Confused about research

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Trantor

Confused about research

Post by Trantor »

My total research is 300 and then i have technocracy so my research should be at least 450. then i have a leader that boosts research also. But if you look at the screenshot my actual research is less than 300. My race is zennox by the way.

Is this a bug? or what could be the explanation?

Attachments
20130724_091929.jpg
20130724_091929.jpg (401.43 KiB) Viewed 138 times
Icemania

RE: Confused about research

Post by Icemania »

Your total output is 694 (i.e. 208 + 278 + 208). This looks right ... your total potential is 415, plus 50% for Technocracy is 622, and you have a 34% specific bonus for Energy (i.e. increasing 208 to 278).

Here is a great old post from Nedrear that will help:

Research Guide
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ok i think i get it now. So the "total empire research potential" of 415 is capping my research?

How do you increase "total empire research potential"? , with more population?
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Yes, TERP is the cap. As I understand TERP is a function of strategic value but with diminishing returns, more here:

More About Research
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Ok thanks.
mSterian

Post by mSterian »

I'm pretty confused about research as well.

Is there a simple way to see if I need or not to build a new research station?

What I understand for now is:
Research CAPACITY is summed up between the 3 areas (energ, weap, HT) and anything over the Research POTENTIAL is wasted.
f.e if total Research CAPACITY = 900 and Research POTENTIAL is 600, that's 300 capacity wasted?

If above it true, my only questions is about the bonuses listed on the right.
Do they affect the Research potential or capacity?

As it seems, the GREEN bonuses at the very top affect the Potential... and the ones below (under the max ship size and base size) affect specific Capacities on the left.

Please do shed some light.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Yes, your understanding is correct, 300 capacity would be wasted in that example.

I only ever use 3 labs, 1 for each field, in the best possible location, and modify the number of labs in my custom designed labs to suit the % split between research fields that I desire at the time ... with total capacity only slightly higher than potential as it's slow growth.

Yes, the Green Bonus of 50% applies to Potential. The 34% is specific to Energy, but in time I'd be looking for a location with a bonus (i.e. the "+0% from location" can become as much as 30%), and also better location for Weapons and High Technology.

The threads referenced above are well worth the read.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”