Caucasus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI