Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
update - 7/28/2013 4:28:21 AM   
Agathosdaimon

How is this game coming along? - it looks great from the product page
Post #: 1
RE: update - 7/28/2013 10:36:31 AM   
James Crowley

Deader than your average Dodo, sadly.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 2
RE: update - 7/28/2013 10:57:03 AM   
Agathosdaimon

really?- goddamn it !- this is too too often the answer i hear on games here in development section. Why do these projects just stop when they look to have so much done already? Hopefully piercing fortress europe will be completed one day, as will brother against brother, world in flames and others.

If this one is dead, Matrix should take this how category down from the forums.

(in reply to James Crowley)
Post #: 3
RE: update - 7/29/2013 8:50:04 AM   
Alan Sharif

I am rather hoping it isn't, after all, nothing has been confirmed. However, I will happily concede things have been quiet for an awfully long time so it does all appear rather a lost cause. Fingers crossed I am wrong as this title looks fantastic.

A Sharif

Post #: 4
RE: update - 7/29/2013 11:29:39 AM   
James Crowley

Had there been any life in this title one would have thought that it would have received a mention at Historicon; but nothing.

Given that there are something like thirteen new titles announced for this and next year, it seems unlikely, to say the least, that this will receive any attention.

It seems to be moribund and I'm surprised Matrix haven't deleted it from the 'in development' area, since it most obviously isn't being developed.

A great shame as it has some fantastic features, particularly WEGO, which, IMO, raise it above the majority of the existing WW2 games on offer.

Who knows that it may not rise, Phoenix like, sometime in the future - be on the lookout for flying pigs!

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 5
RE: update - 7/29/2013 3:08:10 PM   
Agathosdaimon

funny thing with this one too is that it has a product page up in the store too , which is something i thought that only games in the final stages have.

was there mention at historicon of other titles in development still such as world in flames, flashpoint campaigns or piercing fortress europa = i hope these are all still on the way

Post #: 6
RE: update - 7/30/2013 4:26:42 AM   
navwarcol

It was in the final stage a few years ago. You can leaf back through the posts where Eric, from MatrixGames, I believe made a wager that he would be buying drinks for folks at the Historicon convention....was it 5 yrs ago? If it was not completed by then.... really a bit annoying that years later, no one from Matrix even sees a reason to give an update in here, or even a RIP note, for that matter.

Post #: 7
RE: update - 7/30/2013 11:58:18 AM   
Agathosdaimon

if it was just an early stage project i would understand, but to have it almost finished and just stop short is a travesty of sorts - where are the developers themselves? I guess it would come down to them completing it? Surely if someone has enough perseverance to get so far with it, why they would just stop i dont understand - has something tragic happened to them?

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 8
RE: update - 7/30/2013 5:20:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

It is in a strange kind of limbo, I agree. It is not without hope, but not at a point where I can share anything publicly. At this point, there is a lot to do to get this back on track and unfortunately finding the time for that seems to fall mostly on my shoulders.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
RE: update - 7/30/2013 9:00:25 PM   
James Crowley

Looking back at that AAR, I really cannot believe that it was over 9 years ago

At that point, I believe, the game was pretty much finished for 2 player mode but had yet to have the AI installed for solo play. I wondered then, and now, if that was the sticking point.

Given the scale - battalion, breaking down to companies - and the fact that it is WEGO, makes it unique as far as I can tell. There is nothing else available that is similar to it.

Erik obviously has a very full plate at the moment and it is a pity therefore that any further progress is dependant on expenditure of his time.

One can only hope that he can somehow find the time but, given the huge gap since it was nearly ready to go, I'm not very hopeful.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: update - 7/30/2013 11:52:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

James,

CA suffered from the fact that I had to switch my time from spending a good portion working on CA to mainly running the company. The development team slowed way down after that point as it was primarily Ludo, me and the scenario designers. At this time the AI is finished but needs more testing and scenario fine-tuning, documentation still needs quite a bit of work and everything needs to be re-tested on modern technology. On top of that, a lot of the scenarios are from authors that at this point we would need to seek out again and renew contact with. I spoke with Ludo earlier this year and he's interested in finishing and releasing CA but unless I make a major effort, which my schedule has not allowed, it doesn't seem likely to release soon.

If the community is interested in having this see the light of day anytime soon, anyone with the time, experience and interest to help would be welcome.

On the plus side, had I not switched focus to helping run the company as a whole at that time years ago, you would have missed out on many, many other releases instead of this one.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 11
RE: update - 7/31/2013 9:40:38 AM   
James Crowley

Erik

Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation.

Unfortunately I have no computer related skills but would be very happy to help out in any other non-technical way, should there be any requirement.

Hopefully some technical folk will step up to the line; it would be great to get this up and running.

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: update - 8/1/2013 9:21:47 PM   
Capt Cliff

Yes thank Erik for shedding some light on what's happening with this game. A wego battalion level game is a rare commodity. People may flock to it. There may be a carrot out there for this game. I wonder how those ole V4V series games did on ROI? I too have limited programming skills or I'd offer to help.

Oh, I am willing to build scenarios for you ...

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 8/5/2013 2:48:40 AM >

Capt. Cliff

Post #: 13
RE: update - 8/2/2013 1:26:21 AM   
navwarcol

Erik, I have been watching for this one for awhile also, through a few deployments, and a few returns home.
Thank you VERY MUCH, for the update. I am glad there still is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel still stretches out for some miles lol.
For the record also, I am glad that you did what you did. I have a computer full of Matrix titles, and am glad that THEY were released.
I think (hope perhaps is a better fit) that most of those, including myself, who have complained about this particular title, mostly would be happy with at least an occasional update as you just did, or, even a RIP note saying the project is dead. Your company has always been a class act with customer relations, so it has just been a surprise sometimes to see this particular project just in its own, very quiet world with no commentary from anyone who actually knows. On the other hand, I can also understand the caution of making promises that cannot be kept.
In short.. thanks for what you do with this company, and thanks for the update here. I hope this title will someday come out..perhaps by then I will be retired and have more time to play with it.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 14
RE: update - 8/17/2013 4:02:32 PM   
geozero

Erik, Ludo, et al... let me know when we are ready to take it to the next level.

"I keep re-inventing myself"

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 15
RE: update - 10/5/2013 3:44:17 PM   
Agathosdaimon

Anything new on this front?

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 16
RE: update - 11/17/2013 5:45:55 PM   
wodin

I volunteer to help..

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 17
RE: update - 11/18/2013 11:35:40 AM   
Agathosdaimon

yes, please any news still on this one? certainly alot of people must be interested in it?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: update - 11/23/2013 4:34:21 PM   
Tom Peters

A long time ago...... 7 years ? I beta tested this for a while. It was pretty far along in terms of being usable. Maybe its time to junk the idea of an AI and just make it 2 player.

Tom

Post #: 19
RE: update - 11/23/2013 10:01:28 PM   
goranw

Why skip the AI.
A functional WeGo-AI type of game is the meaning with the whole project, I would guess.
The first try with the "legendary" game Road to Moscow didnt succed.
GoranW

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by goranw -- 11/23/2013 11:02:24 PM >

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 20
RE: update - 11/24/2013 4:43:54 AM   
Tom Peters

Toss the AI if it is the only block. I seriously doubt an AI can ever be very good.

Tom

(in reply to goranw)
Post #: 21
RE: update - 11/24/2013 8:28:18 AM   
goranw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Peters

Toss the AI if it is the only block. I seriously doubt an AI can ever be very good.

Tom

Hi!
I guess you mean an AI of the WeGo type.
(Otherwise I would like to mention the AI in the game War in the East)
But if you do, you must regard the AI in War in the Pacific as not " very good"
and that is perhaps to have too big demands. That game has an AI of WeGo type.
And it was constructed quite a few years ago and we must hope for an ongoing development in the genre.
GoranW

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 22
RE: update - 11/24/2013 9:01:45 AM   
wodin

No..toss the AI you may aswell not publish.

