Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the West - From Historicon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2014 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2013 - The Home of Wargamers >> War in the West - From Historicon Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the West - From Historicon - 7/23/2013 6:07:48 PM   
Iain McNeil

Hi guys

here are the details that Joel Billing's & Gary Grigsby released at our annual press conference at Historicon on War in the West. It was great to get the chance to meet them and getting Gary our is a rare treat!

Gary Grigsby

Joel Billings

Gary Grigsby's War in the West 1943-1945

Main Features

* The game covers July 1943 to July 1945.
* Each turn lasts one week.
* Each hex covers 10 miles.
* The map is an enormous 36,000 hexes!
* It is an enhanced War in the East system with more comprehensive air and naval operations and supply systems.
* Scale is Division/Brigade/Regiment with supporting Battalions, but modeled down to the last man, tank and gun.
* There are 14 Allied and 5 Axis nationalities in the game.
* It includes a fully featured scenario editor
* There are optional rules to allow you to control the allocation of forces to the east front, or let it stay historical. If you manage it by hand, allocating troops slows the Soviet advance and removing them hastens it, all shown on a global strategy map.
* The game includes 3 main campaigns and 7-9 smaller scenarios.

Major Changes from War in the East

Here is a summary of the main changes since War in the East and they'll be explored in more detail below.
I. Map
II. Air War
III. Logistics
IV. Weather
V. Axis Garrisons
VI. East Front Control Option
VII. Amphibious and Airborne Landing Rules
VIII. Multi-role Support Units
IX. Victory Conditions

I. Map

 Huge size (36k hexes versus 25k for WitE).
 New terrain types for bocage, tundra, desert, sand, escarpment/impassable, ferries.
 Road Quality by Country
 Improved weather graphics showing all effects; ground, air and water (ice).
 Improved map projection that minimizes map distortion effects caused by using a flat map for a round world.
 The map is built as a part of an enormous War in Europe map which is 378x355 hexes, so is a building block to a future "mega on an unprecedented scale" game (134k hexes)
 New tile generated map will make it easier for us to complete the full map, and/or revise map data as needed.

II. Air War
Detailed Strategic Bombing and improvements to non-ground support missions

 Different system/ execution phase for air based on air directives to air force HQs
 Fixed airfields on map withadditional construction possible
 More types of missions
– Ground Support
– Ground Attack (interdiction of units/supply/rail, airfield attack, ground unit attack)
– Strategic Bombing
– Reconnaissance
– Air Superiority
– Naval Patrol
 Improved resolution of interdiction, less gaminess in airfield bombing and fighter sweeps

III. Logistics
More realism plus supply issues of invasions

IV. Weather
More realism and granularity in weather generation and effects

 8 Weather Zones
 6 Ground Conditions
 6 Air Conditions
 Ice Conditions in Rivers
 Weather determined by combination of weather zones and 5 possible weather fronts that move across the map

V. Axis Garrisons

 Garrison Regions - requires minimum garrisons in combat value of troops – changes over time and with major events.
 Garrison Cities - requires security units and a large garrison – also changes over time.
 Not fulfilling garrison requirements will increase partisan attacks on rail in the area as well as costing victory points.

VI. East Front Control Option
(For Long Campaigns)
a. East Front Screen provides info on German forces, front line and Soviet offensive potential.
b. Units may be moved between fronts. Player chooses which if any German units on the East Front are pulled back to refit.
c. Soviet controlled hexes are shown on the map.
d. When using EFC Option, game ends when Berlin falls or can last until the end of July 1945. When not using the EFC Option the game ends in early May 1945 (or earlier if Allies capture Berlin) and movement of units between fronts is based on historical movements.

VII. Amphibious and Airborne Landing Rules

 Amphibious and Airborne Prep Points and Target Hexes
 Airpower Impact on Naval Movement
 Amphibious HQs with Naval Support and Temporary Ports
 Commando and Ranger supporting landings
 Separate Amphibious and supporting airborne landing phase at start of other player’s turn
 Coordinated airborne landings with non-amphibious forces during own turn

VIII. Multi-role Support Units

 Support units that can switch between off-map support and on map unit status
 Large Multi-role units divide into 3 parts when made support units (break regiment into 3 battalions)
 Support ranger and commando units have special amphibious abilities

IX. Victory Conditions

 Factors Considered in Campaign Victory Conditions
- Cities Controlled Each Turn
- Damage From Allied Strategic Bombing
- Partisan Activity (failure of Axis to garrison)
- Allied Casualties
- Failure To Achieve Italian and French Beachheads
- Political Targets (U-boat and V-weapon factories and V-weapon launch sites)
- Timing of Fall of Berlin

The Future: War in the … and beyond
• War in the East 2.0 - a remake of War in the East using the War in the West engine and new map system (another building block foe the mega game).
• War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)
• War in the West 1941-43 (Mediterranean)
• War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!
• World at War: A World Divided – iPad
• Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career.

