Mechwarrior online

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jim D Burns

Mechwarrior online

Post by Jim D Burns »

OK, I’m impressed with the look of this game in the video on their page. I fondly remember playing the old MechWarrior games back in the day, but they were single player and I doubt as hectic as online play will probably be. Anyone play this yet? How does it play is it like any other shooter aimed at the twitch and jerk crowd, or are things slow paced enough you have time to take it all in and ponder strategies?

I’m also leery of any game that says play for free, my guess is their revenue stream comes from unlocking parts of a game or something for cash, anyone familiar with what this thing actually costs you?

Jim

http://mwomercs.com/landingpad?csi=21_23_22
sysrkm

RE: Mechwarrior online

Post by sysrkm »

Hello Jim,

My wife and I play this game a lot. I LOVED the old Mechwarrior games until Microflaccid got their hands on it, but even then, the MW4 series, Vengence, Black Knight and Mercenaries were still fun in their own right.

Both of my sons are twitch gamers, NOT AT ALL used to somewhat real ballistics (bullet drop, muzzle velocity differences) nor tactics so I get to 'own' them or 'school' at this game and it really p!sses them off. No fun like busting your kids' chops on a continuous basis!

We've been playing the 'beta' since late last year and yes it's free to play.
That being said, you can have MUCH more fun if you invest a little, like buying a 'hero' mech which earns 30% extra C-bills from each match.

Some of the restrictions are, I believe, you can't alter a 'trial' mech, which is what you'll pilot if you're FTP. But you CAN make enough C-Bills (money you earn in game) to purchase MOST of the mechs available. THEN with an 'owned' mech, you can refit it with different armor, weapons, ECM/ECCM, etc.

But certain things REQUIRE Mech Credits (MC's) like Hero Mechs (30% bonus to C-Bills earned) Champion Mechs (10% bonus to XP earned) Premium Time (50% bonus to BOTH C-Bills and XP earned) and YES the Premium Time bonus stacks with Hero and Champ mech bonuses. MC's are also required to purchase cockpit items (hula girls, fuzzy dice, etc) special mech paint jobs, and special consumable items.

My wife and I have so much fun playing, it's considered part of our monthly entertainment expenditure, so we've committed $50 each at 3 month intervals.

I think right now they have something called the 'Cadet Bonus,' which will over 25 matches reward you with about 8 million C-Bills, enough to buy any but the most expensive Atlas, I believe.

Anyway, give it a try, and if possible play in a GROUP (Lance) it's a lot more fun that way. Lani and I have met some great folks online and we play as a lance weekly.

Also, you might want to get a headset with a mic and download the free C3 voip app. That's what most of the folks to communicate in game.

Jim, if you have any more questions, please email me at thanatos74@gmail.com and I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my ability. Also, if you decide to play, send me a friend invite to thanatos74 on both MWO Online and C3.

If you liked the old Mechwarrior series, I think you'll like MWO Online a lot!

Regards,

Rob, 'Thanatos74' McClure
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

This is a great game, don't be leary of trying it. Syskm covered it well. It has a steep learning curve but just keep at it and ask question if you need to. Hope to see you on the field of battle ;)
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I was ecstatic about this until I tried the beta and discovered that joystick/throttle support was very much an afterthought. You had to create a text file and adjust the settings from outside the game. Even after endless tweaking it was pretty awful so I gave up. Anyone know if that aspect has improved?
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be taking a look for sure. If I get into the game I'll get in touch Rob, thanks for the in depth post.

Jim

Return to “General Discussion”