I certainly wouldn't buy.

Flashpoint Campaigns is a great game to show an AI in a wego game can be good.
quote:

A long time ago...... 7 years ? I beta tested this for a while. It was pretty far along in terms of being usable. Maybe its time to junk the idea of an AI and just make it 2 player.

Tom

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 23
RE: update - 11/24/2013 9:04:51 AM   
Alan Sharif

I simply would not buy a game with no AI. I accept this is simply my preference, but I imagine I am one of many.

A Sharif

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 24
RE: update - 11/25/2013 9:19:23 AM   
Agathosdaimon

the game would need AI i wouldnt care for it otherwise. I like to play a wargame against a computer opponent that will be acting in a way in accordance with how that particular side behaved in the actual war.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 25
RE: update - 11/26/2013 2:47:42 AM   
Tom Peters

Look, seriously, no AI of this type will ever challenge a human after a few plays. Lord knows it was tried with V4V and W@W. The real fun comes playing against humans.

Tom

Post #: 26
RE: update - 11/26/2013 7:54:44 AM   
wodin

Tom...well this is said constantly..yet I always play the AI and have great time in my wargames and get beaten often.

People who play against others really need to understand that for many the AI is good enough and aren't interested in PBEM etc etc.

You sound like DSWargamer;)..this isn't you again is it Les;)?

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/26/2013 8:55:41 AM >

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 27
RE: update - 11/26/2013 10:56:45 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Look, seriously, no AI of this type will ever challenge a human after a few plays. Lord knows it was tried with V4V and W@W. The real fun comes playing against humans.

Tom

As Wodin says, but even if you're playing PBEM, an AI is important to learn the game. Heaven knows the original Combat Missions was appalling on attack, but it's a great way to learn the game before trying to play humans and getting fed up because everyone kicks your butt...

Even if it's not that good, an AI can be fun. I had the Third Reich computer game, and had a game as Germans and captured moscow in the 1944 scenario. I.e. playing games and making up ones own victory conditions can make playing a poor AI quite interesting.

Third of course is that perhaps there's not many PBEM players out there. If so, you've just wasted your money on a game with no AI and no one to play.

That said, wanting an AI for something like World In Flames is unrealistic, unless you want a wargame that costs 999 dollars...

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 28
RE: update - 11/26/2013 5:31:26 PM   
Tom Peters

Me ? I am Mad Dog, been around for a while, I beta-tested all the W@W games way back, and was part of the beta team also a while ago for CA.

I have yet to find any other comparable WeGo system like V4V/W@W.

Mad Dog

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 29
RE: update - 11/26/2013 6:00:23 PM   
geozero

I was a beta tester and created many of the scenarios for BF including some never before duplicated anywhere such as Narvik, Monte-Cassino, Okinawa, Saipan and Iwo Jima.

The game played well. Design was fairly easy and straight forward. AI was reasonably tough. WEGO is a bit clunky but worked well in BF and I tested many games with multi-users.

I worked on this game 10-11 years ago and worked on it for about 5 years or more. During that time I compiled a lot of data, including rare WW2 vintage maps (I am a mapping geek) and a lot of OOB data. I had worked on or started to work on perhaps 15-20 scenarios, and other testers and designers had that many or more. This game would have rolled out with 30-50 scenarios and a fully functional editor.

One of the areas I was most proud of to contribute was to insist that unit counters could be colored using any of the standard 16 million color pallet colors in MS OS. The variety of unit types and colors were endless... the maps were beautiful... and the gameplay truly second to none.

I have asked over the years "what's up" and offered my free time and service to work on this game to no avail. I have had no responses.

I see Matrix delivers about one game a week. Truly awesome. Yet none will stack up to this game. None.

I am getting to that age where I don't know if I can play anymore... life takes us on different journeys sometimes. I have thousands of dollars invested yet nothing worthwhile to contribute. Shame really.

"I keep re-inventing myself"

(in reply to Tom Peters)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> update Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI