Port attack

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kriegmarine

Port attack

Post by kriegmarine »

Hi, I have a doubt, can I make a "port attack" with aircraft using their torpedoes?
I attacked the English fleet and my torpedo planes used only 250Kg bombs, so the attack served to nothing.
PD: Sorry for my english
dr.hal

RE: Port attack

Post by dr.hal »

The simple answer is no. When you pick "Port" attack you are saying to the system to attack port facilities and oh by the way also attack any ships anchored or more likely docked in port. Thus the gravity bomb option is the only option available. The only attack against a port where torpedoes are used is by the Japanese in the first day of the war when the "KB" is allowed to attack one port (usually Pearl Harbor) and use torpedoes (much to the disgust of the allied player!) and they quite often hit the USS Pennsylvania with torpedoes even though that ship was in drydock at the time of the real attack! Hal

PS Your English is just fine, as language is a tool for communication and that's what you did very effectively.
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

I believe that you can but you have to fiddle with the weapons filters in the editor.

That being said, to use this feature, you need to playing one of the latest beta versions. The Stock version is as Dr. Hal described.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Betty/ Nell and Kate will sometimes use the 800kg bomb - watch what happens then. Not sure what the chance is but I think the more exp the more chance.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Betty/ Nell and Kate will sometimes use the 800kg bomb - watch what happens then. Not sure what the chance is but I think the more exp the more chance.

I think average experience must be above 70.
koniu

Post by koniu »

Quote from manual

"Bombers attacking ports will attack any ships at anchor 50% of the time, however, TF’s docked in port will not be attacked. These attacks use bombs with only a small percentage of torpedo bombers using torpedoes (as it is assumed these ships may be in dry dock or protected by torpedo nets). If there are less than 10 ships at port, the chance of bombers attacking ships lessens with each number less than 10 (so, bombers would be more likely to attack ships if 9 were in port as opposed to 4)"

What small percentage is, nobody know. Maybe few people that can read game code.
Game manual have more FoW that game

And as mentioned earlier, if TB pilots have average XP above 70 they will use 800kg bombs instead of 2x250kg.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

The simple answer is no. When you pick "Port" attack you are saying to the system to attack port facilities and oh by the way also attack any ships anchored or more likely docked in port. Thus the gravity bomb option is the only option available. The only attack against a port where torpedoes are used is by the Japanese in the first day of the war when the "KB" is allowed to attack one port (usually Pearl Harbor) and use torpedoes (much to the disgust of the allied player!) and they quite often hit the USS Pennsylvania with torpedoes even though that ship was in drydock at the time of the real attack! Hal

PS Your English is just fine, as language is a tool for communication and that's what you did very effectively.
I'm not sure that is accurate. Certainly, my Kates will use torps on Dec 8. I'm pretty sure I have seen Kates use torps throughout the war on port attacks ... but after Dec 7/8 there just aren't that many opportunities ...
Pax

Return to “The War Room”