< Message edited by Iain McNeil -- 7/23/2013 6:10:03 PM >

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com
Post #: 1
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/23/2013 9:27:34 PM   
Greyshaft

<drool...>

So is there an estimated release date? I understand that schedules blow out sometimes, but could you provide a "not before" date?

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/23/2013 9:53:37 PM   
hafer

quote:

• War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!

This could be the best day in my life!

Post #: 3
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 1:53:15 AM   
DSWargamer

"• Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career."

Ok that over rides any news about any game on any device.

Steel Panthers is the ASL of computer wargaming, like as with ASL, there is ASL and then 'other wargames', with a reborn Steel Panthers, I wouldn't need other computer wargames.

But War in the West looks stunning (as if it needed to be said), not sure there is enough time in my life to enjoy it properly.

(in reply to hafer)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 5:51:31 AM   
AZ Gung Ho

An updated Steel Panthers??? PUH-LEASE make it so Mr. Gary sir!!! javascript:void(AddText('[\&o]'))

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.marshianchronicles.com
www.usmcraiders.com

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 9:05:40 AM   
Don77

Oh well,

Time to get unemployed early, so I have time to bone up on the rules....

Don

(in reply to AZ Gung Ho)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 2:54:03 PM   
Commanderski

very impressive! Thanks for the updates!

(in reply to Don77)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 3:15:15 PM   
sami heimola

Wow great news! Hmm could it be "Steel Panthers IV"? It could be nice to know timeline (only WW2 or even more "modern" times)... Time will tell

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 8
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 9:08:07 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

"• Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career."

Steel Panthers is the ASL of computer wargaming, like as with ASL, there is ASL and then 'other wargames', with a reborn Steel Panthers, I wouldn't need other computer wargames.

Oh boy that really is exciting news, I mean we have been talking about that game for I don't know how many years now.
Ofourse it may take a few years...

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 9
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/24/2013 11:58:02 PM   
wodin

quote:

But War in the West looks stunning (as if it needed to be said), not sure there is enough time in my life to enjoy it properly.

+infinity I've been waiting for Gary to go do a proper wargame for a long time now;)

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/25/2013 1:45:39 AM   
JEB Davis

If you do an updated SP:WaW just remember one thing...

DON'T RUIN IT WITH B.S. FANCY CRAP, just make it true to the SP:WaW we now love but with the improvements & fixes that so many threads have discussed here and at the Depot and Enhanced forums. And please don't lose any of the detail it has now and turn it into something like the Camo versions.

SP:WaW doesn't need much fixing as it is now. Perhaps fix Windows compatibility issues, give it a higher screen resolution, fix bugs, and expand the OOB capacities.

Reduce unrealistic SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage" (v8.403 or Enhanced):
Settings: 90S,80H,100RR,XXXTQ,110TT,150IT,180AvS,130AvA,150SOF / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Visit the Enhanced forum at http://enhanced.freeforums.org

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/25/2013 9:31:09 AM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

+infinity I've been waiting for Gary to go do a proper wargame for a long time now;)

Sigh, got yourself on the "unwanted guestlist" again have you?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/26/2013 1:47:27 PM   
vonRocko

Steel panthers should be first on the list. It would probably sell more than all the other planned games combined.It could be ten years before we see this.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 13
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/26/2013 2:03:17 PM   
DSWargamer

I think most of us reeeeeeeally only want to be able to play actual Steel Panthers with all the years of wonderful user created materials available, and NONE of the garbage that has resulted from the game having originated in a time before we were even finished dissing Windows 98.

Fact, the armpits that actually own the rights, have no interest in selling the rights. And if I had the single foggiest clue why some companies do that, I'd tell you. They are just being armpits.

So the day when we get to see the game fixed and restored to a paid product worth mention will NOT happen in our life times.

You can still of course play Steel Panthers, it's not like it doesn't run. It just runs better if you have a computer that is so old your grandfather likely functions better, running a now antique grade OS, all so you can not need to fiddle with and fuss over issues like maniac mouse movement and graphics idiocy.

I have Windows 8 and I can run the game just fine on my new laptop just fine through a vanilla install. Well by just fine, I mean I can get it to play and not need any quick fixes. You can forget expecting to get rid of the maniac mouse movement.

I use the computer for other than Steel Panthers though, so sitting in front of a computer running a now unacceptable XP or a no longer fresh enough Windows 7 is not acceptable. Go ahead, hate Windows 8 if you feel a need, but this average user is fully able to format and reinstall an OS casually when required, and Windows 8 can smugly out do your earlier OSs. And that is the simple truth. You are NOT required to use any of the Metro if you don't want to and there is NO learning curve.

But the only way we are getting Steel Panthers back, is if Gary wipes the slate clean, realizes it is just a 2d top down view point game of individual squads and single vehicles that uses turns and hexes set in WW2 primarily and not specific to any nation for the player. It plays hot seat as well as the usual multiplayer. And it doesn't need to be called Steel Panthers X. If Gary makes it, and it looks like the description I gave, we all KNOW what it will be, and the armpits that own the rights to an old game called Steel Panthers can drop dead.

But until someone actually just makes the damned game, we will continue to invest time on forums complaining. We don't want 3d we don't want real time and we don't want it to be anything Steel Panthers never was. I see all sorts of developers making all sorts of games and then claiming 'oh we wanted to try something different'. They all need a collective smack in the head and told, THAT'S NOT WHAT WE HAVE BEEN ASKING FOR.

Now it's time to clean the kitchen if you don't mind :)

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 14
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/26/2013 6:33:08 PM   
cfulbright

How about an answer on the question - roughly when do you think we will see War in the West?

(in reply to DSWargamer)
Post #: 15
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/26/2013 9:27:56 PM   
BigDuke66

"movement of units between fronts is based on historical movements."
Well does it mean it doesn't matter how the war runs for unit movements? Reminds me of Stalingrad Divisions disappearing even if there was no Stalingrad...

For SP, go for winSPWW2and winSPMBT both still kick ass!

JOIN The Blitz Wargaming Club

"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 16
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/29/2013 4:14:55 PM   
Philkian

Hi cfulbright, the game is in deep development by now so the release date won't be before 2014 for sure. Clearer information will be given in the next month :)

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 17
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/29/2013 6:30:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Actually, War in the West is scheduled for the end of this year, so before Christmas. Whether we make that date is always another question but that's our goal.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Philkian)
Post #: 18
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 7/29/2013 8:52:31 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Actually, War in the West is scheduled for the end of this year, so before Christmas. Whether we make that date is always another question but that's our goal.

Thanks. I have reset my expectations accordingly and promise not to fuss if the deadline is missed.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/10/2013 5:23:19 PM   
resinslinger

War In Europe???? Is this a computer version of the old SPI board war-game of the same name? If so, it would indeed be a gigantic game and very complex, but I'd buy it.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 20
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/10/2013 6:52:46 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

I just saw this, this excites me.

Flipper

Post #: 21
Team play with War in the West ? - 8/10/2013 9:58:33 PM   
Greyshaft

Has GG et. al. considered the possibility of adding multi-player Command and Control tools into the final War In Europe release and I don't mean just PBEM and Chat on a Matrix server. Here's some ideas I have (and this is all off the top of my head and half-baked ideas barely two minutes old):

Provide the ability to define individual areas of control for players on one team say East Front, West Front and Med... but the ability to change those boundaries.
* A new player joins so split the east front in two with Tom in the north and Dick in the south.
* The allies invade in Normandy so give Harry control of that immediate area (from Bordeaux to Calais ... or anything within 20 hexes of Caen ... or some other mechanism)

Of course all of this will always work on a gentlemen's agreement between the players, but can control of units and and generation of reports be allocated between players? So Harry's reports only show those units he has been given to work with by Der Fuhrer? A game of this size WILL lead to confusion between team members and perhaps tools can be created to make the job easier?

I need to bake this idea a bit further.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to flipperwasirish)
Post #: 22
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/10/2013 10:38:26 PM   
wodin

Not sure what you mean..but I will say yes anyway
quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

quote:

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 23
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/10/2013 10:45:04 PM   
VManteuffel

It seems to be another masterpiece !

Post #: 24
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/11/2013 2:00:34 AM   
parusski

quote:

Not sure what you mean..but I will say yes anyway
quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

quote:

quote:

The Dutch NEVER make sense. Still, this is such exciting news.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/13/2013 3:26:52 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

War In Europe???? Is this a computer version of the old SPI board war-game of the same name? If so, it would indeed be a gigantic game and very complex, but I'd buy it.

That would be the one by Decision Games. (No AI though.)

(in reply to resinslinger)
Post #: 26
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/18/2013 6:30:42 AM   
H Gilmer

quote:

Ok, I'm going to be sick.... but in a good way, if that is possible. So many good titles coming out soon. I'm all verklempt on what I will be spending my time on.

Post #: 27
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/18/2013 6:32:20 AM   
H Gilmer

quote:

No. I don't think that is what they are talking about. I think they are talking about tying the titles of WitE and WitW together into a seamless monster game based on that engine.

(in reply to resinslinger)
Post #: 28
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/18/2013 6:33:27 AM   
H Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

quote:

No. I don't think that is what they are talking about. I think they are talking about tying the titles of WitE and WitW together into a seamless monster game based on that engine.

But I may be wrong.

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 29
RE: War in the West - From Historicon - 8/21/2013 12:14:37 AM   
Pappy

quote:

quote:

quote:

But I may be wrong.

And then when that's done, they can tie in WiTP!

Windows 7 home premium 64
AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.40Ghz Processor
8 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5800 w/1GB
Planar PX2710MW 1920x1080

(in reply to H Gilmer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2014 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2013 - The Home of Wargamers >> War in the West - From Historicon Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI